Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help! My Flac Collection Is Messed Up (Read 3944 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! My Flac Collection Is Messed Up

I have a bad problem. All my FLAC files have popping noises in them. Really bad popping noises. They weren't like before. I just reformated my main hard drive  and re-installed windows and winamp w/ the FLAC plugin(but my FLAC files are on a seperate HD). I also have been using an Anti-Virus program to scan all my files. What could be making my FLAC files have popping noises? I uncompressed a few of them and burned them to cd and when I play them on my cd player they are gone. When I re-installed my FLAC plugin I had to redo the TITLE format in configuration and at first I did it wrong so I got errors on all the title names in the playlist. That wouldn't corrupt my FLAC files, would it? Any suggestions of what could be causeing this?

Thank you,

-Darin
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Reply #1
If you decompressed them and played uncompressed wav files and everything is ok, then your files are ok and the problem is with your hardware or software. Check configuration of your player, maybe bigger buffer or higher priority may help. Or maybe it can be a problem with  sound card drivers. Check if this problem occur with other music files...

Reply #2
Sounds more like harddrive and/or cd drive running in PIO mode (standard issue with new winxp setup). Device manager / IDE controllers / set both primary & secondary IDE channels to use UDMA if available.
Do you get pops with other formats (eg. lossy formats with lower bitrate) too ?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
I checked the settings and they are checked out ok(IDE, ect.). I think I might of fixed the problem...I'm late for work so I am in a rush and can't exactly tell for sure. I previousley put the Priority level on Real Time in Winamp and now I changed it back to Normal. Does that sound like it could of caused the problem?

Thanks,
-Darin

Reply #4
You mean process priority class ? Changing that is generally a bad idea, except for some rare cases; normal settings are most safe. If you use Winamp, you could try reinstalling it and using default settings.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
Yeah, it was defintlt the priority class. I put it back to normal and everything sounds fine. Thanks for helping! Whew

-Darin

Reply #6
It's the greed for sound accuracy that caused the trouble and so did your wanton use of nice hard disk space when the rest of the world is begging for it. Murphy's laws took control. Your greed for accuracy and lossless reproduction resulted in the most amount of loss. Thou shall not covet your neighbor's archive.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #7
zZ... > Sounds more like harddrive and/or cd drive running in PIO mode (standard issue with new winxp setup)...

That has my gears turning. On (2) brand new Dells (2.56 GHz P4's) w/ W2k, and playing an audio CD thru Foobar or WMP, playback would pop every time the RW drive was accessed. Regardless of which playback mode was used, I couldn't get rid of it. Now I have something to check...cool!

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus