Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Proper way to perform a null test (Read 17436 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Proper way to perform a null test

Reply #25
Adobe was *giving away* Audition awhile back on its site...don't know if that's still true.
As a point of order, IIRC Adobe was shutting down an authentication server so was offering "use forever" codes and app downloads for "pre-existing and legitimate" users of Audition (and Photoshop CS2), make of that what you will...

Reply #26
So Audition 1.5 clips a sample early when going negative. No big deal.
20*log10(32767/32768) = -0.000265 dB

Just out of curiosity, could you create a float file, set one sample to -0.5, one to +0.5, then convert to 16 bit without dither? What are resulting values?
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #27
When file bit-depth is 16-bit or above, Audition 1.5 always normalize the sample value to 16-bit (with decimal value when higher than 16-bit) in the waveform statistics report.

Audition can only generate waveform using dB up to 1 decimal point, so I generated the float file with Audacity

[edit]Just remembered that I can right-click a single sample and enter a float value, it showed exactly +/- 16384 in floating point mode. After converted to 16-bit it remains +/-16384 as well.

I have some Audition 1.5 null test step-by-step videos in this thread, it was a 24-bit test but the method works in 16-bit as well.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,110708.msg913134.html#msg913134