Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do you listen to an ABX test? (Read 357608 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you listen to an ABX test?

Reply #1250
In short the quotes are all bogus straw men, the fabrication of the article's author.
No they're not. As mentioned in the comments under the article, many of them come from here...
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/hot-stampers/

You have to click "+ view comments" and "load more comments" to see them.

What's slightly disingenuous in using those quotes is that the comments were mostly about collectable vinyl; something which has a value quite outside of being in the category of "audiophile goods". Lots of people buy it and never play it! Plus, of course, it's often possible (even easy) to pick out different masterings in double blind tests. Sometimes even with tin ears, never mind golden ones.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #1251
In short the quotes are all bogus straw men, the fabrication of the article's author.

No they're not. As mentioned in the comments under the article, many of them come from here...
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/hot-stampers/

Fact-checking via text search of key words in the first 5 and last 2 quotes comes up empty. If I go much beyond that, I'd be obsessing. ;-)

Goggle didn't find them either.

You have to click "+ view comments" and "load more comments" to see them.

I don't believe everything I read on the web, even if the head placebophile on the site (MikeL)  didn't say it! ;-)

I've seen this Mikey strut his stuff on the Stereophile Forum, and the truth and him seem to be strangers.

What's slightly disingenuous in using those quotes is that the comments were mostly about collectable vinyl; something which has a value quite outside of being in the category of "audiophile goods". Lots of people buy it and never play it! Plus, of course, it's often possible (even easy) to pick out different masterings in double blind tests. Sometimes even with tin ears, never mind golden ones.

I agree with that. Even if the quotes are in the referenced article, its still out-of-context.

Reply #1252
If I go much beyond that, I'd be obsessing. ;-)
I'm sure no one would want you to obsess over audiophiles.

But it's unwise to accuse people of "fabrication" simply because Google doesn't index the dynamic web pages the quotes came from. Especially when the person using the quotes provided a reference.

When you've made a mistake, a Mea Cupla wouldn't go amiss.

(I say these things in a friendly way. I don't wish you to be open to easy criticism.)

Cheers,
David.

Reply #1253
If I go much beyond that, I'd be obsessing. ;-)
I'm sure no one would want you to obsess over audiophiles.

But it's unwise to accuse people of "fabrication" simply because Google doesn't index the dynamic web pages the quotes came from. Especially when the person using the quotes provided a reference.

When you've made a mistake, a Mea Cupla wouldn't go amiss.

That will happen when evidence provided checks out.

I was surprised that searching Hot Stampers article about LPs came up so empty.

Not the first time a placebophlie lie MikeL  practiced a little misdirection...

Reply #1254
Even worse is his deliberate confusion of how ABX tests are used. Suddenly a personal ABX test is a false negative when the person does not hear down to the thresholds of hearing (which have been established in laboratory settings with artificial test signals)... Maybe the person does not live in an anechoic chamber? Maybe his equipment is not so great? Maybe his hearing is shot? Why then, ffs, should he hear a difference regardless if he thinks he hears one sighted?!

I think that any person who understands experimental design would look at the experiment with a suboptimal acoustic setting, poor equipment, and poor hearing and say: "It is what it is. Now we have a data point for a test done under these conditions."

It is ironic that Keny's celebrated paper: ""Temporal predictability enhances auditory detection" could have all of those flaws!

That's why I asked him this, which he completely evaded to this day. That's dishonest.

In case John is suffering from one of his lapses, here's the relevant questions that you politely asked and that John has rudely dismissed again and again:

Reasonable questions from Xnor that JKeny has dismissed to this day (like for a month and counting!)

"

Please define:
- the test scenario:
What claims are being tested? Who is supposed to participate in it? Who is the target audience? ...

- the test itself:
What exactly is being tested? Who actually participates? How does the test procedure look like (the main part is ABX I guess)? Are all trials logged? Are all test results collected, or can participants randomly send in their logs when they feel like it? ...

- the analysis of the results:
How are positive and negative results analyzed and interpreted? When is the claim sufficiently evidenced? When can the claim be rejected? And everything in between ...

- what you mean by false negative:
So far your definitions were either unusably vague, nonsensical or unreasonable to work with. We cannot look into the brains and make judgments based on beliefs ... we can only try to eliminate biases, not eliminate them entirely.

- how do potential false positives and false negatives effect the results and conclusion?

- how do you suggest do we detect false positives and false negatives?
Please don't just say "add a control here". Be specific.
"

As amusing as this thread can be, perhaps rather than endlessly generating walls of text that run in the same all too familiar by now circles every few pages, it might be worthwhile it work work this all into a flowchart -- or series of flowcharts.

This would force some to face (or permanently run away from) the overall logic of the situation, and eventually produce a user friendly product that would work well in the knowledgebase. ... or has this already been done somewhere?

Reply #1255
As amusing as this thread can be, perhaps rather than endlessly generating walls of text that run in the same all too familiar by now circles every few pages, it might be worthwhile it work work this all into a flowchart -- or series of flowcharts.

This would force some to face (or permanently run away from) the overall logic of the situation, and eventually produce a user friendly product that would work well in the knowledgebase. ... or has this already been done somewhere?

Yes, I find this thread amusing & revealing. I find the hard rabble of posters reveal quiet a bit about themselves & their insecurities - continually using personal attacks to deflect from the central issue. The more they post, the more revealing it becomes. I had given up a long, long time ago wondering if any reasonable discussion would ever emerge - since them I'm happy to just let the lynch mob shout & rant in a fog of self-revealing posts.

Your suggestion would probably be useful but I doubt it will be treated with anything but disdain or denial.

Reply #1256
Yes, I get better, more "comprehensive results" with longer term (peeking) "listening"

John, this is the crux of the matter.
You don't claim to get more "comprehensive results" with BS-1116.
You don't claim to get more "comprehensive results" with ABC/HR.
You don't claim to get more "comprehensive results" with 60+ trials ABX with positive controls.
You regard any form of blind testing to be an impediment to "more comprehensive results". That's why you stated blind tests are "stupidity". They prevent you from deluding yourself and getting the desired "results".
This whole "ABX" "concern" is just a smokescreen. You said so unambiguously above.

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #1257
I had given up a long, long time ago wondering if any reasonable discussion would ever emerge

A "reasonable" discussion of your belief that "long term" peeking/self delusion gives a "more comprehensive" result of information in the physical soundfield? How you figure results are anatomically "skewed" with zero data??
John, this isn't a psychiatric forum. That's Arny Krueger, not Justin Kruger responding to you. There is no David Dunning here that I'm aware of.
You stated blind tests are "stupidity" and you get ""more comprehensive" results via uncontrolled self delusion.
What sort of "reasonable" discussion of such infantile beliefs were you expecting here?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #1258

There are no complex arguments here. They are actually very simple and fallacious points that jkeny keeps repeating, and dishonestly does so on other forums, and every single one of them has been answered several times more or less in depth.

I know that jkeny thinks he's built up something, but besides the straw men it's not even a house of cards (actually 'circus tent' would be more fitting) - his strongest argument is completely vapid. He's just slinging mud, trying to denigrate blind testing so his fragile world view does not break apart.

He's admitted to the false positive problem in sighted 'testing', which is blatantly obvious to anyone who has ever read audiophile reviews.
He's even linked to research that demonstrates the high level of (self-)deception in sighted listening in the beginning of this thread.

That's why we need to do blind testing, there is no away around that. He is clearly in denial of this fact.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #1259

There are no complex arguments here. They are actually very simple and fallacious points that jkeny keeps repeating, and dishonestly does so on other forums, and every single one of them has been answered several times more or less in depth.

The flow chart is something like this:

Keny presents a false claim
    |
    |

One or more HA regulars present a thorough debunking of the latest Kenny False Claim

|
    |

Keny Deflects with another false claim?          Keny Deflects with false accusation?  Keny Dismisses?    Keny Ignores?

<Loop>

Reply #1261
Yes, I find this thread amusing & revealing. I find the hard rabble of posters reveal quiet a bit about themselves & their insecurities - continually using personal attacks to deflect from the central issue. The more they post, the more revealing it becomes. I had given up a long, long time ago wondering if any reasonable discussion would ever emerge - since them I'm happy to just let the lynch mob shout & rant in a fog of self-revealing posts.

Your suggestion would probably be useful but I doubt it will be treated with anything but disdain or denial.

I  can't  control  the  hysterics  ...

... The ... 

...IRONY!

Reply #1262

The flow chart is something like this:

Keny presents a false claim
    |
    |

One or more HA regulars present a thorough debunking of the latest Kenny False Claim

|
    |

Keny Deflects with another false claim?          Keny Deflects with false accusation?  Keny Dismisses?    Keny Ignores?

<Loop>

That's the chart that would be nice to stop repeating. 

Reply #1263
Thread title: How do you listen to an ABX test?

John Keny: I don't. I prefer peeking long term, unencumbered by any controls whatsoever. To hear those glaring differences in the first notes. As a matter of fact, differences so glaring, that mention of blind tests (aka ABX) are "stupidity". Peeking gives more comprehensive results.
Ok, now let's have a reasonable discussion.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #1264

I know that jkeny thinks he's built up something, but besides the straw men it's not even a house of cards (actually 'circus tent' would be more fitting) - his strongest argument is completely vapid. He's just slinging mud, trying to denigrate blind testing so his fragile world view does not break apart.

He's admitted to the false positive problem in sighted 'testing', which is blatantly obvious to anyone who has ever read audiophile reviews.
He's even linked to research that demonstrates the high level of (self-)deception in sighted listening in the beginning of this thread.

That's why we need to do blind testing, there is no away around that. He is clearly in denial of this fact.

It isn't overly complex, but how many pages has this gone on for ... and is it ever going to stop if people just keep typing words at each other. If someone is using propaganda techniques of burying any good point with a couple of following pages of misdirection and chaos, why keep going down that path?

It would be a bit of work, but probably no more than has already been put into this mess of a thread, to put the essential points into a visual logical structure.

What is the question being asked? Does someone think they can already hear a difference. Do they want to determine if there is a difference. Do they want to find out which sounds "better"?

What are the various tests that can be applied to the particular questions. Sighted or blind. Simple to list the problems with sighted tests - blind gets divided into the various types types from TOS 8 ABX to HA group listening tests, to academic/scientific research tests. Much confusion has been generated here by someone continuously mixing these up. It would be good to clearly define and separate.

What is the logic flow to each approach.

Gotta go for a bike ride now... I''l be back.

Think visual:Visit My Website

Reply #1265
Thread title: How do you listen to an ABX test?

John Keny: I have zero statistics on false positives and negatives for any ABX test extant. I've said so repeatedly.
Now we need to agree why ABX tests are so heavily skewed to produce a preponderance of false negatives.
Can we please have a rational, reasonable adult discussion about this? Thanks ya'll.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #1266
What is the question being asked?

John Keny is asking no questions. His purpose here is to repetitively declare that any kind of listening test other than casual audiophile evaluations is so flawed as to not be worth anybody's time.

Does someone think they can already hear a difference.

John Keny has said that the audible superiority of his DACs which he calls "Organic Sound" is immediately audible to just about everybody with an open mind after hearing just a few notes of music.

Do they want to determine if there is a difference.

Waste of time. The audible superiority of Keny's DACs is immediately obvious to anybody who llstens with an open mind and a good enough audio system.

Do they want to find out which sounds "better"?

Please see previous quesiton. Same answer.

What are the various tests that can be applied to the particular questions.

According to Kenny only sighted evaluations are valid because of the inherent and disabling problem of false negatives in DBTs.

According to Keny, no need to consider logic flow for blind tests because they are disqualified from serious consideration for obvious reasons.

