Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC & LAME: 64-bit or 32-bit? (Read 3363 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC & LAME: 64-bit or 32-bit?

My (multi-part) question could have probably been cross-posted in several different places, but I thought I'd start here...

Background: I am running Windows 7 Pro (64-bit).  As far as I know, EAC and FLAC Frontend are 32-bit programs, and they are both distributed with the 32-bit version of FLAC.

1) Are EAC and FLAC Frontend compatible with the 64-bit version of FLAC?

2) Is EAC compatible with the 64-bit version of LAME?

3) Regardless of how they're invoked (EAC, FLAC Frontend, command line, etc.), are there functional differences between the 32- and 64-bit versions of FLAC and LAME (i.e., better performance, ability to operate on larger files, etc.) that should dictate when I use one or the other (32-bit vs. 64-bit, not FLAC vs. LAME)?

Thanks!

Re: FLAC & LAME: 64-bit or 32-bit?

Reply #1
If you use the EXE (command line) encoder, it doesn't matter what the calling program is since the encoder runs in a separate process.

Usually 64 bit will be a little bit faster, at least on x86 systems, although not always.