Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sssca (Read 7084 times) previous topic - next topic

Sssca

Reply #1
Eheh.

Just thought this one was worth copying:
The SSSCA, among other things, will make the following illegal: 
* Assembling a home-built PC. 
* Using a non-secure computer (ie, a computer built before the would-be implementation of the SSSCA) on a network. 
* Widespread development of open-sourced (non-copyrighted and "digitally unsigned") software. 
* Use of open-sourced software (essentially the entire software platform for the UNIX and Linux operating systems, on which Computer Science research relies). 
* University and corporate research on systems, debugging, security, and watermarking. 

All of your computer hardware will require "policeware" or spy code/hardware approval to be sold. This effectively screws the overclocking and computer gaming communities. 

Don't know why... everytime I read something like this, I have a funny feeling for living in this hole, not in a "civilized" country...

BTW: cryptome is good.

Farewell;

Roberto.

Edit:

Just found it in the MPAA site:
Brazil, the largest market in the region {Latin America}, also has one of the highest piracy rates, with piracy losses topping 0 million in 1999. It is the position of the MPA that the Brazilian Government has, to date, demonstrated inadequate commitment and attention towards protection of Intellectual Property rights.

I simply LOOOOVE this country!

What would be adequate "commitment and attention towards protection of Intellectual Property rights."? Implementing SSSCA here?

Sssca

Reply #2
Originally posted by vladimirovich
Well. This could put end to all: MP3, OGG, MPC,and so on. 
Of course, it's unlikely this law would be passed, but who knows... Sometimes americans do strange and stupid things...
I don't think European Union or Asian countries will accept this kind of policy.. I don't know why US thinks it can do anything. Just yesterday it announced 30% additional taxes for foreign steel, practically stopping steel import. And US is supposed to be "free" country, "free" market??? WTF???
Juha Laaksonheimo

Sssca

Reply #3
Using a non-secure computer (ie, a computer built before the would-be implementation of the SSSCA) on a network.

Will the weather forecast, all airports, and all railway stations be closed at once until they build a new network for SSSCA computers with SSSCA programs ?

Sssca

Reply #4
Not everything submitted to congress gets approved. This is the perfect example.

Sssca

Reply #5
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
Not everything submitted to congress gets approved. This is the perfect example.

This hasn't even been submitted as a bill yet.  Keep tuned to Art Bell for further updates... :eek:
You can't kill the Elephant.

Sssca

Reply #6
What I think will be really interested is if it does get put thru and passed as a bill, then what?
Will hardware manufacturers bend over backwards for the US, or cripple them by simply not bringing in any more of the hardware covered by the SSSCA until govt folds on it? (If such a thing can happen).

I hate to put it this way, but if that is how it went, it would be a nice demonstration to the US govt that they are not actually the centre of the universe.

Not meaning to offend anyone from any country (unless you are a US politician convinced you are the centre of the universe. In that case, deal)

gnoshi
happiness comes in brown paper bags.

Sssca

Reply #7
This isn't really anything to get that worried about.  Obviously they're not going to pass something so ridiculous that it'd make a large segment of U.S. business illegal (i.e. selling computer components).

Sssca

Reply #8
By the way, I've just realized that it's impossible to implement this law. I mean

I'm vorking for cable television, and here we have some monitoring computers, too. Connecting tham to the internet is impossible. But on the other hand, they are just PC computers, one of them has a CD Writer. I listen MP3's and burn audio CD every day.

Every software has bugs. Just imagine would could happen, if "illegal copy reporting software" implemented in airport control system would crash. Is this worst of illegal mp3's? The Hollywood say "YES".

Sssca

Reply #9
How much money is the entertainment industry giving Washington? This proposition is beyond ridiculous and could never conceivably become law. Court challenges would keep it tied up for years if it were actually passed.

Sssca

Reply #10
*looks into glass ball*
I see people with implants that monitor brain activity. Whenever the person commits an illegal action he recieves a shock which paralyzes his brain and a report is sent to the police. All people are nice to each other and everybody is smiling... A small group of people decides what is illegal or not.
*squints and returns to reality*
This sssca would fit well into a police state. I hope that a nation who has written democracy and freedom all over it's flag, will not tolerate a law that so drasticly restricts their freedom.
Look at Europe (where there are so many people who think the US is inhabited by lunaticks and gun swinging teenagers, and that they themselves are so different): here in Germany we will soon have our fingerprint in our identity cards (how that should prevent terrorism is beyond me). The EU is developing laws and interfaces that let secret services easily eavesdrop on your phone calls and especially internet connection. (You could have the BND (more or less the German counterpart to the NSA), Police and foreign institutions all listen at the same time without one knowing of the other). There was the idea of storing your complete transferred internet data for seven years (afaik that is no longer part of the discussion). The interfaces and bandwith for the above should all be provided, paid for and maintained by the ISPs and telephone companies.
More and more cameras are installed in public places and everywhere.
While many politicians have fought against all this for years, it's now easy to pass laws that allow the invasion of privacy after the WTC attacks. The damage caused by this attack is much grater than "just" the loss of some buildings and thousands of lives. Just dare to fight for your privacy; you must be a terrorist then!
Do you remember Demolition Man? Whenever you said a bad word you would get a bill and fined some credits.
Fear the future.

