Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art Display Preferences (Read 1541 times) previous topic - next topic

Album Art Display Preferences

I have all of my album art saved to a single folder and I'm using the following format in Preferences > Display.

Code: [Select]
..\..\..\Artwork\Albums\%album artist% - %album%.*
..\..\..\Artwork\Albums\Soundtrack - %album%.*
..\..\..\Artwork\Albums\Various Artist - %album%.*
..\..\..\Artwork\Albums\$ascii($replace(%album artist% - %album%,\,,/,,:, ,|,,*,,",,<,,>,,?,)).*
..\..\..\Artwork\Albums\Soundtrack - $ascii($replace(%album%,\,,/,,:,,|,,*,,",,<,,>,,?,)).*
..\..\..\Artwork\Albums\Various Artists - $ascii($replace(%album%,\,,/,,:,,|,,*,,",,<,,>,,?,)).*

The strange part is that some files display and others do not. I think it might be that the issue is related to illegal characters but since I can't "see" the search pattern F2K is using, I'm not sure what to use for a corresponding search preference. Do I need to escape these characters when I use replace?

I haven't embedded the album art in these files so that isn't causing some of them to be displayed.

Re: Album Art Display Preferences

Reply #1
You cannot bypass what foobar does regarding illegal characters because it all happens under the hood before you even get a chance to do anything with your $replace statements.

These are the rules for replacing illegal characters in your folders/filenames if you want them to display.

\/:| need to be replaced with -
* needs to be replaced with x
" needs to be replaced with ''
<> need to be replaced with _
? needs to be stripped completely

If you want a really extreme example of how that works, tag a track with this as the album...

\/:|*"<>?

Now place an image in the same folder as the track and name it...

----x''__.jpg

Now add %album%.jpg to the artwork preferences and you'll find it displays just fine,.

Reply #2
These are the rules for replacing illegal characters in your folders/filenames if you want them to display.

Ah. The image files need to be updated with these replacements not the preferences. Thanks!

Reply #3
For reference these are the defaults used by file operations and the converter but doesn't really help you with your image filenames. You'll have to update those yourself.

(edited as original post didn't make sense)

Reply #4
Yes. I will need to manually adjust them all (again) but as long as I get things working I'll be happy and I can also setup Album Art Downloader to correctly replace the characters when naming new files that I download.

Do I also need to be concerned about using $ascii or does Foobar handle these as well?

Reply #5
Nope, there shouldn't be any need for $ascii at all.

Reply #6
Still seeing an issue.

The file is named: Soundtrack - Bridget Jones's Diary
The album tag is: Bridget Jones's Diary

Perhaps single quote/apostrophe needs to be handled as well?

Reply #7
Actually even files with no illegal characters don't work. I have a self-titled album by Yellow Magic Orchestra that won't display either.

Reply #8
No problems with apostrophes here...

http://i.imgur.com/eJaPhRN.jpg

edit: maybe foobar is having a problem with the images rather than the filename? Rename an image you know that works to test it.

Reply #9
Renaming the file worked fine and downloading a new file and replacing it did not work.

Reply #11
If you're having problems with foobar picking up a "named" file, perhaps you should copy the text directly from the properties dialog to the filename. It may contain some fancy unicode puncutation that is slightly different.