Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Finding duplicates (Read 4216 times) previous topic - next topic

Finding duplicates

Hello,

can anyone please recommend a software, which finds duplicate files (MP3 and wav.). I´ve tried one, but it didn´t find all duplicates.
I hope, that you have a better solution for me.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Finding duplicates

Reply #1
Find duplicates where? I think we will need a bit more info to give you any assistance.

john33

Finding duplicates

Reply #2
Find tracks with similar (or identic) names in different folders, to remove repeated files.

Like "PrograssivePink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.mp3" and "Pink_FloydPink_Floyd_Wish_You_Were_Here.mp3"

At least, that's what I guess.

Finding duplicates

Reply #3
I´m sorry for my bad explanation, but "rjamorim" knows what I´m searching for.
I hope, that there is a software, which does exactly the  things rjamorim mentioned. Please let me know!

Thanks

Mark

Finding duplicates

Reply #4
What's wrong with a Windows Explorer search such as:

*wish?you?were?here*.mp3

?? But I guess you're looking for something a bit more sophisticated.

john33

Finding duplicates

Reply #5
John,

thank you for your reply!
If I would search with the Windows Explorer it would be a real hard work(10.000 tracks) to find any duplicates, because you have to know, which files could be duplicates.
I hope there is a software, which finds duplicates automatically.

Mark

Finding duplicates

Reply #6
go to Download.com and search for "duplicate file finder" or something like that. I've used CloneMaster with some success; it is also able to find duplicate files with different names (if you copied and renamed a file, it can detect that). I'm guessing it also will find identically named files as well.

Finding duplicates

Reply #7
Thank you for your hint!

I searched in Google and I´ve found, what I was searching for.
It is called MP3 Filter (www.cathedly.net). Seems to be very good.

Mark

Finding duplicates

Reply #8
Originally posted by mark
Thank you for your hint!

I searched in Google and I´ve found, what I was searching for. 
It is called MP3 Filter (www.cathedly.net). Seems to be very good.
That looks like a pretty nice program.  I was going to write up a perl script to do it myself (basically compare filenames, but allow for some variation; i.e. Band - Song.mp3 and Band - 02 - Song.mp3 and 02-Band_-_Song.mp3 should all be marked as duplicates), but it seems I might not have to after all...