Skip to main content

Topic: Differences between mp3 V0 and mp3 320kbps (Read 3281 times) previous topic - next topic

• loker
  • [*]
Differences between mp3 V0 and mp3 320kbps
Hello,

I'm interested in learning the differences between the mp3 V0 and mp3 320kbps audio file types. I have a basic understanding of sampling and understand that the mp3 320kbps scheme samples at a fixed rate of 320 kbps while the V0 type samples at a varying rate, depending on the density of information at a given point in the song. I'm under the impression that the main method of compression that the V0 type uses is that it eliminates higher frequency information when the song doesn't contain high frequency content. Am I wrong about this? What else does the V0 type do that the 320kbps type doesn't?

Thanks in advance

• saratoga
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Differences between mp3 V0 and mp3 320kbps
Reply #1
I'm under the impression that the main method of compression that the V0 type uses is that it eliminates higher frequency information when the song doesn't contain high frequency content. Am I wrong about this?

Yes, that is not correct. 

What else does the V0 type do that the 320kbps type doesn't?

It changes the bitrate based on what is present in the audio using less bits if there is less to encode.  Otherwise, there is not much difference.  CBR 320 files can often be losslessly repacked into roughly V0 bitrate files. 

• rutra80
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Members (Donating)
Re: Differences between mp3 V0 and mp3 320kbps
Reply #2
Thanks to bit reservoir native V0 files may be of higher quality than (repacked) CBR 320 files.
  • Last Edit: 15 February, 2017, 06:14:44 AM by rutra80