Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burning a DVD-Audio Disc (Read 36702 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Burning a DVD-Audio Disc

Reply #25
Strange, but Burn would have to decode the FLAC anyway (since FLAC is not valid for DVD-Audio) so why don't you just convert to PCM before you start?

Reply #26
Strange, but Burn would have to decode the FLAC anyway (since FLAC is not valid for DVD-Audio) so why don't you just convert to PCM before you start?

I am hoping (possibly wishfully) that Burn was going to convert the FLAC files into MLP so I could take advantage of compression in order to fit more songs on one disc. If I convert to PCM (WAV), then the audio data is uncompressed.

Thank you for your feedback

Reply #27
You said the stereo FLAC worked, so did it convert to MLP? 

FFmpeg supports MLP so you should be able to convert from WAV or FLAC to MLP in advance of authoring the DVD-Audio disc.

Reply #28
You said the stereo FLAC worked, so did it convert to MLP? 

FFmpeg supports MLP so you should be able to convert from WAV or FLAC to MLP in advance of authoring the DVD-Audio disc.

It appears I misspoke about 5.1 PCM files working. While they did not produce the error, they created a DVD-Audio disc with no audio. As far as I can tell, Burn for OSX does not support anything but two channel stereo. Bummer.

Reply #29
Oh well...   DVD-Audio is pretty-much an orphaned-obsolete format that never really caught-on anyway.   ;)  

You are probably better off making an "audio-only" DVD.  Or Blu-Ray if you "must have" lossless high-definition multichannel.

Reply #30
Oh well...   DVD-Audio is pretty-much an orphaned-obsolete format that never really caught-on anyway.   ;)  

You are probably better off making an "audio-only" DVD.  Or Blu-Ray if you "must have" lossless high-definition multichannel.

At home I have no problems playing the native FLAC files. I was hoping to create DVD-Audio compilation discs from my ripped DVD-Audio discs for use in my vehicle which will only play high resolution music if it is DVD-Audio or a DTS disc. I am leery about  traveling with my DVD-Audio discs for risk of scratching, theft, etc. since they are mostly out of print now.

Thank you again for your input.