Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bass Traps and Other Treatments: Why so frequently assumed necessary? (Read 91010 times) previous topic - next topic

Bass Traps and Other Treatments: Why so frequently assumed necessary?

Reply #50
I said I was out of this discussion, but I think it has become abundantly clear that we're arguing about personal preference here.

Yes, sighted vs blind, Studiophile believer vs informed rational. Believers prefer sighted, uncontrolled "listening" and those trump ears only testing, which are to be dismissed/ignored when they conflict with beliefs. Just like their "audiophile" cousins.

No.

We can all agree that bass traps do something that changes the overall sound in a listening room, right? And we can also agree that it comes down to preference whether you like a 'live' room or a 'dead' room, as evidenced the 1/3rd to 2/3rds split in the AES paper you linked?

It's hard to define which is "better" when talking about personal preference. I prefer a slightly more 'dead' room, which you obviously do not. Toole shows in his paper that neither is a detriment to producing good results, as long as one is accustomed to the room+speakers.

So why are we arguing about personal preference here? Bass traps work, they change the sound. You don't like the result of what they do, but that doesn't make it objectively wrong to use them, no matter how one gauges their performance.

Reply #51
The issue at hand is whether expressed preferences that are not backed by objective test results deserve the same credibility as those that are.  That you can actually hear a difference is irrelevant.

I'll be happy to change the topic title if it will keep the discussion from regressing to "these amps go to eleven."

Reply #52
It's kinda hard to put a credibility value on personal preference, though. When the much-linked Floyd E. Toole paper shows that either preference is valid, based on personal preference, it's kinda silly to argue that one of them is objectively wrong.

Reply #53

Yes, sighted vs blind, Studiophile believer vs informed rational. Believers prefer sighted, uncontrolled "listening" and those trump ears only testing, which are to be dismissed/ignored when they conflict with beliefs. Just like their "audiophile" cousins.

No.

Ok, let's hear the specifics of your controlled blind tests where you determined your preference for "treatments" vs ?

We can all agree that bass traps do something that changes the overall sound in a listening room, right?

...which you obviously do not.

...You don't like the result of what they do

We can agree you'll never comprehend what a red herring is.

I prefer a slightly more 'dead' room

Yes, you believe treatments are "better" and then prefer rooms after you treat them and listen sighted.
No one cares what you prefer. You aren't the issue. The efficacy of so called "treatments" is and so far, the reality ears only tests are not looking good for your beliefs.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #54
It's kinda hard to put a credibility value on personal preference

There is no credibility when the efficacy of products is based purely on sighted, biased believer preference
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #55
You're chasing your own tail, AJ. You're arguing in circles.

What exactly are you asking about? Do acoustic treatment products (audiophile woo-woo tiny cubes glued to the walls excluded) make an audible difference? I'm pretty sure the Floyd E. Toole paper you keep linking says that they do, and that people could tell the difference in a double blind test.

Is the end result better or worse? That's up to personal taste, but they do make a difference to the sound, and thus by definition they cannot be 'snake oil'. And purely subjectively, I prefer a populated room to a bare one (and a full concert hall to an empty one, for that matter). The difference is measurable, and has been measured many times, that's how you design a good concert venue.

Double blind tests are fine for a lot of things, but they are not the end-all, be-all answer when considering subjective preferences.

Reply #56
They are important when there is a reason to call common belief into question. The linked article provides reason.

...and as such these posts continuing to champion sighted preference ring hollow.

Reply #57
...and as such these posts continuing to champion sighted preference ring hollow.

Can I interest you in some fine room treatment products to reduce that hollow ringing?

The linked article shows that there is an audible difference, and that in a blind test, some people prefer untreated rooms, while others prefer treated rooms.

I think maybe it would be a good idea to have a concise, neutrally worded summation of what the actual question stated in this thread is, because it has obviously been lost in the name-calling.

Is the common belief that treated rooms sound 'better'? The paper says that about 1/3rd of the people in the test expressed a preference for a treated room. So in that sense, technically the untreated (or less treated) room is 'better' because more people preferred it. But it doesn't actually disprove the efficacy of room treatments, just that more people preferred the 'untreated' sound.

How would one go about properly proving a preference for a treated room versus a bare or untreated room? Probably no one except mr. Floyd has access to a fancy moving DBT rig like his, so what would the test parameters be?

Reply #58
The paper says that about 1/3rd of the people in the test expressed a preference for a treated room.

Blind.
Not "people". Studio pros. To quote the "authority" you linked, unsolicited:
MUSICAL TASTE AND SOPHISTICATION

This next part might seem offensive and condescending, but I assure you that's not my intent! I'm convinced that most professional recording and mixing engineers have better "learned hearing acuity" than the general population, and many probably have more refined musical taste as well. I mention "professional" listeners because I believe they have a better grasp on quality and clarity, and can more readily identify when something sounds "better" versus merely different. Many audiophiles also have very good auditory taste. Of course, taste is subjective so this is just my opinion.

When mixing music you need to hear everything as clearly as possible. If music or dialog is obscured by reflections and other room anomalies, mixes you think sound good may not sound so good later, or in your car, or on other systems. When reflections are allowed, moving your head even an inch or two changes the tonality as shown in THIS article. When listening without early reflections, imaging and frequency response are more stable versus position, making it easier to nail down a pleasing mix.

Over time mix engineers learn to appreciate things that affect clarity, and avoiding early reflections is one of these things. Mixing in a reflection-free environment also lets you hear much smaller changes in applied reverb and EQ. Even at my age (67 in 2015) I can easily hear EQ changes of half a dB at midrange frequencies through my two music systems.

Ooops.

