Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why ampliflier has 4 ohm 8 ohm 12 ohm rating instead of only 4 ohm 4 o (Read 2419 times) previous topic - next topic

Why ampliflier has 4 ohm 8 ohm 12 ohm rating instead of only 4 ohm 4 o

I have a speaker with 6 ohm rating. now I have read that it is safe t0 match a 6 ohm speaker with 4 ohm ampliflier or 8 ohm ampliflier but it s not good to match with a 12 or 16 ohm ampliflier. So basically I want to match 6 ohm speaker with 4 ohm ampliflier. But i am not able to do this as all the ampliflier in the market have different rating in different channel for eg a two channel ampliflier will have 4 ohm 8 ohm 12 ohm and 16 ohm my question is that why they don t have 4 ohm rating in all the Chanel I.e. 4 ohm 4 ohm 4 ohm and 4 ohm. Why there is no uniformity in the channels I could not find a single amp with uniform rating in every channel here In india

Reply #1
Don't take those specifications too seriously. They may not even be truthful. There are speakers that have minimum impedances way below their specification, for example.

In general, do not connect a speaker to an amplifier when the speaker has a lower impedance than the amp is specified for, since that may cause excessive heat dissipation in the amplifier. The opposite, however, is ok. Connecting an 8 Ohm speaker to an amplifier rated for 6 Ohm, for example, should be fine. The specification of the amp should be interpreted not as the impedance of the amp, but as the minimum impedance of the connected loudspeaker.

Reply #2
But i am not able to do this as all the ampliflier in the market have different rating in different channel for eg a two channel ampliflier will have 4 ohm 8 ohm 12 ohm and 16 ohm my question is that why they don t have 4 ohm rating in all the Chanel I.e. 4 ohm 4 ohm 4 ohm and 4 ohm. Why there is no uniformity in the channels I could not find a single amp with uniform rating in every channel here In india

What you are describing sounds like a misunderstanding.  Some amplifiers -- particularly tube amps -- in order to best accommodate a wide range of speakers will have 4/8/16 ohm connections but will have this set of four terminals for each channel.  You would connect your speakers to the ground and the 4-ohm tap on the left and right channels.

If this is unclear, what model of amplifier are you considering?  Can you link a picture of the speaker terminals?  Maybe you are looking at a mono amp and thinking the four terminals are for connecting two speakers; they are not.