Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Play / Enqueue in 1.3.8 Play / Open / Enqueue in 1.3.9 (Read 3546 times) previous topic - next topic

Play / Enqueue in 1.3.8 Play / Open / Enqueue in 1.3.9

Hi all,

First of all, Foobar is great, i've been using it for years now and i'm very happy with it. But now i've encountered a small (quite insignificant) issue and i've been unable to find a solution, so i was hoping you good people here could help me. I didn't see this thing mentioned elsewhere, so i thought it was save to open a new topic about it.

I like the 'Play in Foobar' and 'Enqueue in Foobar' options in the context menu when selecting an audio file. But since i've updated from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9 i now have an extra 'Open in Foobar', for which i have no need. I use Windows 8.1 and haven't changed any settings:

Program access: use current media player + disable access Windows Media Player
Shell integration in Foobar Preferences: Folder context menus is disabled (wasn't needed) and enabling it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any help in removing it ( preferably without editing the registry) would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers

Reply #1
Removing an entry would require editing registry and foobar2000 would revert the edit on start.

Reply #2
Removing an entry would require editing registry and foobar2000 would revert the edit on start.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, that's why i didn't consider it. If i install 1.3.8 again there is just the 'play' and 'enqueue' buttons again. So it has *something* to do with the new version, but to me nothing in the changelog looks like something that could cause that.

Reply #3
There was a change in 1.3.9 regarding shell extension. Registry used to have LegacyDisable keys forcing these old shell commands to be invisible and only Shell Extension's commands were shown. This was removed as it caused issues in Windows 10 and earlier.
Perhaps things should be changed a bit and re-add the LegacyDisable string for the Open command.

Reply #4
There was a change in 1.3.9 regarding shell extension. Registry used to have LegacyDisable keys forcing these old shell commands to be invisible and only Shell Extension's commands were shown. This was removed as it caused issues in Windows 10 and earlier.
Perhaps things should be changed a bit and re-add the LegacyDisable string for the Open command.

That's probably it then! Thanks for the info.

Reply #5
I made an account specifically to point out this issue, which seems to have stemmed from incompatibility with Windows 10. I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

The "Play" and "Open" commands are completely redundant and having both only adds clutter to the context menu. Editing the registry entries (deleting [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.AUDIOFORMATS\shell\open] for all formats) does remove the "Open with foobar" from the context menu but causes third party applications, like Everything and Launchy, to not be able to launch Foobar by clicking on audio files (Unknown application). The fix to this is to let Foobar register formats on startup which creates the Open context entry again.

Another problem is setting enqueue as default action. Setting this in 1.3.9 creates a duplicate entry for the Enqueue in Foobar command, rather than just putting it in bold like in 1.3.8. This creates 4 menu entries which is, in my opinion, unnecessary clutter.

It would be nice if there was a solution, but personally I will be using 1.3.8 until this is changed.

Thank you for your attention.

Reply #6
The useless open entry and the duplication of entries will be gone in the next release. Unfortunately now that shell extension isn't entirely in charge of showing the menu entries enqueue doesn't get bold when it's the default action.
I hope that isn't reason enough to stick with the old player version.

Reply #7
I made an account specifically to point out this issue

As did I haha ^^

The useless open entry and the duplication of entries will be gone in the next release. Unfortunately now that shell extension isn't entirely in charge of showing the menu entries enqueue doesn't get bold when it's the default action.
I hope that isn't reason enough to stick with the old player version.

For me, it isn't  Thanks for clearing that up, and i look forward to the next version!

Re: Play / Enqueue in 1.3.8 Play / Open / Enqueue in 1.3.9

Reply #9
I'm reverting relevant changes to the pre-1.3.9 state.

More details:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=110370.msg918636#info_918636

For playing videos I use MPC-BE or MPC-HC, can't really decide ;)
They have a context menu which looks fine to me, that kind would look good on foobar2000, just like the nice icons in the entries. I added pics where you can see the context menu.
Keep in mind when installing MPC-BE don't install the context menu during installation, it is another thing! The better one is already in the program itself as you can see in the pics how to activate the feature.
What do you think?

Re: Play / Enqueue in 1.3.8 Play / Open / Enqueue in 1.3.9

Reply #11
This is an issue that all of us should be reporting to Microsoft via the Feedback app in Windows 10. They do listen, but prioritize based on numbers.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.