Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Uninstalling 1.3.6 does not work (Read 1412 times) previous topic - next topic

Uninstalling 1.3.6 does not work

I am having trouble uninstalling fb2k 1.3.6 from my Windows 8.1 system. If I double click the uninstaller, the process starts then closes automatically, nothing else happens. No error message, nothing. I also tried launching the uninstaller as administrator manually with no success. Any ideas?

Reply #1
Could you provide a Process Monitor log showing this problem? The uninstaller part hasn't changed since April and I can't replicate the problem without some help.

Reply #3
Thank you for the log. I believe I found the bug causing crashing but so far I failed to replicate the scenario that triggered it for you. Would you kindly test if the attached uninstall.exe works correctly?
Edit: that was too hasty. Needs a little bit more work.

Reply #4
Now the problem is fixed for real. If you haven't rebooted yet you can verify that this version works as it should. [attachment=8093:uninstall.zip]

Reply #5
I get a warning from Microsoft SmartScreen that the app is unknown and possible harmful, but if I tell it to execute the executable nevertheless, it works.  May I ask what the problem was?

Reply #6
The crashing happened in a function where the uninstaller checks if the temporary copy running in %temp% is already marked to be deleted. I dislike filling temp and registry needlessly so I only want to have one temporary copy of the uninstaller around and only mark its deletion on next reboot once.
The check is based on this script with unicode and safety fixes. Unfortunately a fix I had introduced to handle non-null terminated data in the registry key had left overflow bug when there's too much data there. But that oversight is now fixed.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021