Since there is no particular logic flow to Casual Audiophile Sighted Evaluations, we can assume that anything goes.

Reply #1267
It isn't overly complex, but how many pages has this gone on for ... and is it ever going to stop if people just keep typing words at each other. If someone is using propaganda techniques of burying any good point with a couple of following pages of misdirection and chaos, why keep going down that path?

Well, it's not that simple.

jkeny made a lot of fallacious points based on
- his ignorance of about human hearing and bias (for example he thought/thinks that sighted listening is the ruler for audio quality, but shot himself in the foot with a link to solive's blog post early on)
- his ignorance and lack of experience with blind testing
- his ignorance of hypothesis testing (he still doesn't seem to grasp the fairly simple concept)
- his confusion between ABX and blind testing (based on ignorance first, but later confusions can only be described as deliberate)
- his ignorance of what ABX even is (e.g. I had to explain to him what A and B are in ABX, he still dishonestly mentions the PFM "blind AB" failure with ABX, etc.)
- his ignorance of statistics in general (e.g. when I first mentioned the binomial distribution and coin tosses he complained about me "muddying the waters" with jargon)
- his confusion about anecdotes (indeed, he still seems to think that anecdotes trump objective evidence)
- basic philosophy, science and logic (burden of proof, the countless fallacies)
The list could go on, but I think these are the most appalling things.

For each of these points we had to post easy to understand explanations (it took a while to figure that out), and we still didn't get through to him most of the time. So he repeated nonsense and we had to clarify again, for each single point...

If you know the basics about each of these topics then nothing of this would be a question you cannot answer yourself. I don't think you'd even come up with most of his points.

PS: Ignorance is not bad, we can do something about it ... as long as it is not willful.

Reply #1268
What is the question being asked?

John Keny is asking no questions. His purpose here is to repetitively declare that any kind of listening test other than casual audiophile evaluations is so flawed as to not be worth anybody's time.

Does someone think they can already hear a difference.

John Keny has said that the audible superiority of his DACs which he calls "Organic Sound" is immediately audible to just about everybody with an open mind after hearing just a few notes of music.

Do they want to determine if there is a difference.

Waste of time. The audible superiority of Keny's DACs is immediately obvious to anybody who llstens with an open mind and a good enough audio system.

Do they want to find out which sounds "better"?

Please see previous quesiton. Same answer.

What are the various tests that can be applied to the particular questions.

According to Kenny only sighted evaluations are valid because of the inherent and disabling problem of false negatives in DBTs.

According to Keny, no need to consider logic flow for blind tests because they are disqualified from serious consideration for obvious reasons.

Since there is no particular logic flow to Casual Audiophile Sighted Evaluations, we can assume that anything goes.

You're stuck in battle mode, and it isn't helping you at all. Drop taking things personally for a bit. Forget jkeny for a bit.

A PERSON has various methods at his disposal to try to determine if one thing might sound better, or even different from something else. How can he/she best understand and use them appropriately for any given situation.

I am advocating disengaging from jkeny as that really isn't getting anywhere, and focusing on  mapping out the landscape of what is being discussed here as clearly as possible. It's been done pretty well verbally several times over in this thread, but what good does it really do buried in this mess?
I'm a primarily visual/nonverbal thinker, so I'm biased to having things presented in that way -- but pretty much anyone benefits something like a clear flowchart. However it's done, I think it would be good to clarify and externalize.the key points from this thread.

This deserves much more than I've said here, but I type slow, and need to go start on dinner.

Reply #1269
You're stuck in battle mode, and it isn't helping you at all. Drop taking things personally for a bit. Forget jkeny for a bit.

I'm not stuck at all, as shown by my various non-conflict posts over the past month or more. For example there are files for a goodly number of new and different ABX tests in the upload forum that I have developed and uploaded in the past month.

A PERSON has various methods at his disposal to try to determine if one thing might sound better, or even different from something else. How can he/she best understand and use them appropriately for any given situation.

