Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound Insulator [moved from General Audio (TOS #6)] (Read 1649 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Insulator [moved from General Audio (TOS #6)]

Is it possible to turn a normal room to a one with sound insulators (like studios)?
If so..How much does it cost?

Re: Sound Insulator [moved from General Audio (TOS #6)]

Reply #1
It's expensive.    You generally have to add layers to your walls (more sheetrock, or plywood) or do like pro studios and build a "room within a room".   You'll have to beef-up the doors and windows as well as add weather stripping seal leaks around the door.   Adding layers/mass to a wall isn't too difficult, but re-working the trim, power outlets, light fixtures, etc.,  is a fair amount of work.   And, replacing doors & windows is expensive.

Recording Magazine has had a few articles on soundproofing and I found a little information on their website.

I also got a few hits when I Googled "studio soundproofing".

Re: Sound Insulator [moved from General Audio (TOS #6)]

Reply #2
Is it possible to turn a normal room to a one with sound insulators (like studios)?

There is not just one answer to this question, since working studios are far from being similar.  Some studios are even designed to be acoustically live rooms, while others are designed to be acoustically dead, with many examples in-between.

If so..How much does it cost?

Really now, what is your starting point, and where do you want to go?

Depending on your starting point and its environment costs can run from just about nil to a king's ransom.

For example, there are strong variations among studios in terms of acoustical aliveness, but a high quality studio will not have sound leaking in from the environment. So now the noise level in your neighborhood becomes a possible source of expensive modifications.