Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: POWERSAVES: New Options for a 2017 foobar2000 Good Year :-D (Read 1194 times) previous topic - next topic

POWERSAVES: New Options for a 2017 foobar2000 Good Year :-D

Hi all.
Happy New Year (... hoping so...).

Just one question:
is it possible to double the single "Playback / Prevent screensaver & monitor standby"
into two different options
1) prevent screensaver (doesn't mean HDMI stopping playing)
2) prevent monitor standby (mean real HDMI stopping playing)
... since i use a 10 min blank screensaver, and 1 hour standby (monitor) & 2 hours standby for workstation...
The first 10 min is useful to "save" pixels illumunation, but does not stop HDMI audio flow, so it's useful for me to make difference from this 2 methods for Energy Saving...

Thanks...

Re: POWERSAVES: New Options for a 2017 foobar2000 Good Year :-D

Reply #1
+1 this is very reasonable. By design it should've been like that anyways  ::)

Reason being is that because you set your monitor at a 1-hr_standby - you simply want to have the screensaver work while the standby mode is just there to really save power when you've been idle for that long.

With that said, the goal really is to preferably listen to music while having the option to go into screensaver mode just in-case you've had ended up with your eyes shut after 10-mins, especially if the room is already in a low-light setting ;)

So based on what i've read it sounds like an HDMI factor that prevents audio-playback if any sort of power-management is occuring in Foobar2000. Also, based from my experience (I don't use HDMI), this is also useful for AFK moments since we don't stare at a screen playing music (because there's no video playback to prevent power-management).

Reply #2
to preferably listen to music while having the option to go into screensaver mode
... you've PERFECTLY understood what i intended to say  :))  :))  :))

Reply #3
There is no function in Windows to prevent monitor from going to sleep and allow screensaver. It would require some nasty hack like disabling monitor powersave option for the duration of foobar2000 running. That would have side effects such as leaving the setting disabled permanently if foobar's process was terminated abnormally for any reason.
If you don't use HDMI audio output just don't enable the setting. The screensaver will kick in when things are idle and monitor turning off has no effect on your music.
If you do use HDMI output and want to allow screensaver, disable monitor powersaving in Power Options. You can always shut down your monitor from its power button when it's not needed.

Reply #4
So, no way to double screensaver from powersavings... gosh!!!

Theese are the Windows 10 requests from foobar2000

Deactivating "Prevent [...]" options
Code: [Select]
#powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
Nessuna.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] NVIDIA High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0040&SUBSYS_10B01187&REV_1001\5&31f84c15&0&0001)
Flusso audio attualmente in uso.
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
foobar2000 audio playback

Activating "Prevent [...]" options
Code: [Select]
#powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] NVIDIA High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0040&SUBSYS_10B01187&REV_1001\5&31f84c15&0&0001)
Flusso audio attualmente in uso.

I really thought i could enable screensaver and setting off Monitor/Workstation Standby independently... no way... it's not really important  :-[

Reply #5
So, about what i reported above, you can

- MAKE SCREENSAVER ACTIVE with prevent Standby: with Deactivating "Playback / Prevent [...]" options. Standby is prevented when foobar2000 is playing (SYSTEM requests). So, if you want Screensaver Active and make Standby Prevent, disable this option flag.

... tested, with a 3 hours playing (i have Workstation Standby in 2 hrs) i get untill the end of disks without workstation gets Standby WITH SCREENSAVER triggered (blank screen) after 10 min.

ps. after foobar2000 stops playing music (last track on playlist), System goes Standby, so no more requests to Windows PowerSaving Manager with fb stopped.