How would one go about properly proving a preference for a treated room versus a bare or untreated room? Probably no one except mr. Floyd has access to a fancy moving DBT rig like his, so what would the test parameters be?

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16640
The one you just referenced. 
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #59
So in that sense, technically the untreated (or less treated) room is 'better' because more people preferred it. But it doesn't actually disprove the efficacy of room treatments, just that more people preferred the 'untreated' sound.

..and you've determined which 1/3 you're in how???

Oh yes, by believing, implementing and staring.
Insult calling you audiophile? Please....
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #60
I'm always fine with neutal wording, especially when dealing with assumed "facts" which are not born from empirical evidence. Hopefully people will consider doing so next time they make recommendations about how someone should spend his money.

As for my use of loaded language, it was completely intentional (as well as effective; moreso if Ethan joins in to say something over than I disagree with the results of that study so the study must be wrong).

Since I'm replying via smartphone edits/additions will more than likely be forthcoming (per usual).

Reply #61
..and you've determined which 1/3 you're in how???

Oh yes, by believing, implementing and staring.
Insult calling you audiophile? Please....

I haven't placed myself into any one particular group because unlike others, I am not quick to jump the gun and pass "final" judgement. However, I did express a subjective preference for listening rooms with some amount of soft surfaces (carpets, furniture etc.) over a relatively bare room with many hard surfaces.

I'm not sure why you keep wanting to 'disprove' me, I have only expressed my own preferences and referred to the person who IMO has had the most pleasant discourse combined with apparently quite deep knowledge of the subjects he covers. I'm sorry if that offended you, I just wish this could be discussed in a polite manner, instead of having to resort to name-calling and "BZZT WRONG!" type replies, which do not further the discussion in any constructive fashion at all.

If that's how this "discussion" is going to continue, I have no interest in participating.

Reply #62
I'm simply looking for acknowledgement that expressed preferences could be influenced by things other than actual quality of sound.

So, yeah, if people can't manage to do this I would prefer they not participate (or make recommendations on the subject, for that matter).

For giggles, let's see who is using the word "wrong" in the discussion...
https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...ghlite=%2Bwrong

Reply #63
I'm simply looking for acknowledgement that expressed preferences could be influenced by things other than actual quality of sound.

So, yeah, if people can't manage to do this I would prefer they not participate (or make recommendations on the subject, for that matter).

Fully acknowledged, both explicitly and implicitly. It has never been my intention to deceive anyone into thinking otherwise.

It's not like I look at a couch and think "mmm, that would be great for the sound in my living room", if that's what anyone was thinking.

For giggles, let's see who is using the word "wrong" in the discussion...
https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...ghlite=%2Bwrong

Context matters.

Reply #64
I did not say or even imply anyone was wrong; full of shit, perhaps (and not so much you), but not wrong.

Reply #65
I haven't placed myself into any one particular group

You have repeatedly placed yourself in the "prefer treatment" group, despite never participating in a blind test.

I have only expressed my own preferences

Sighted yes. You have no clue which group you would have been in the McGill test.
But perhaps this all all beyond your ability understand. A "studiophile". 
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #66
I call the whole notion of room "treatments" being constantly parroted as a panacea, BS.
It is almost automatic on every audio (Home and Studio) forum now, for someone, often unsolicited, to tell others that room "treatment" products are mandatory for "better" sound.
I find the evidence for the "better" sound to be lacking in vigor...and far more a sighted, expected, personal preference being expressed, despite whatever Toole, McGill et al have found. Bass "traps" being one form of "treatment", specific for LF of course.

You are very inexperienced

Reply #67
If you can afford it and have the space treating your room is the best thing other than getting a 40X40X40 space and not worrying about it

Reply #69
If you can afford it and have the space treating your room is the best thing other than getting a 40X40X40 space and not worrying about it

https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...st&p=910873

Reply #71
My room and speakers are totally irrelevant.

Please tell me how you arrived at your conclusion:

Make sure it complies with our Terms of Service, which you agreed to follow upon registering.

Reply #72
There has been some potential for more than one topic to go sideways as of late.

Let's do it here instead, OK?

Remember this is HA.  It should be expected that all replies be subject to our TOS.

Room acoustics vary all over the place and can strongly affect sound quality. They can also be very difficult to quantify and idealize.

Any concept or parameter can be overemphasized.

Amen

Reply #73
You're chasing your own tail, AJ. You're arguing in circles.

What exactly are you asking about? Do acoustic treatment products (audiophile woo-woo tiny cubes glued to the walls excluded) make an audible difference? I'm pretty sure the Floyd E. Toole paper you keep linking says that they do, and that people could tell the difference in a double blind test.

The article I see AJ linking to frequently on this thread isn't by Floyd Toole.

It's:
The Practical Effects of Lateral Energy in Critical Listening Environments
Authors: King, Richard; Leonard, Brett; Sikora, Grzegorz

Reply #74
I haven't placed myself into any one particular group

You have repeatedly placed yourself in the "prefer treatment" group, despite never participating in a blind test.

If that's how you look at it, then I have also placed myself in the "prefers Indian food to Chinese food" group, without ever doing a blind test.

I have only expressed my own preferences

Sighted yes. You have no clue which group you would have been in the McGill test.
But perhaps this all all beyond your ability understand. A "studiophile".

I have a reasonable assumption on which group I would place in, based on previous experience, but I cannot be 100% sure.

And again with the completely pointless insults. That is not how you win people to your side of an argument.

The article I see AJ linking to frequently on this thread isn't by Floyd Toole.

It's:
The Practical Effects of Lateral Energy in Critical Listening Environments
Authors: King, Richard; Leonard, Brett; Sikora, Grzegorz

Yes, I was getting mixed up. Both papers are relevant to the discussion.