Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC vs MP3: battery drain? (Read 7801 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC vs MP3: battery drain?

Hi,

I have some file on FLAC and some on MP3.

On a modern Android device, FLAC use more battery that MP3 ?

Thanks!

Reply #1
FLAC uses a lot less CPU power than MP3 in general, but its hard to say for any specific device which will be more efficient.  You'd have to test it and see.

Reply #2
You'd have to test it and see.

I agree that he'll have to test and see.

FLAC uses a lot less CPU power than MP3 in general

... assuming both are run on a CPU. But that would be a questionable assumption for a smartphone. I would expect most modern SoCs to have an hardware accelerator/fixed function unit for MP3 decoding. It will be extremely efficient (as compared to decoding on a CPU).

Reply #3
... assuming both are run on a CPU.

Or DSP.

I would expect most modern SoCs to have an hardware accelerator/fixed function unit for MP3 decoding. It will be extremely efficient (as compared to decoding on a CPU).

Hardware offload these days is a DSP, not fixed function.  I don't think anyone offloads FLAC, but it may not be worthwhile anyway since decoding is so fast anyway.

Reply #4
Hardware offload these days is a DSP, not fixed function.

OK
I don't think anyone offloads FLAC

Right, that's what I had in the back of my mind. You tunnel the audio to some specialized, efficient unit to improve battery life. Presumably, you tunnel MP3 and perhaps some other stuff but probably not FLAC.

So, even though FLAC decoding is easier to do in principle, one could conjecture it yields worse battery life, simply because your (power-hungry) CPUs sleep less often or less deep when playing FLAC.

Reply #5
I believe originally, on the earlier portable devices, lossless would eat more battery because they had to load the files more often. That mattered if you had a small play buffer and spinning discs to load the files from. Full flash devices with larger play buffers removed this issue. The result is that it is now solely the CPU's playback effort that could make a difference.

It shouldn't be too difficult to test this in real life though. Just create two very long playlists, one with each format, and play until the battery is dead.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead