Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "MP3 is Not a Four-Letter Word" (Read 4584 times) previous topic - next topic

"MP3 is Not a Four-Letter Word"

Signed by a certain Alex.

The MP3 encoder doesn’t care about the listener’s pedigree or how expensive the gear is in which it is being played on

Is (s)he a HA regular or what? 

So should you rip everything to MP3 as your primary archival format? Absolutely not. The MP3 was never designed for that purpose.

Though not properly backed up by sources but common sense apparently, I found this to be rather thought-provoking.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #1
So should you rip everything to MP3 as your primary archival format? Absolutely not. The MP3 was never designed for that purpose.

Though not properly backed up by sources but common sense apparently, I found this to be rather thought-provoking.

Well I certainly hope that statement is true - that one didn't design a format for the purposes of archiving CD rips, without support for gapless playback (that is a retro-fitted hack, y'know).

But the next statement: If you are selecting the MP3 option every time you buy music off of Bandcamp then you are making a grave mistake.
Whatever - if you believe Bandcamp is gonna stay around, then your Bandcamp purchases can be redownloaded as lossless :-)

Reply #2
The only reason I innitially posted the link was not to show how flawless it was, but that I actually thought it not to be too bad at all for a(n) (apparently) non-geeky music community.

Other of their articles, such as "Blinded by Science" and "It’s The Loudness War Dummy", do seem to back up my innitial guess they're trying their best to educate their readership into the truth behind all the snake-oil peddling audiophools love so.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #5
But the next statement: If you are selecting the MP3 option every time you buy music off of Bandcamp then you are making a grave mistake.
Whatever - if you believe Bandcamp is gonna stay around, then your Bandcamp purchases can be redownloaded as lossless :-)

I *think* what the author was getting at is that you should download the highest quality source as possible and then transcode to your lossy format of choice. I read the article yesterday so I may not remember correctly, but he does mention transcoding and how lossy to lossy is bad. So he isn't saying MP3 isn't worth it just that you should be choosing lossless. Why re-download as lossless when you can get lossless from the beginning.

Edit: Typo
--
Eric