Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SMSL SD-192 Pro (Read 5516 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SMSL SD-192 Pro

Reply #25
So it means the SD-192 Pro can even have better measurements, but due to faulty design or defective hardware it becomes totally unusable. What a pity.

Agreed.  It looked like a SPDIF ODAC.  It's a shame they screwed it up so badly.

Reply #28
I think this "packet noise" would just be swamped by the ground loop issue.  Take a look at my ODAC measurements in the other thread.  Bifrost's USB implementation also uses USB power for the USB receiver, even though it's a self-powered device.  It's also a UAC2 device that won't work with an isolation transformer, so it's the worst of both worlds.  Terrible USB implementation.  I can still measure it at some point if you want, but IIRC ODAC revB has a little bit better filtering.

Reply #29
Yes please measure it, since you have good measurement equipment so why not?

Reply #31
Thanks. So the (discontinued?) EMU 0x0x series are still the cheapest and best measured USB interfaces, not to mention it has recording functionality as well. Luckily my soundcard and mainboard still have toslink.

Reply #33
The results look promising, but does it still have that loud click sound?

Reply #34
It does have some noise, but as you can see from the 48kHz result, nothing serious.  I didn't edit any wave files.

Edit:  I did have to switch to a shorter optical cable vs. the Bifrost to achieve reliable 96kHz transmission.  Of course, the utility of 96kHz transmission is highly questionable, but I believe the DAC should at least function to spec and not require the user to downsample, etc.