Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac files from EAC wont play. WAV files not showing info. (Read 5678 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac files from EAC wont play. WAV files not showing info.

Ok I took a bunch of CDs started using EAC to rip and convert to flac and take care of errors. My hole plan was to buy a new head unit for my truck to play these flac files. So i started with a kenwood. Would not play these flac files. So sent it back and bought a pioneer still would not play these files. My wife had recently got a new cheapy sony head unit and it played the flac files fine so i desided sony was my ticket! Bought a much higher end sony then hers and it also wouldnt play these flac files. Hers still will no problem. With lots of frustration i tried some WAV files witch it would play them. While trying them i noticed WAV files made from EAC would not show info on the screen only track # but WAV files made from Windows media player would display all the info. This got me to thinking. Lets try a Flac file made from windows media player and see what happens. Sure enough if a flac file comes from windows media player it will play it.

So what in the world is going on here? I just don't understand why this is happening. I would much rather use EAC because of the error correction.

When i setup EAC i used the video on youtube by EposVox that shows you how to set it up.

EDIT: Yes each head unit i bought stated it would play flac files.

Re: Flac files from EAC wont play. WAV files not showing info.

Reply #1
Do other FLAC files play on the head unit?

Reply #2
Flac files made with windows media player WILL play. Flac files from EAC will not.

Reply #3
For reference the kenwood i tried was a KDC x500 excelon $120 unit. The pioneer was a DEH-X7800BHS $130 unit, and the sony i have now is a MEX XB100BT $200 unit. My wifes sony head unit that will play flac files made by EAC is a CDX-G1200U$75 unit. Pretty sad that the cheapest unit plays it haha But clearly something must not be coming out right with the EAC files FLAC and WAV.

Reply #4
My first guess is to try to set lower compression ratio for flac encoder in EAC.

Reply #5
My first guess is to try to set lower compression ratio for flac encoder in EAC.
It is rare but some devices struggle with compression=8
I expect all to work with compression=5
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #6
What tagging standard has been used on the files?

Reply #7
When i setup EAC i used the video on youtube by EposVox that shows you how to set it up.
I watched the youtube video. There are other mistakes but mainly:
Compression Options > External Compression Tab
uncheck 'Add ID3 tag' (FLAC uses different tags)
you can uncheck 'Use CRC check' as well
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

i noticed WAV files made from EAC would not show info on the screen
EAC doesn't tag WAV files
korth

Reply #9
I could see using the wrong ID tags could mess with things. Maybe make it think it is a different file type or something? Anyways i will try that.

Something i checked Same song ripped from EAC is showing 31.5MB where windows media player shows 31.3MB in size.

The compression value i don't totally understand where or what that is but from that link listed it is in this information from the "additional command line options" ??? Im not sure but here is what that shows. and i did not change this one. -6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

Reply #10
Compression level is set to -6 (-0 lowest, -8 highest) https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_flac.html#flac_options_level_0

Personally I change "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" to "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%"

%albumartist% uses the value from the 'CD Artist' box on the EAC main window
%albuminterpret% uses the value from the 'CD Performer' box on the EAC main window
korth

Reply #11
Compression level is set to -6 (-0 lowest, -8 highest) https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_flac.html#flac_options_level_0

Personally I change "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" to "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%"

%albumartist% uses the value from the 'CD Artist' box on the EAC main window
%albuminterpret% uses the value from the 'CD Performer' box on the EAC main window

So could the compression level I'm at be a issue for what i am doing?

%albumartist% vs %albuminterpret% If im understanding this right this changes where EAC pulls the info from my metadata at the top of the main window? Usually "CD performer" box is empty and CD Artist has the band name in it. Where does this info get put once it is a flac file? Could this also affect my head units ability to read the files? Clearly im pretty newb to this stuff haha

I plan to try each suggestion 1 at a time when i get back home later today.

Reply #12
If some files play and others don't, post a link to a short file that does play and one that does not and see if anyone can tell you what the difference is.

Reply #13
Ended up stopping by a old friends shop today. Hes been professionally installing and competing car audio for probably 30 years now. He pretty much talked me out of even caring about flac files and just stick with WAV. So after some searching i found that DBpoweramp does put the info with the wav files and it does work! SWEET FOR ME!

BUT since i started this thread and im sure later on down the road someone els will be having the same issue so i will continue to find a solution if you guys are willing to help still. As stated before i will try one thing at a time and see if it works.

saratoga im not sure where or how to upload a file like this? Any help there would be great. Iv never tried uploading music anywhere before.

Reply #14
I watched the youtube video. There are other mistakes but mainly:
Compression Options > External Compression Tab
uncheck 'Add ID3 tag' (FLAC uses different tags)
you can uncheck 'Use CRC check' as well

You are right! unchecking the ID3 tags worked. It now has no problem playing flac files. Thank you! Is there any way to remove them ID3 tags from the already ripped flac files?

Reply #15
You could re-encode with whatever program you feel comfortable (dbpoweramp, FLAC frontend, CUETools).
korth

Reply #16
Or you can rewrite tags using MP3Tag. Add files to MP3Tag, Select all files, Right click->Tag Cut, Yes, OK. Then again Right click->Tag Paste, Yes, OK

Reply #17
You could re-encode with whatever program you feel comfortable (dbpoweramp, FLAC frontend, CUETools).

Thanks!

Reply #18
Everything one might need to know to accomplish this is in the wiki:

Ended up stopping by a old friends shop today. Hes been professionally installing and competing car audio for probably 30 years now. He pretty much talked me out of even caring about flac files and just stick with WAV.
Given the background noise when driving there is no "audio quality" reason to encode files at anything more than MP3 -V4.  If you're listening to the same files at home, then lossless quality has value but WAV offers no benefit over FLAC.  Lossless is lossless.