Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the least bad portable speaker you've come across? (Read 14317 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the least bad portable speaker you've come across?

Reply #25
This is what I use.

Fostex 6301NX

On the basis that:  if you are more than an extension lead away from mains power you probably shouldn;t be making that much noise anyway: 4" is the absolute minimum needed to generate a pary vibe and most important, I've seen these being chucked around, covered in dings, dents and stains but you simply plug 'em in and they go.

Mounting bracket is expensive but . handy.

To downmix stereo to mono in hardware one of these is perfect.

Switchcraft AudioStix

Add a simple but effective BT receiver for phone, tablet and laptop use.

Generic BT receiver

I've got ADAM and EVE active monitors for home, studio use but feel they are too expensive to risk outdoors or in a travel bag. ymmv.

Reply #26
"One word: MiniDSP."

Does it work with an iPhone?

BTW I had a question about this EQ that I wanted to go with my LSR 305's http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graph...words=equalizer

It requires a twelve volt power source. If I get that external EQ, will it require two separate wall plugs, one for the 12V EQ and one for the speakers? Or will it require one wall plug and the EQ powers the speakers?

Reply #27
Actually never mind all that, besides a minidsp, what's a good EQ to go with my speakers?

Reply #28
Actually never mind all that, besides a minidsp, what's a good EQ to go with my speakers?
With good JBL monitors and presumably good recordings, I'm not sure you even need EQ.

I don't have an iPhone, but I assume there's a player app for the iPhone that includes an equalizer.  Maybe there's an EQ app that works with any player software...  There are a zillion apps for the iPhone.

Almost ever media player application for a computer has EQ.

Reply #29
With good JBL monitors and presumably good recordings, I'm not sure you even need EQ.

I don't have an iPhone, but I assume there's a player app for the iPhone that includes an equalizer.  Maybe there's an EQ app that works with any player software...  There are a zillion apps for the iPhone.

Almost ever media player application for a computer has EQ.

But then I can't eq it if other people want to play their music.

Reply #30

?

there isn't a media player or iPod on the planet that doesn't have an eq on it these days - they can just as easily eq from their player. (if I understand rightly what you are saying)  ok except the shuffle.

Reply #31

?

there isn't a media player or iPod on the planet that doesn't have an eq on it these days - they can just as easily eq from their player. (if I understand rightly what you are saying)  ok except the shuffle.

But that would be totally ridiculous of me to ask everyone to download an EQ app.

Reply #32
Are you going to tell everyone to undo any EQ settings they have on their devices already?

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #33
But that would be totally ridiculous of me to ask everyone to download an EQ app.
"Everyone" must be listening to their headphones/earbuds/whatever without any EQ now...  I hadn't actually realized that everyone was going to be plugging their hardware into your speaker(s).

Everything is a compromise...  My "portable" DJ setup fills-up my van and it takes a couple of hours to set-up (the lights take more time to set-up than the sound.) 

If I want a more-portable setup, I just use a pair of cheapo 2.1 computer speakers.  Usually with a laptop, but I could use my iPod classic which also holds my entire music collection.

I've considered modifying my old CD/cassette boombox by adding a jack to plug-in my iPod.

It could  be ridiculous to carry around a hardware equalizer, especially for someone else's music. 

It could  be ridiculous for you to mix-down your music (and everybody elses's music) to mono. 

P.S.
The 8-foot tall speaker stacks and the 8-foot tall "VU meters" in my living room are absurdly ridiculous!!!!  But, that's what makes this stuff fun!    (Of course, I use also those speakers and the VU meter lighting effect for my very-occasional DJ gigs.)

Reply #34
"Everyone" must be listening to their headphones/earbuds/whatever without any EQ now...  I hadn't actually realized that everyone was going to be plugging their hardware into your speaker(s).

Everything is a compromise...  My "portable" DJ setup fills-up my van and it takes a couple of hours to set-up (the lights take more time to set-up than the sound.) 

If I want a more-portable setup, I just use a pair of cheapo 2.1 computer speakers.  Usually with a laptop, but I could use my iPod classic which also holds my entire music collection.

I've considered modifying my old CD/cassette boombox by adding a jack to plug-in my iPod.

It could  be ridiculous to carry around a hardware equalizer, especially for someone else's music. 

It could  be ridiculous for you to mix-down your music (and everybody elses's music) to mono. 

P.S.
The 8-foot tall speaker stacks and the 8-foot tall "VU meters" in my living room are absurdly ridiculous!!!!  But, that's what makes this stuff fun!    (Of course, I use also those speakers and the VU meter lighting effect for my very-occasional DJ gigs.)

