Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Copy from one computer to another (Read 1955 times) previous topic - next topic

Copy from one computer to another

Hi there,

I just want to say thank you for the software.

VLC was causing me MAJOR issues on my Win 8 computer & I finally searched for an alternative & finally found you guys & it WORKS!!! :)

So I just set up a new computer & is there a way to copy my current foobar to the new computer?

I have all my songs set up which took a while to do. I don't want to have to redo it all over again.

I can even access my laptop, via the new desktop, but I wouldn't even know how to copy it over that way.

Thanks

Re: Copy from one computer to another

Reply #1
If you installed it as Mobile then yes you could just copy across the directory you installed it into. Easiest way is export a playlist, reinstall on the new PC and open the playlist, should work I believe :)

Reply #2
Hi,

No I didn't install it as a mobile, they are computers, not a cell phone :(

Reply #3
By mobile I meant portable sorry, it's an option when you install. However you can copy your preferences across and as long as you copy all your music across you can just use a playlist or just reimport it on your new computer :)

Reply #4
Oh sorry. Honestly I don't remember how I DLed it.

I will try to find the export feature, but I still don't know how I will get that onto the new computer.

So you are saying I have to copy the actual music files as well, correct?

Thanks

Reply #5
If your music is on your old computer then you'll need to copy them onto your new one. It's nothing to do with foobar. They're just files like any other :)

Easiest is just put them on an external drive to copy across.

Reply #6
The copying isn't the issue, it's the playlists that I don't want to have to redo.

Reply #7
Open explorer, press F4 and enter %APPDATA%. You should now be in C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming and should see a foobar2000 folder among many others. Copy this to all your other computers' %APPDATA% directory.
If you then start foobar2000 on those computers, all your old settings should be there.

You should do backups of this folder anyway.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #8
The copying isn't the issue, it's the playlists that I don't want to have to redo.

As long as the drive letters and paths are the same they'll be exactly the same as they were on your old computer.