Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need advice on headphones (Read 4409 times) previous topic - next topic

Need advice on headphones

Hello I need an advice for new headphones. Mainly I'm gaming and talking with friends via teamspeak. I don't need a headset I have Samson Meteor Mic. My max budget is 150£ without delivery. Thanks in advance.

Reply #3
Also heard thst M50X is terrible value and bad for gaming. Is that true? Bear on mind that I don't have an option to listen to headphones before the purchase... So I've also got some suggestions like these:

AKG K612 Pro
DT990 Pro
HD 558
HD 598
AD900X
Custom One Pro
DT770 Pro

I'm sooooo lost.

Reply #4
I have a set of DT880s that I have been extremely satisfied with. I liked them much better than the 770s and 990s, so don't assume the higher model number is automatically the best choice.

But they are quite bright in their sound. The bass isn't lacking at all, it's all there, just without the bottom-end boost that a lot of headphones have.

If you want something quite a bit cheaper but still very good, have a look at the DT-235 or DT-231 (consumer and pro version of the same identical headphone). They're a bit more 'fun' with a bit of bass boost. the DT-235s only cost $25 on Amazon right now and they'll stand up to hard use really well.

I've had my DT-231s for over a decade (possibly 15 years), and they've held up really well, only the earpads had to be changed a couple of years ago, and the elastic in the headband is a little looser now. Apart from that, they're like new.

$25 is an absolute bargain for headphones this good: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-235-...k/dp/B00198BY48

Reply #5
I have a set of DT880s that I have been extremely satisfied with. I liked them much better than the 770s and 990s, so don't assume the higher model number is automatically the best choice.

But they are quite bright in their sound. The bass isn't lacking at all, it's all there, just without the bottom-end boost that a lot of headphones have.

If you want something quite a bit cheaper but still very good, have a look at the DT-235 or DT-231 (consumer and pro version of the same identical headphone). They're a bit more 'fun' with a bit of bass boost. the DT-235s only cost $25 on Amazon right now and they'll stand up to hard use really well.

I've had my DT-231s for over a decade (possibly 15 years), and they've held up really well, only the earpads had to be changed a couple of years ago, and the elastic in the headband is a little looser now. Apart from that, they're like new.

$25 is an absolute bargain for headphones this good: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-235-...k/dp/B00198BY48

DT 880's are well over my budget. I kind of like the discount on HD598 in amazon it's only 129£...

Reply #6
DT 880's are well over my budget. I kind of like the discount on HD598 in amazon it's only 129£...

I have HD-600 (similar to HD598) which are great, but I find open headphones not ideal for gaming due to the lack of isolation. A mic on your desk will pick up sound leaking from the headphones. Also, at a LAN, other people will be blasted with sound from your headphones.
If your use case is mostly "alone in a room with the door closed, and no microphone on", open headphones are fine.

Reply #7

I have HD-600 (similar to HD598) which are great, but I find open headphones not ideal for gaming due to the lack of isolation. A mic on your desk will pick up sound leaking from the headphones. Also, at a LAN, other people will be blasted with sound from your headphones.
If your use case is mostly "alone in a room with the door closed, and no microphone on", open headphones are fine.

Well I'm not really going to a LAN events. I'll buy an arm and pop filter in the future so it's not really an issue for. I'm really interested in Sennheiser HD598 cause of that juicy juicy discount that goes on in the amazon right now...

Reply #8
Also heard thst M50X is terrible value and bad for gaming.

Why? Just because someone said so, or are there some actual reasons?

About the only problem I had with my M50X is that the clamping force was way too strong, but I solved that by stretching them. Other than that, the sound is good and I couldn't detect anything that would make them unfit for gaming. According to my brother, gaming in them feels like "you're inside the game". Of course, if you don't like their sound signature, they will suck. But since you don't have the opportunity to listen to them before buying, no matter which headphone someone suggests you, there will be a risk of you not liking them.

Re: Need advice on headphones

Reply #9
Based on recommendations here and elsewhere, I bought a pair of ATH-M50x to try out.  To me they sound pretty well balanced - not an excess of lows, and "polite" highs.  Mids seemed to provide a believable rendering of vocals and instruments on the known recordings I tried.  In other words, nothing to complain about if you like non-exaggerated reproduction.  Graphs suggested that these have more extended lows than the MDR-V6 (which I also have), but I can't really say that they sound "bassier"; it may just be down to measurement techniques.  They don't sound as "forward" or bright as the MDR-V6, which may be a good thing if you find the Sonys too aggressive (some do).  I liked how they sounded with my preferred recordings.

The only negative thing I've found so far is that the earpads don't "breathe" very much and I started to perspire after a bit - something I don't notice with the Sony's pads.  Amazon sells a certified refurbished ATH-M50x (from A-T) for about $50 less than the new ones, and they seem to be like-new, in genuine A-T packaging with all original accessories.  That puts them in the low US$100 range, which seems fair to me.

I'll have to listen to them for a while, but so far I've been impressed.

Reply #10
HD600 are quite different than HD598 in the build. Also very different price. I have had a HD650 that recently broke after 10 years (https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111069.msg914892.html).
Last week I got a pair of HD598. To me (and my girlfriend) the way they are build compared to the HD650 (and HD600 that I think have identical dimensions in every part) might be uncomfortable to many. Since the HD650 have a ripid headband they come down from the head very straight; the two ear pieces are parallel. The HD598 on the other hand come down at an inwards angle since the headband is more like a spring. To me that means they press on your neck under your ears. I don't like that very much but it doesn't bother me terribly. My girlfriend on the other hand could not stand using them for this reason.

Reply #11
I wouldn't recommend the Senn598 for gaming.  The lows are a bit lacking, so you won't get as much out of explosion effects in game.
You can't go wrong with the ATH-M50/X, but they sound so lifeless and boring to me that I wouldn't recommend them unless they dropped under $120.  At exactly $100, you should check out the NVX XPT100 (uses same drivers as Brainwavz HM5 but with flexible headband and extra angled pads).