I am advocating disengaging from jkeny as that really isn't getting anywhere, and focusing on  mapping out the landscape of what is being discussed here as clearly as possible. It's been done pretty well verbally several times over in this thread, but what good does it really do buried in this mess?
I'm a primarily visual/nonverbal thinker, so I'm biased to having things presented in that way -- but pretty much anyone benefits something like a clear flowchart. However it's done, I think it would be good to clarify and externalize.the key points from this thread.

This deserves much more than I've said here, but I type slow, and need to go start on dinner.

There are a lot of problems with that since Keny has hijacked the thread (read it from the start!, it was about something different from false negatives) and during his hijacking there has been no real opportunity for serious discussion because of the issues already mentioned.

If have questions about DBTs, maybe you should start a different thread and maybe we can keep Keny from hijacking it, too.

Reply #1270

There are a lot of problems with that since Keny has hijacked the thread (read it from the start!, it was about something different from false negatives) and during his hijacking there has been no real opportunity for serious discussion because of the issues already mentioned.

If have questions about DBTs, maybe you should start a different thread and maybe we can keep Keny from hijacking it, too.

Fair enough. This thread has been OT for so long I was wondering why it hadn't been split long ago.

Seems even you've become confused on what it was originally about -- "How to listen to an ABX test" and not the DBT's in general.   

Good Luck!

Reply #1271

Fair enough. This thread has been OT for so long I was wondering why it hadn't been split long ago.

Seems even you've become confused on what it was originally about -- "How to listen to an ABX test" and not the DBT's in general. 

I'm not confused at all - it has been painful watching something that started out on a topic that I think is of paramount importance get hijacked into so much posturing.

The most critical parts of a listening test are:

(1) Selection of recording, where picking the right 3 seconds of a recording can be a make it or break it issue.
(2) Monitoring system and room.
(3) Listener Training.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over statistics just shows how disconnected some people are from the meat of the matter. Typically they are people with very limited experience with actually doing good listening tests - dilettantes and rank amateurs.

It's a listening test after all, and the statistics are a key supporting function.

Reply #1272
JJ Johnston & his expertise has been referenced a couple of times in this thread - Here's what JJ has to say in his presentation here
A control is a test condition that tests the test. There can be many kinds of controls:
  • A positive control
    • This is a condition that a subject should be able to detect.
    • If they don’t, you have a problem.
  • A negative control
    • A vs. A is the classical negative control
    • If your subject hears a difference, you have a problem
  • Anchoring elements
    • Conditions that relate scoring of this test to results in other tests
    • These can vary depending on need, and may not be obligatory

And following this slide he states
Do I have to have controls?
YES
Well, unless you don’t want to know how good your test is, of course.

Reply #1273
Yes. and as we have explained a million times, if you e.g. test for a preference between original and lossy file, then you could run an ABX first to make sure you're scoring the right file. This is what some people actually do, and it works.

Also, as I have explained, if you don't even trust your own equipment for some home-run test, then you should start testing it first e.g. with low bitrate mp3's. If you cannot distinguish those then either your system is very low-fi, grossly misconfigured, or your hearing is shot. In this case the differences you thought you heard before are even more likely to be just the product of your brain.
You will fail both A vs. X=A and A vs. X=B trials, i.e. random guessing. Then it's up to luck to hit the <5% jackpot for a false positive result.

Reply #1274
Yes. and as we have explained a million times, if you e.g. test for a preference between original and lossy file, then you could run an ABX first to make sure you're scoring the right file. This is what some people actually do.
Yes but this is being done prior to the test, not within the actual test itself -there are differences & assumptions implicit in this
Also, as I have explained, if you don't even trust your own equipment for some home-run test, then you should start testing it first e.g. with low bitrate mp3's. If you cannot distinguish those then either your system is very low-fi, grossly misconfigured, or your hearing is shot.
And as I've explained many times, it's not JUST about the equipment, etc - it's about testing the test itself to ascertain how good it is, as JJ says!