Sssca

Reply #11
After reading these post, it seems such a silly bill to be put forward. Firstly this was put forward by a US Senator "Fritz" Hollins who seems to be in bed with Michael Eisner of Walt Disney, also it seems Hollywood is bank rolling his campaign fund with generous donations.

Secondly it seems the bill has failed in it attempts to become law, I am not too sure of this so if someone can clear this up it would be appreciated.

Thirdly the law would be practically a ludricous one, who of though using a computer would be illegal. Next thing they going to think of next is daily rostering of your life, as to keep tabs on what you are doing (using the reason of protecting the innocent from the suspicous people who fail to report tomorrows daily duties).

Fourthly there would be no Project Mayhem, as this law would prevent such from happening. Therefore the great minds would be driven underground like a common thief.

Well thats my 2cents  and I am not even American

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Sssca

Reply #12
Luckily, Intel and Microsoft (as the leading computer tech companies) are backing up the consumers, among a few other large companies.

Here is a great article:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/2764054.htm

(See also thread at AnandTech forums.)

Personally, I don't think they're going to get this through - most of the technical development in the PC sector is happening in the US, and they just can't obstruct it in such an extreme way.

Especially the prohibition of open source software would mean a total collapse in universities etc., since everything there relies on open-sourced software (UNIX/Linux). It just seems impossible.

CU

Dominic

Edit: Also take a look (and participate in) this if you are a US citizen.

Sssca

Reply #13
I don't think the SSSCA will pass.  First, there are still a lot of checks & balances in the U.S. legal system that prevent extreme proposals like this getting passed in to law (although they're being gradually eroded).  And second, there are a lot of people and companies passionately opposed to the SSSCA.

Sssca

Reply #14
Originally posted by Volcano
Luckily, Intel and Microsoft (as the leading computer tech companies) are backing up the consumers, among a few other large companies.

It's strange to see M$ against SSSCA, after all, they market the most successfull secure media delivery system. SSSCA would be all they need to kill MP3, OGG, DivX... and boost a lot the usage of WMA, ASF...

Of course, it would generate them lots of hassle to make all their software 'SSSCA-compliant'. But what's the problem with it, if they get another monopoly?

Roberto.

Sssca

Reply #15
Probably because they're smart enough to realize 'the consumer' will stop buying PC's if it passes.  The PC hardware market is weak already as it is... SSSCA could eviscerate it ,

Sssca

Reply #16
Originally posted by AgentMil
Secondly it seems the bill has failed in it attempts to become law, I am not too sure of this so if someone can clear this up it would be appreciated.

It has never even been submitted as a bill.  It is some radical proposal that has gained recognition, nothing more.
You can't kill the Elephant.

Sssca

Reply #18
Well if it is, it's not the end of the world. It's beginning of a WAR. Somebody would introduce 1) Peere to Peere and 2) Anonymous sharing program. There already a lot of. That would be greate WAR. Victim? Not people. Bucks. That would be greate-not-bloody battle. Who win? I can't predict.

P.S. Sorry, my english is poor, my mind is hazy...

Sssca

Reply #20
anways there are millions and millions of non-protected computers, is the government gonna make us throw them away and buy new ones?

Sssca

Reply #21
Begin rant mode:

A friend of mine recently spent 6 months in China. He observed that much of the software (in the broad sense) is pirated and very cheap. He had various compilation VCDs that have no release in the US. It has to be so, or not many Chinese would have access to the entertainment, computer or  'e' world.

If bills like the above were to be passed and implemented, the US would be holding much of the world to tech ransom.

I'm less inclined these days to even support the notion of intellectual property. It is becoming a kind of enforced slavery system by the "have discovereds". If the refrigerator was invented by Hollywood, you'd have to pay an annual refrigeration licence fee, and have any 'cold space' authorised by the US senate, or its designate.

end rant.
Ruse

Sssca

Reply #22
This could start a debate, but I think the notion of 'intellectual property' is rather foolish.  The term itself is almost an oxymoron.

The real issue seems to be one of control... and if you want complete control of something, lock the damn thing up in a safe.  Don't release it to the public at all.  Information has a kind of viral quality to it, and will spread once the cap is off the bottle, period.

Sssca

Reply #23
A computer computes.
That is, processes information.

If someone prevents a computer to compute, then it's not working anymore.

There's a law in France (as well as in any other country, I think) called legal guarantee against hidden defect : if a bought machine proves to be unable to perform the task for which it is made, or performs it in such a altered way that the buyer, had he known it, would not have bought it, or would have paid less, and if this defect could not have been known when the buying was done, then the product can be taken back, and the buyer can have his money back (sorry for the approximative English, I translated my best).

Exept for the "hidden" part, we're close to this case  !