Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No longer able to rip CDs with EAC (Read 4989 times) previous topic - next topic

No longer able to rip CDs with EAC

Hi Folks;

I have been fighting this issue for about 6 weeks.
I bought a couple of music CDs that I wanted to rip with Exact Audio Copy.

EAC sees the drive, sees the CD, and lists the songs, as in the past.
When I start the rip, by pressing the CMP button, it goes to "Not Responding".
I'm unable to shutdown EAC and unable to get the ROM drive to stop flashing as if it is reading the disc.

About two years ago, something similar happened and I thought it was a failed TSTO drive, which I replaced with the LG drive.
Current drive is an LG WH16NS40

I updated EAC to the current version.
I have checked the drive firmware.
I have updated the ROM drive driver, I have deleted and re-added the drive.
I have updated the Marvell SATA and MSU drivers.
I have updated the Intel motherboard drivers.
I have updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (same same).
I have removed and reinstalled Nero.
I have downloaded and installed the ASPI .dll in various locations using various versions.
I have made a number of edits to the registry, and when they really screwed things up, reverted the changes.
I have discovered that Nero can rip the CD.
I have discovered that I can not use the other ROM drives to rip a CD with EAC either (I also have a slim HD DVD Toshiba drive and a slim Lite-On DS8A2S drive in the computer).
I have discovered that I can not play a Bluray with the LG using TotalMedia Theatre 6, CyberLink PowerDVD 8, nor iSuckManyDicks Blur-ray player -without or with AnyDVD.
I can import a DigitalCopy movie from a DVD into iTunes.

I'm in the midst of getting a Windows7 install running on a separate boot drive on this computer.  I'm pretty sure stuff is going to work on that install, but I'm really at a loss for finding the cause of my issue.

Have you seen this?

Thanks,
Mark

Reply #1
Just an idea: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929461
Even if it is for Vista these filter drives cause trouble sometimes so you may check.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
Hi Guys;

I tried this out, however the only effect I found was that iTunes complained.
EAC didn't work, still just locking up the ROM drive.

I tried restoring the registry, but iTunes still complains.
I'll probably need to reinstall it.

(it says:
The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing.
This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software.
Please reinstall iTunes.)

Other ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Just an idea: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929461
Even if it is for Vista these filter drives cause trouble sometimes so you may check.

Reply #3
A System Restore is rarely possible after 6 weeks and it may not go well by making other things break, or not work at all.

Cut the time lost and grab the Windows installation disc and be mindful of how you install drivers in the future.  Because some programs really do mess things up.  EAC doesn't do that crap but other programs you're using might.  This might be a little tedious and take a while, so patience is required.

A bug worth noting I found: EAC will crash on me if a disc has CD TEXT and there is a connection to the internet when I hit any button (IMAGE, WAV, CMP).  I've found disconnecting from any network helps prevent crashes.

If you have Zone Alarm, use STOP ALL INTERNET ACTIVITY before starting a rip that has CD Text and RESUME ALL INTERNET ACTIVITY afterwards.  (Windows 7 would ran like complete crap during this time)
Disable the Wi-Fi before ripping.  Turn it back on when done.  (I never used any computer that has Wi-Fi on it when using EAC...  So I'm not sure if that works)
Remove the ethernet cord from the back of the computer before ripping.  Plug it back in when done.  (What I had to do when I upgraded to Windows 10 for the first month)

This part of the post is lightened up to avoid confusion.

Reply #4
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think the ASPI.dll you installed could be part of the problem.  I think that's something that is only needed on very very old operating systems (like Windows 98SE).  But I'm not 100% sure of this.  Please check it out.
Be a false negative of yourself!