Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for front ported studio monitors in the 5-800 dollar range (Read 7558 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for front ported studio monitors in the 5-800 dollar range

I already know of the Focal Alpha 50s and the KRK VXT 6's, are there any others you would recommend. They need to be front ported since I'm going to place them near a wall.

Reply #1
I also already know of the Adam line, like the Adam F5, but here it's dark and muddy. Are there any other good monitors between 5-800$ besides the VXTs the Focal Alphas and the Adam?

Reply #2
I have been using a set of Adam A5Xs for about a year now, and I don't think they're anywhere even close to dark and/or muddy. I find the midrange and the treble in particular to be extremely clear and detailed, without being harsh at all. The bass is very solid and extends much deeper than you'd expect from speakers that small. They do exhibit port noise, but I've only ever noticed any noise when feeding them pure sine waves around 60-80 Hz, which isn't exactly what I'd call "music".

I don't have any personal experience with the F line of speakers, but I highly recommende the AX line. Just avoid the A3X, it's too small for its own good.

Reply #3
They need to be front ported since I'm going to place them near a wall.

And why can't you place rear ported speakers near a wall? It's an urban myth that this is a problem, as long as you don't place them so close to a wall that you close the port of (which would be say less than 2cm) I have a pair of Genelec speakers, and I'm very satisfied with them.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #4
If you are going to spend that much money on a pair of studio monitors you are probably going to connect them up using XLR plugs. That means you cannot mount them closer than 3" from the rear wall anyway. That is sufficient. Even using 1/4" jacks will push them out far enough for your purposes.

It is possible to make virtually any ported speaker fart if you drive them hard enough with pumping 4/4 material. That's not down to the proximity of the surface behind the port but the rapid sucking and blowing of large volumes of air through the aperture.

I speak as the delighted owner of ADAM A3X, A5X (front tube ports) and EVE SC204 (rear slot port) among others.

This is an excellent source of material for getting the best out of studio monitors.

Installation

Click on downloads on the right then look down the bottom in the installation guide paragraph.

This one is particularly relevant.

Set up guide

Reply #5
They need to be front ported since I'm going to place them near a wall.

And why can't you place rear ported speakers near a wall? It's an urban myth that this is a problem, as long as you don't place them so close to a wall that you close the port of (which would be say less than 2cm) I have a pair of Genelec speakers, and I'm very satisfied with them.

My LSR308s rear ports are about  3 inches from the wall. The distance couldn't be less due to the geometry of the space where they are located and how they are oriented.

The Behringer Truths B2031 etc, have front ports and an excellent repuation.

Reply #6
Does anyone have an opinion on the Adam F7s?

Reply #7
Does anyone have an opinion on the Adam F7s?

Right now I'm trying to choose between the Adam F7s and the Tannoy Reveal 802s.

Reply #8
I was gonna start a new thread about this, good thing I did a search first! 

$5-800USD is exactly my price range too. I'm learning towards a pair of Yamaha HS8, have you looked at those? My favorite article I've found thus far on the Best Studio Monitors makes a case for the Yamaha HS8, Equator D5, KRK Rokit, and JBL LSR305. I haven't done any research on the Tannoy Reveal 802, but from what I've read I would pick Yamaha HS8s over the Adam F7s. A pair of HS8s are $700USD if you get them from Amazon.

What are you using them for, by the way? Electronic music production?

Reply #9
But, I'm a long-time fan of JBL, but I'm not in a position to make a recommendation.  I haven't heard any of those speakers... 

Here are a couple of articles from Moulton Labs:
Choosing Studio Monitors
What About Big Studio Monitors

A monitor should have smooth, wide, and accurate frequency response.  It shouldn't have "good sound", it should have accurate  sound (so a good recording sounds good and a bad recording sounds bad). 

As long as you have reasonably good monitors (and a good room) you can learn to make good mixes.    It's just as important to "learn you monitors" as it is to have good monitors.

Bass requires large woofers and big amplifiers.    My rule-of-thumb is a minimum woofer size of 8-inches.  Anything smaller than that and I don't really consider it a "woofer".  But, there's more to bass than the size of the woofer so that's just a general guideline.

For accurate bass monitoring, room acoustics are just as important as the woofer/subwoofer.    With "near field monitoring", most of the mid & high-frequency sound comes directly from the speaker and room reflections aren't quite as important.   

In a bad room you'll get nodes & antinodes (at different frequencies at different places in the room) so the bass you are hearing can be very misleading.  Some people with bedroom studios just get a monitor with a small woofer and just go with whatever bass they get. [a href="http://realtraps.com/articles.htm" rel="nofollow"]RealTraps.com[/a] has some good information about acoustics and how to measure yorur room.    Note that bass traps can increase bass by "trapping" the bass that would otherwise be reflected out-of-phase and canceled, as well as trapping the bass that would be reflected in-phase, causing a bump in frequency response.    (You can EQ-out a bump, but you can't EQ-out a dip where the bass is canceled.)

Reply #10
I was gonna start a new thread about this, good thing I did a search first! 

$5-800USD is exactly my price range too. I'm learning towards a pair of Yamaha HS8, have you looked at those? My favorite article I've found thus far on the Best Studio Monitors makes a case for the Yamaha HS8, Equator D5, KRK Rokit, and JBL LSR305. I haven't done any research on the Tannoy Reveal 802, but from what I've read I would pick Yamaha HS8s over the Adam F7s. A pair of HS8s are $700USD if you get them from Amazon.

What are you using them for, by the way? Electronic music production?

There are a lot of good choices in that price range, but ultimately it should come down to what you prefer, not other folks. I'm not aware of any blind tests of monitors in that range, which would go a long way to determining which were preferred based on their sound output. I'm sure Harman (JBL) does them, but again, not aware of any published results. HA is a forum that normally (by TOS rules) relies of verifiable scientific info like DBTs as performed by folks like Dr Floyd Toole, Sean Olive etc, at Harman et al.
Unfortunately there are still folks who posit sighted beliefs/myths/infomercials as trumping results of DBTs, hence you'll see shilling for products jokingly referred to by folks like Dr Floyd Toole as "Money traps".
If you are indeed looking for info about room acoustic despite not asking, be aware there are many good AES papers, including several done by the aforementioned Toole, that will provide you scientific listen test/perceptually validated results, completely unlike the studiophile believer infomercial site linked above.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020