Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: More obvious notification of PM's, please! (Read 3692 times) previous topic - next topic

More obvious notification of PM's, please!

Is there a way to add a more obvious notification when a user receives a PM? Roberto sent me one last week, and it took me three days to realize it was sitting there (says something about the amount of correspondence I expect, doesn't it?). If possible, even just a colored bullet near the "Messages" notification would be appreciated. Thanks!

- M.

Reply #1
In your board settings:
Do you wish to get a pop up notification when you get a new private message?

This will not work if you use a pop-up killer...

Under your email settings:
Send a confirmation email when I receive a new private message

Reply #2
In your board settings:
Do you wish to get a pop up notification when you get a new private message?

This will not work if you use a pop-up killer...

That's something I like more with vBulletin. It uses a javascript dialog box instead of a popup, so it isn't blocked by popup blockers.

Reply #3
Ah... looks like the "notification e-mail" is the best option for me, then. Thank you for explaining it.

@Roberto: I sent you an overdue response last night. Sorry for the delay!

- M.

Reply #4
Maybe just a simple blinking text indicating "X new messages" ?
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Reply #5
New browsers are so adept at killing attention-grabbing ads (pop-up windows, Javascript alerts, blinking text, animated gif's, etc.) that it's impossible to catch someone's eye when it really IS important. Spam-killers might attack HA's email alerts. Some big, colored text might work, unless the user has decided to override the site fonts. The Internet is like a ghost town, where everyone stays inside, locks the doors, bolts the windows, and shuts the blinds, just to get away from unwanted distractions.

The only way to get someone to read your PM is to break through their firewall, spyware blocker, and anti-virus scanner so you can redirect their browser to the "new messages" screen. Sheesh.

Reply #6
JohnV and I had actually been talking about this a little already.  When I get some free time, I'll take a look.  Dunno when that'll be.

Reply #7
I've suggested before making the "n new messages" in bold red if n>0.
Simple and effective enough.

Reply #8
I've suggested before making the "n new messages" in bold red if n>0.
Simple and effective enough.

Yep. I added that just now.
Juha Laaksonheimo