Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sssca (Read 7085 times) previous topic - next topic

Sssca

Reply #25
The SSSCA, among other things, will make the following [span style='font-size:24']illegal :[/span]  

* Assembling a home-built PC
* sing a non-secure computer, a computer built before the would-be implementation[/b]he SSSCA) on a network. 
* Widespread development of open-sourced (non-copyrighted and "digitally unsigned") software. 
* Use of open-sourced software (essentially the entire software platform for the UNIX and Linux operating systems, on which Computer Science research relies).

Hahahahahahahahahahha!!!!

C'mon now guys, surely you know enough about computers to see that this is complete BS.  There are alot of people out there who write things just to start a fight, or in this case, rally a bunch of people to set their opinions in stone, so that when they have a chance to voice their opinion they will be strongly for or against the issue.

This is just to invoke thought and conversation.  There is NO WAY anyone can stop media piracy (at least in the slightly above average computer savvy crowd).  DID YOU KNOW that the same court that ruled against Napster, OUTLAWED the VCR in 1981 (until it was repealed about a year later)  Hahahaha...

The point is, while it may take a while to conform to a new technology, eventually everyone comes around.

Sssca

Reply #26
Zeradul makes a good point, and now I would like to make one:

The total concept of intellectual propery is unworkable bullshit... especially among the Hollywood crowd.  I mean, in Calfornia, stealing a movie script is like a rite of passage.  Many of the major films all of you have seen were never penned by the person in the credits... they were stolen!
Why wouldn't people take action against the theft of their "intellectual property"?  For one thing, Hollywood has the money and the lawyers many of these writers cannot afford.  Secondly, since it is so hard to make a living at writing, many writers have other jobs to pay the bills and don't have the time to pursue a case.
Intellectual property is a new thing.  Shakespeare's (the ones you read in high school anyway)  plays are not written by Shakespeare himself, technically.  When they finished a play, they destroyed the scripts so they couldn't be stolen; there were no copyright laws at that time.  When Shakespeare died, his theatre company re-wrote the scripts from memory.  No, they really did

Anyway I've written enough, so I'll wrap up with this: 
The SSSCA has a 0.000000001% chance of passing, since it's such an extreme example of cencorship, that our society will reject it.  However, such similar, less extreme cencorship still happens all the time.  Cencorship increments bit by bit, so it's hardly noticed.

my 2 cents... hell that may even be a nickel
Sometimes the best way to solve an employee morale problem is to fire all the unhappy people.

Sssca

Reply #27
How much money is the entertainment industry giving Washington?

Hollings was paid somewhere around $250,000 by the entertainment industry. I had a site with what was paid to who and how much but I can't find it...

This law will be a "silver bullet," alright... a silver bullet to Hollings' career as a US senator. If the law passed (which it won't), pretty much any American that uses a PC, TV, or any other form of electronic entertainment would become a criminal at one point or another. I can see the raid on little Jane's house because she was listening to her Aaron Carter CD with an unauthorized device! She can join the millions already in prison because they grew marijuana in their backyards.