Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are USB isolators all the same? (Read 3550 times) previous topic - next topic

Are USB isolators all the same?

Whenever I'm charging my laptop, I get a really bad buzzing sound through my Dragonfly v1.2 DAC. Unplugging it eliminates the noise. I'm temporarily using my UR44 audio interface since it has much less noise (still a little), but its audio output isn't as clear as the Dragonfly's in general; I think the Dragonfly is a higher quality DAC.

So I'm looking for a USB isolator to kill the ground loop (I think that's what it's called). It seems I can spend anywhere from $20 to $50 dollars, but is there a difference? I'm tempted to get this because the company is reputable, but I think it's probably marked up quite a bit because people will pay anything for "jitter reduction". There are cheap options on eBay but they're all no-name Chinese and Taiwanese distributors, and I need to know if USB isolation is quality dependent before getting something so questionable.

Re: Are USB isolators all the same?

Reply #1
If you have a ground loop you need to fix that, not the USB. I'll leave the details to people who know what they are talking about. Or Google, maybe, would be better than any attempt I can make.

The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #2
What are you plugging into?

Reply #3
No, they are not all the same, and your USB-powered DAC may not even work with an isolator...

Also, the JitterBug seems expensive and it is not clear what it is doing.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #4
Are some DACs more prone to this than others? Just asking...I have no idea.
AVI ADM 9RS | HD 650 | HD 598 | Asus Essence One Muses Edition DAC & HA | Garage1217.com Project Ember HA | Asus STX DAC & HA | Fiio E12 | iDevices

To get added to my Whatsapp Audiophilia group, PM me!

Reply #5
No, they are not all the same, and your USB-powered DAC may not even work with an isolator...

Also, the JitterBug seems expensive and it is not clear what it is doing.
Indeed; if it separates the power supply (which may carry the noise) from the digital signal, then your USB-powered Dragonfly may end up not receiving any volts to run the circuitry, depending on how the isolator's designed. Audioquest themselves call the Jitterbug a filter, rather than an isolator. It might filter the noise in your particular setup, or it might not, so check their returns policy in case it doesn't solve your problem.

If your computer has an optical output, that may be the way to go. Nice'n'quiet.

Reply #6
Indeed; if it separates the power supply (which may carry the noise) from the digital signal, then your USB-powered Dragonfly may end up not receiving any volts

No, that is not how a true isolator works. If this would be the case simply cut the power wires instead of buying a box :)
http://intona.eu/en/answer/1233

As other already stated, better try to solve the ground loop before buying a box.

Isolators supporting USB high speed are a bit rare
Expect to pay 200,- or more
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Isolator.htm
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #7
Indeed; if it separates the power supply (which may carry the noise) from the digital signal, then your USB-powered Dragonfly may end up not receiving any volts

No, that is not how a true isolator works. If this would be the case simply cut the power wires instead of buying a box :)
http://intona.eu/en/answer/1233

As other already stated, better try to solve the ground loop before buying a box.

Isolators supporting USB high speed are a bit rare
Expect to pay 200,- or more
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Isolator.htm

Um, an Olimex USB-ISO can be had for less than $40.  Sadly, it will only work with UAC1 devices up to 24/96kHz DAC's, but I believe that's also true of most of the devices on that page.

Reply #8
If you have a ground loop you need to fix that, not the USB. I'll leave the details to people who know what they are talking about. Or Google, maybe, would be better than any attempt I can make.

That is a lot easier said than done.

Reply #9
I would not assume there is a ground loop without knowing what the OP is doing.  All hes said is that he hears noise (on what, headphones?  stereo?  something else?). 

There is no point in suggesting solutions before he describes the problem.