Skip to main content

Topic: New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched (Read 1516 times) previous topic - next topic

New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched
Hello everyone,

Looking for some direction here.

I recently hooked up a PL-990 from Pioneer to a Denon AVRS510BT amp with 2 Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones standing speakers, 2 speakers. I used 16 gauge wire from the Denon to the speakers.

I played a few records i am extremely familiar with and ive noticed the voices sound higher pitched then they usually do. Its a 30 vinyl running at 33. I messed with the pitch control a lot and when i got the instrumentals in line the vocals still sounded higher pitched.

Am i missing something? Any help appreciated!

FYI, i am extremely new so some terms and things you my ask me i may not quite understand.

Thank you everyone.

• mjb2006
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched
Reply #1
Look at the speed adjustment section of the owner's manual. Basically you choose 33⅓ or 45 with a button, and then you can fine-tune the speed with the speed adjust dial. When it is exactly 33⅓ or 45 (i.e. the correct speed), the stripes in the stroboscope window will be standing still. If you are in North America, you want the 60 Hz lines... ignore the 50 Hz ones.

• DVDdoug
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: New to vinyls, voices sound higher pitched
Reply #2
I messed with the pitch control a lot and when i got the instrumentals in line the vocals still sounded higher pitched.
The pitch of everything will change together when you change the speed so the vocals & instruments will stay in correct relative pitch and in tune with each other, although the absolute pitch will be wrong.   If the instruments speed is 10% fast the pitch of the vocals & instruments will be 10% high.  Like mjb says, use the strobe.     If you can't get the marks on the platter to appear to stand still, you've got a problem (maybe the belt is off its track or something).

If you think the speed is way-off (like the difference between 33 1/3 & 45) you can check that by counting the revolutions for 1 minute.      You can also check the playing-time for a song which is usually printed on the record.

I played a few records i am extremely familiar with and ive noticed the voices sound higher pitched then they usually do.
Are you familiar with the records or digital versions?     The digital & vinyl may be mixed/mastered differently and analog vinyl will sound different than digital because of analog limitations/variations.  
  • Last Edit: 01 August, 2016, 01:59:22 AM by DVDdoug