Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Comparing multiple audio files (ABCX test)? (Read 1426 times) previous topic - next topic

Comparing multiple audio files (ABCX test)?

I've recently gotten into ripping vinyl. I'm now in a situation where I would be interested in comparing more than 2 audio files at once. This is not an ABX test in the traditional sense, as it is often so easy to spot differences that doing an ABX is not actually needed to know which file is which. Sometimes I have:

- Digital file /CD rip
- Vinyl rip done by some else
- My own vinyl rip

Still, I would like to be able to switch between all 3 files like I can do with an ABX test, as the song is playing. Is there any software that allows me to do that?
Blubb

Re: Comparing multiple audio files (ABCX test)?

Reply #1
There are probably several ways to do this. One is lacinato ABX.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #2
If you want to choose the "best" one or find the one you prefer, I'd suggest comparing two at a time "tournament style" until there are two left and you can choose the best of those two.

With vinyl it may not make sense to switch back-and-forth during playback, because you could miss a click, pop, or other defect.

Reply #3
Probably that "Lacinato ABX" suggestion is good enough. Other tools, like the one that is used here for the listening tests could do it: ABC/HR. This one might be more complicate to configure.

Reply #4
foobar2000 ABX Comparator component can do what you want.

Reply #5
Lacinato is excellent.

foobar2000 ABX Comparator component can do what you want.
This blew me away. I use the fb2k ABX usually, but it never occured to me to select more than 2 files from the playlist. Oh well :D.

Thank you all.
Blubb