When people are all hanging out in a social setting like in my dorm or whatever, there's generally one speaker system that people put there music on, and I would like to EQ it so it's a little more musical and less "neutral" sounding than the LSR 305's, although I would still like it to be pretty neutral which is why I'm getting them. So that's why I'm asking what a good external EQ for them would be.

"Are you going to tell everyone to undo any EQ settings they have on their devices already?"

I highly doubt most other college kids even know what an EQ is lol.

Reply #35
When people are all hanging out in a social setting like in my dorm or whatever
A (hardware) equalizer in your dorm room seems a lot more practical than an equalizer in your backpack. 

...and I would like to EQ it so it's a little more musical and less "neutral" sounding than the LSR 305's
Have you actually heard the LSR305?*    I'm not sure what you mean by "musical".  Do you mean a "smile" EQ  curve that boosts the bass & treble?  Maybe you should listen to it before you decide to spend money on an equalizer.  Then maybe try the software equalizer on your computer to see if it makes a worthwhile improvement.

So that's why I'm asking what a good external EQ for them would be.
Any equalizer should do.You could probably get by with bass & treble controls (although you're probably not going to find bass & treble controls unless you get a receiver).  It's not like you're trying to equalize a home-recording studio or anything like that.

I highly doubt most other college kids even know what an EQ is lol.
Yeah...  A lot of "kids" push-up all of the sliders to make it louder. 

* I've not heard it but I've heard enough about  the LSR305 & LSR308 (and I'm a long-time fan of JBL) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 308 if I was in the market for a small monitor.  I'm old school and it's hard for me to consider anything less than 8-inches to be a "woofer".  I might consider the 305 along with an appropriate subwoofer.  There are at least 3 or 4 well-regarded 8-inch monitors in the $200 - $300 range, but I realize that you're looking for something smaller.

Reply #36
I'm using a single LSR305 (amazing) as a portable speaker, with an iPod. until now, I've been using a simple stereo to mono cable, connected to the TRS input. is there anything wrong with this? (what will I gain by using a summing adapter?)

RonaldDumsfeld's tip got me thinking again...

To downmix stereo to mono in hardware one of these is perfect.

Switchcraft AudioStix

I've seen other references to "summing" products, but can't decide if they're necessary for line-level use.

plus, does anyone know of more products like these? the whirwind is like $50!

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-DZ-SC2V-U3...IN%3DB00DWDYK94

Reply #37
For my portable speaker needs I went with a Logitech UE Boom Bluetooth speaker.  It's small, portable, battery powered, and if you buy two of them you can pair them up and get stereo sound.

http://www.amazon.com/UE-BOOM-Wireless-Blu...r/dp/B00CM0XHNS

The UE Boom also has the added bonus of having a built in noise cancelling mic, so you can use them as a speakerphone.  $184@ on Amazon.  I bought a refurb for $125.

They also make a UE Megaboom now:

http://www.amazon.com/UE-MEGABOOM-Wireless...6/dp/B00TXBOWVA

I know wired speakers are going to sound better than bluetooth wireless, but you can't beat these for portability and ease of use.  I'm seriously considering getting a second one, so I can get stereo sound.

Reply #38
@ sparcy - You don't really need a summing mixer in hardware. I use one because I had it already, to feed interval music into a mixer.

I don't have an iPod but you can obtain mono out of an iPhone as follows; Settings>General>Accessibility>Mono Audio. Most audio apps will have a mono option somewhere. Having the summing mixer in hardware is just a convienience because it means anyone can connect their phone, tablet or portable without having to change their settings.  Or worse, remember to change then back.

Re: What's the least bad portable speaker you've come across?

Reply #39
Are there any sites which do no-nonsense reviews of portable Bluetooth speakers? I can't decide between the Soundlink Mini II and the KEF Muo...

Reply #40
I'm not sure how helpful it is to you, but you can find here a tool to compare binaural recordings of plenty of portable speakers. Make sure to use headphones.

You can also find reviews of these speakers on Oluv's website.

Reply #41
I like my TDK A33 for what it is.  Sounded the best out of many options I tried for the size/price/style.

Reply #42
Lots of audioph*s rave about Riva Audio bluetooth speakers.  One hears about people being "blown away," by them, and stuff like that, which you may very well not consider "no-nonsense" reviewing. I take it to mean that they might be worth listening to. Or that I am still suffering from  audiophilia hysteria, which is highly contagious.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain