Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audibility of Audio Power Amplifier Distortions (Read 70402 times) previous topic - next topic

Audibility of Audio Power Amplifier Distortions

Reply #25
Because of  my professional experience with computers particularly mainframe computers going back to 1965 I have long been intimately familiar with SMPS. I've also built thousands of PCs and every one had a SMPS.

???  Please forgive me Arny for being blunt but that is like the gas station attendant saying he is intimately familiar with the engine in your car because he has put gas in thousands of cars .

For opener's Amir your unfounded, unwarranted, egregious personal insults skip over most of just the fraction of my response that you quoted out of context.

Secondly a gas station attendant need not have the skills to build or maintain a car. Your example doesn't fit.

All you need there is a screwdriver to bolt a power supply to a PC case.  And plugging in its cable into the motherboard.

The above has got to be very funny for people who actually know the right answer to this question. Installing a PC power supply takes a lot of more than plugging a cable. For example the power supply needs to be appropriate for the application which involves power levels ranging from a bout 65 watts to over 500 watts. There are a number of form factors, and there are some that run directly off of 12 car power. For example, the interface between a PC power supply and the motherboard in a typical modern PC requires 2 or 3 different cables in addition to the power cord which you missed. Thirdly, power cables have to be run to the disc drives, and may video cards have their own power cables that run back to the power supply. There may be a dozen or more different plug formats, and some of them supply the same power, so you have to know which goes to which. Not rocket science but not the dumbed down version you came up with!

Bottom line Amir while it is true that a smart high school kid can sometimes successfully build a PC without help, you have shown above how you lack even those basic skills.

That gives you no understanding of how PC switchmode power supplies work.

Well Amir, you have conclusively proven that you are way behind me in that area. Way to go! ;-)

All of  your false claims above still don't answer any of the errors that I found in that incompetent golden ear fluff piece I found about the Levinson 53 at your corporate web site.

My kids in elementary school were building their PCs and I am pretty sure they, nor their friends had any idea how they worked.

In elementary school the kids get something that you obviously lack Amir, and that is adult supervision. ;-)

Have a nice Thanksgiving Amir, and no extra charge for the obviously much needed instruction in how to put a power supply into a PC.

Reply #26

Because of  my professional experience with computers particularly mainframe computers going back to 1965 I have long been intimately familiar with SMPS. I've also built thousands of PCs and every one had a SMPS.

???  Please forgive me Arny for being blunt but that is like the gas station attendant saying he is intimately familiar with the engine in your car because he has put gas in thousands of cars .

For opener's Amir your unfounded, unwarranted, egregious personal insults skip over most of just the fraction of my response that you quoted out of context.

Arny, I didn't ask you to reply or provide your resume.  You did both so I commented on them.  What you listed are not remotely qualifications to understand a switchmode power supply.  This type of power supply is extremely complicated to design/understand even for experienced analog designers.  When I was at Sony and wanted to hire an engineer to design our laptop power supply, I interviewed a ton of analog designers.  None knew even the most fundamental issues in designing them.  If they are not qualified to speak to this topic, surely someone who has just put PCs together and worked on mainframe computers is not remotely qualified to talk about them.

And that is just the power supply.  Here we are talking about the performance of switchmode power supplies as it applies to class D amplifiers.  This is a whole other game requiring even more advanced knowledge than a power supply designer.  All you have demonstrated so far is that you know how to open the case on a power supply.  That gives you no qualifications to comment on this complex topic.

Bottom line Amir while it is true that a smart high school kid can sometimes successfully build a PC without help, you have shown above how you lack even those basic skills.

There we go.  We would not engage said high-school kid on design ramifications of switchmode power supplies in class D amplifiers.  So you saying that qualifies you to speak on this topic is like the analogy I gave.  Skills in assembling computers gets you a minimum wage job here, not anything remotely qualified to speak to topic at hand.
Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, AudioScienceReview.com

Reply #27
so let's see..... 

Amir trumpets an old obscure article by Arny (his personal bete noir) & Co that seems to be comparing two amps, at least one of which had 'problems'.....

He admits he's never heard of or read a rather more widely read article, in Stereo Review (then a mass market newsstand magazine popular with audio fans), from 1991 by E. Brad Meyer, describing load conditions under which two amps will sound different.....

All the while, across multiple websites and threads therein he makes of habit of putting people down* in the guise of 'educating' them from his expert** POV...

And then complains here that posts critical of him have the intent of 'putting me down under the cover of giving me advice'....

Is this guy a piece of work, or what?

____

*including....E. Brad Meyer!

** expert at googling, that is

Reply #28

Arny, I didn't ask you to reply or provide your resume.  You did both so I commented on them.

False claim. Calling a few comments about my experiences with SMPS a resume just shows how desperate some people can become to distract attention from their egregious false claims such as:

http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/Mark...3Amplifier.html

Reinventing the Audio Power Amplifier: Mark Levinson No 53
By Amir Majidimeh

"While this provides improved efficiency it aggravates a weakness of switching amplifiers which is their very high sensitivity (compared to linear amplifiers) to power supply voltage variations and noise which unfortunately get worse with switching supplies. "

Amir, instead of sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, why don't you concede the point or provide believable evidence that switchmode power supplies always makes amplifiers perform audibly worse which is your basic claim, above.

If you could provide reliable evidence that SMPS are as bad as you say with swichmode power amps, people around here who recommend and use them with switchmode power amps could be put back on the road to audio nirvana.

Reply #29
so let's see.....

Yes, let's....

Amir trumpets an old obscure article by Arny (his personal bete noir) & Co that seems to be comparing two amps, at least one of which had 'problems'.....

Wow, how far we have come.  This is a forum that prides itself on requirement for providing double blind evidence of audibility. Now posting about such evidence is a sin!  Why?  Because it has a positive outcome.

The support for forum TOS #8 seems to have stemmed from the expectation that all double blind tests of such would result in negative  outcome.  I can't rationalize commentary like Steven's any other way.

That aside, that test is obscure because until I bought a copy and quoted it online, no one in any of these forums had seen or read it.  Even AES papers claiming to be rounding up amplifier tests did not reference this work where positive identification occurred. 

Hopefully with threads like this we increase its visibility and take it out of obscurity status.

He admits he's never heard of or read a rather more widely read article, in Stereo Review (then a mass market newsstand magazine popular with audio fans), from 1991 by E. Brad Meyer, describing load conditions under which two amps will sound different.....

Come again?  You made a reference to that article.  I asked you to quote what you think is relevant to this thread.  You turn that into me not having the article?  What does that have to do with you putting it forward as  evidence?

As it turns out, I do have the article . Let me quote a relevant section from it:

Recall what Arny said about his testing:

So the distortion level was not "well over 1%."  Meyer says that shouldn't be audible failing to know about Arny and Crew's listening test 9 years prior disputing the same.
All the while, across multiple websites and threads therein he makes of habit of putting people down* in the guise of 'educating' them from his expert** POV...

And then complains here that posts critical of him have the intent of 'putting me down under the cover of giving me advice'....

Is this guy a piece of work, or what?

Once more I am going to request that members stay focused on the technical topic and not discuss me personally.  Right now you are in the hot seat Steven.  You referenced an article you are quoting.  Claimed i don't have a copy of the article which I clearly do.  I have quoted a section from it that disputes your notion that there is nothing new in Arny and friend's test.  Arny's test showed audibility at 1% distortion and Meyer says that is not supposed to be audible.  You have an answer for this?
Amir

Reply #30
so let's see.....

Yes, let's....

Wow, how far we have come.  This is a forum that prides itself on requirement for providing double blind evidence of audibility. Now posting about such evidence is a sin!  Why?  Because it has a positive outcome.

The support for forum TOS #8 seems to have stemmed from the expectation that all double blind tests of such would result in negative  outcome.  I can't rationalize commentary like Steven's any other way.

That aside, that test is obscure because until I bought a copy and quoted it online, no one in any of these forums had seen or read it.  Even AES papers claiming to be rounding up amplifier tests did not reference this work where positive identification occurred. 

Hopefully with threads like this we increase its visibility and take it out of obscurity status.

Come again?  You made a reference to that article.  I asked you to quote what you think is relevant to this thread.  You turn that into me not having the article?  What does that have to do with you putting it forward as  evidence?

As it turns out, I do have the article . Let me quote a relevant section from it:

Reply #31
1% of the time is not 1% distortion.  If it is 100% distortion 1% of the time, you'll hear it

Hehe . I stand corrected.  And present this other evidence from Arny's test:

.  Should have been inaudible according to Meyer.  Steven, what say you?
Amir

Reply #32
False claim. Calling a few comments about my experiences with SMPS a resume just shows how desperate some people can become to distract attention from their egregious false claims such as:

By Amir Majidimehr

"While this provides improved efficiency it aggravates a weakness of switching amplifiers which is their very high sensitivity (compared to linear amplifiers) to power supply voltage variations and noise which unfortunately get worse with switching supplies. "

Amir, instead of sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, why don't you concede the point or provide believable evidence that switchmode power supplies always makes amplifiers perform audibly worse which is your basic claim, above.

My write-up above is specific to class D amplifiers Arny.  Your comment broadens it to all amplifiers. 

If you could provide reliable evidence that SMPS are as bad as you say with swichmode power amps, people around here who recommend and use them with switchmode power amps could be put back on the road to audio nirvana.

I have not offered my write up to this forum/thread.  You are putting it forward.  So you need do as AJ said he would do: demonstrate technically what is wrong with that statement.  Please walk us through what you know of Class D amplifier designs and the relationship to its power supply.

If you can't say what is wrong with that statement technically, then we are done.  So far you have told us you build PCs and worked on mainframe computers.  And some hobbyist unrelated talk about wall wart power supplies.  We are discussing Class D amplification and how to power them.  Do you have anything technical/references to provide there Arny?
Amir

Reply #33
Oh how quaint.  Amir 'found' the E. Brad Meyer article that he must have 'forgotten' before, when he evinced no clue as to its existence.  An article by the guy he  says isn't really authoritative enough to write articles like Meyer & Moran 2007.  Well, that's nice.  He's reviewed it carefully and pulled one line from it and now he accepts EBM's authority, which he interprets as saying: only having >>1% 'ordinary harmonic distortion' makes amp differences audible.  Arny & Co's amps didn't have that, therefore amps sound different because of.... magic reasons, I guess. 

Everyone here is on to him, as I expected they would be. 

Reply #34
Oh how quaint.  Amir 'found' the E. Brad Meyer article that he must have 'forgotten' before, when he evinced no clue as to its existence.  An article by the guy he  says isn't really authoritative enough to write articles like Meyer & Moran 2007.

He is not authoritative there, or here.  Who says this is true:

Where is the double blind test to demonstrate that? 

Well, that's nice.  He's reviewed it carefully and pulled one line from it and now he accepts EBM's authority, which he interprets as saying: only having >>1% 'ordinary harmonic distortion' makes amp differences audible.  Arny & Co's amps didn't have that, therefore amps sound different because of.... magic reasons, I guess.

Oh, I will pull more lines out of it.  You can be sure of that.  You should read and understand what you introduce to a thread.  When you don't do that you get hit on the nose with your own witness statement.

As to your comment, per above I don't buy the speculation from Meyer on THD distortion as it fails the most fundamentals of psychoacoustics.  THD is psychoacoustically blind performance measure and has no place whatsoever in the context of audibility of distortion.  That he uses it to make a point like yet again shows that he is the wrong messiah for objectivity camp.   

I put it forward since you offered it as a trusted reference that easily runs foul of Arny's listening test.  So now you have to take sides, telling us who you think is right: Arny and his test or Meyer.
Everyone here is on to him, as I expected they would be.

Likewise yet again you are full of anger and frustration, but short on any technical contributions.  Can we expect your next post to not be information-free like this one?
Amir

Reply #36
Is this one, reporting amplifier ABX results from trials conducted by David Clark, also in Amir's collection?
"Do All Amplifiers Sound the Same?", Masters, Ian G., Stereo Review, Jan 1987, pg 78-84.

Or most of the list below, for that matter (which includes the three papers mentioned so far)?  It's not like the topic of amplifier difference has never been written about before.  I've got copies of a lot of them. One would think that anyone who is interested in this stuff very much, would.  They wouldn't want to be re-inventing the wheel.

One would think.

But I do so enjoy providing educational resources to the needy such as Amir. 

-References-

"Topological Analysis of Consumer Audio Electronics: Another Approach to Show that MOdern Audio Electronics are Acoustically Transparent", Rich, David and Aczel, Peter, 99 AES Convention, 1995, Print #4053.

"The Great Debate: Is Anyone Winning?", Nousaine, Tom, Proceedings of the AES, 8th International Conference, 1990.

"Audiolab Test: Six Power Amplifiers", Masters, Ian G., Audio Scene Canada, May 1977, pg 44-50.

"Audiolab Test: Amplifiers and Speaker Cables", Masters, Ian G., Audio Scene Canada, Jun 1981, pg 24-27.

"Do All Amplifiers Sound the Same?", Masters, Ian G., Stereo Review, Jan 1987, pg 78-84.

"Audible Amplifier Distortion is not a Mystery", Baxandall, Peter J., Wireless World, Nov 1977, pg 63-66.

"Amplifier Tests on Test-2, The Panel Game", Colloms, Martin, Hi-Fi News & Record Review, Nov 1978, pg 114-117.

"Amplifier Tests on Test-1, Without Prejudice", Hope, Adrian, Hi-Fi News& Record Review, Nov 1978, pg 110-113.

"Positive Feedback: Rational Amplifier Testing", Walker, P. J., Hi-Fi News & Record Review, Jul 1977, pg 135.

"Some Amplifiers Do Sound Different", Carlstrom, D., Kruger, A., & Greenhill, L., The Audio Amateur, 3/1982, pg 30, 31.

"Equipment Profile", Greenhill, L. & Clark, D., Audio, Apr 1985, pg 56-60, 82-97.

"Power Amplifiers and the Loudspeaker Load",Johnson, J. H., Audio, Aug 1977.

"Amplifier Design & Sound Quality", Holman, Tomlinson, Audio, Nov 1996, pg 26-31.

"The Amp/Speakers Interface, are your Loudspeakers turning your amp into a Tone Control?", Meyers, E. Brad, Stereo Review, Jun 1991, pg 53-56.

"Audio Power Amplifiers for Loudspeaker Loads", Benjamin, Eric, Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol 42, No. 9, Sep 1994, pg 670-683.

"A New Look at Medium and High-Priced Power Amplifiers", Rich, David, The Audio Critic, #20, Summer 93, pg 14.

"Reasonably Priced Pre amplifiers for the Reasonable Audiophiles"  Rich, David, The Audio Critic, #18, Spring/Summer 1992.

Amp Tests, Boston Audio Society Speaker, Vol 21, No.2, pg 18-20, Sep 1997.

//

PS. Amir can read these for extra class credit:
the well-known, long and considered, but ultimately inconclusive, essay by Rod Elliot
http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm

and Roger Russell's amusing and also well-known  (to those in the trenches) 'Audio Distortions' page, which includes an anecdote about hjis own ABX of amplifers
http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm

Warm up your highlighter, Amir!  There may be pop quizzes on the material!

Reply #37

Steven, I am going to ask you directly and specifically: do you have the Meyer article that you asked me about?  I searched online and every reference with your name simply threw out the title as you did here, not quoting a single thing.  Of course I may have missed it.

Can you point to a reference some place where you have directly quoted this article? 

"The Amp/Speaker Interface: Are Your Loudspeakers Turning Your Amplifier into a Tone Control?" E. Brad Meyer, Stereo Review, June 1991, page 54

Amir

Reply #38

Steven, I am going to ask you directly and specifically: do you have the Meyer article that you asked me about?

Yes,I do and have done, for years.  It was available online for years, too,  and I've linked to it in the past.  The article is gone now from the Internets and has been for some time, alas.  Perhaps I will remedy that the next time I'm near a scanner.

Pop quiz!  Please identify the *page number* where each snippet occurs:

1. "...tube amplifiers (and solid-state amps designed deliberately to behave like tube amps) will tend to behave differently...."

2. "...to this day, no one has been able to do it, except under special conditions...."

3." ...looks like we should buy the transistor amplifier because its response is flatter...."

4. "...amplifiers cost thousands off dollars, and people buy them....."

5. "...an upward tilt below 500Hz that gave the tube amplifier a warmer overall tone..."
You will not be graded on a curve.

Btw, next time, please raise you had before you shout out a question in class, or you will be sent away for a time-out.

Reply #39
Pop quiz!  Please identify the *page number* where each snippet occurs:

1. "...tube amplifiers (and solid-state amps designed deliberately to behave like tube amps) will tend to behave differently...."

2. "...to this day, no one has been able to do it, except under special conditions...."

3." ...looks like we should buy the transistor amplifier because its response is flatter...."

4. "...amplifiers cost thousands off dollars, and people buy them....."

5. "...an upward tilt below 500Hz that gave the tube amplifier a warmer overall tone..."
You will not be graded on a curve.

Let me help you with the out of context quote in #3 Steven:

Amir

Reply #40
But I do so enjoy providing educational resources to the needy such as Amir. 

-References-

Thanks for the reference Steven.  Alas, you are just cutting and pasting some poor guy's web site.  What is the point in that?

While there, I took a look at his home page and saw his gear: http://2eyespy.tripod.com/index.html

.  A taste of that below.

PS. Amir can read these for extra class credit:
the well-known, long and considered, but ultimately inconclusive, essay by Rod Elliot
http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm

Did you read this part Steven?

"If THD is quoted without reference to its harmonic content, then it is quite possible that two amplifiers may indicate identical distortion figures, but one will sound much worse than the other. "

Precisely what I said about the mistaken remark from Meyer regarding THD as a metric/threshold for distortion. 

But yes, that is a great reference and I have read every page there and some multiple times.  Alas if you are not an analog electrical engineer/designer you will get lost and lost quick.

and Roger Russell's amusing and also well-known  (to those in the trenches) 'Audio Distortions' page, which includes an anecdote about hjis own ABX of amplifers
http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm

So you approve of these few paragraphs?

"If you have only heard one CD player, you may have enjoyed all of the advantages without being aware that there are still differences. In an A-B comparison, response is the same, even when compared with a steady source such as pink noise. Harmonic and intermodulation distortion are so low that the players all sound very clean.

The difference is something new and may require a readjustment to know what to listen for. The difference is in imaging. It is most easily heard using speakers that have exceptional imaging capabilities, like my new speaker system. However, regardless of what speaker is used, it is almost impossible to convey a listening experience in words. Nevertheless, I will try to describe what I have heard. I have used a McIntosh MCD7005, McIntosh MVP851and a McIntosh MVP851 supplemented with a McIntosh MDA1000 digital to analog converter for the listening tests. I made these tests in late 2004 and early 2005. My listening was done in two different ways. The first was in instant switching between the two choices and the second was long term listening to each.

Imaging using the 7005 appears to be very wide with orchestral music but there was separateness of the sound with the left and right speakers. I had always assumed this was the way the recordings were made. On the other hand, some new age recordings seemed to completely envelop the listener. That was very pleasing. It was only when I began using the 851 that I noticed there was a difference in imaging. Classical music sounded like it had much better coherence and less separateness, giving it more clarity and sense of aliveness. However, it was more than just imaging. It was a new kind of distortion difference, more like a phase distortion of some kind that affected the coherence of the image. The 851 was made in 2004 and the older 7005 was made in 1987.

The explanation had a definite physical cause. It was the digital-to-analog filtering. "

Maybe I should quote him the Stuart thread if you think this is authoritative.  It fully supports the work there of finding differences in filters.

On amplifiers, he has this to say:

When Good Amplifiers Can Sound Different

Transients

Another factor related to ringing and oscillation is transients. This determines how well an amplifier with extended bandwidth can reproduce waveforms, particularly the leading edge and trailing edge. I adopted a 2kHz square wave as a favorite test. Some of the components are still below 20kHz and some are above. Ideally, a square wave at this frequency should be as good as a high quality square wave generator output. However, a poorly designed amplifier or an older amplifier that had tested good when it was new but now has deteriorated components may not meet the “good” amplifier criteria. Sensitivity to transients can be related to how we hear. However, the ear may behave more like a waveform analyzer such as an oscilloscope rather than a harmonic component analyzer.

What do you know.  He is making the same point intuitively that I made by quoting JJ on how our hearing works (in time domain not as a spectrum analyzer).

Can't wait. 

For now, if you are right with your point of view in audio Steven, it shouldn't be this easy to use your own references and quote how they dispute your views.  You are not even quoting anything from them!  So confident you are that you just throw the titles at us hoping no one tries to see if they back your position? 

Amir

Reply #41
The discussion here is about class D amplifiers.  Contrary to popular myth, class D does not mean "Digital."  The letter D was just the next one in the alphabet.  So you working with mainframe computers gives you no familiarity whatsoever with the design of class D amplifiers.

That's all well known Amir and does not relate to the discussion. As usual Amir, you are just arguing with yourself.

Amir it would appear that  with all of your usual attempts to distract the discussion from a critical question that you obviously don't want to respond to honestly which came about because you've posted a highly misleading article on your company web site.  You've implicitly conceded your gross error about SMPS without taking responsibility for it. You appear to have no answer or correction to your egregiously bad false claims. You could at least quietly slink off and fix the web site, but that hasn't happened, either.

By Amir Majidimeh

Amir, why don't you concede the point like an honest man or provide believable evidence that switchmode power supplies always makes amplifiers perform audibly worse which is your basic claim, above.

Reply #42

Mine certainly was not an 'out of context quote', my quotes were chosen more or less at random where my eye happened to land.  Your quote is from a different sentence, not the same one I pulled mine from.  And you failed to give page numbers for my 5 quotes.

10 demerits.  Smileys and apples get you no credits.

Pop Quiz!:

Quote the entirety of the last question and answer.

Reply #43
the usual self-aggrandizing blather

The beauty part of providing you links to educational resource you've lacked, Amir, is that it provides them to others here, too, who are free to visit or revisit them at whim to put your incorrigible quote-mining into context.

We're onto you here, you know.  This isn't your WTF forum, or even AVSF. 

Reply #44
Horrors of horrors.  Meyer agrees with the subjective reviewers as to which amplifier sounded better!

But until he starts doing proper DBT preference testing, his comments have no better intellectual support than theirs. It is all GIGO.

Reply #45
Same to you Ammar and the rest of the membership in US.

Thanks Amir. Hopefully we can make pardoning a turkey on Thanksgiving day a tradition. 

Ok, where were we? Oh yes, you started a thread about amp distortion due to me posting that embarrassing subjectivist tripe about digital amp PS, filters, etc "sound" on your sales site.
Amir, as a no-Hobbyist who has repeatedly ad hominem attacked M&M, could you please post here in the "Listening Tests" forum, what "listening test" method you used when "hearing" the:
In comparison testing I have done, switching amplifiers using the classic class D configuration always sport incredible low frequency control and power. They beat out linear class AB amplifiers almost regardless of price.

What they give up though is high frequency fidelity which I find somewhat harsh. The distortion is highly non-linear and challenging to spot but it is there. The Mark Levinson No 53 is the first switching amplifier I have heard which does not have this compromise. Its bass is amazingly authoritative: tight and powerful. Yet the rest of the response is absolutely neutral and pleasant.

Please list your:
Set up, equipment, sound room noise levels, etc.
What AB and class D amps were compared?
Who/how was the testing run while you "listened".
What was the listener training?
Was ITU-BS-1116 adhered to, as Amir the Pro/Industry Insider/Objectivist preaches, unlike the clumsy hobbyist M&M testing?
Can you post the statistical results?
Did you find any correlation between the harshness heard and price, or the fact that you purely coincidentally peddle the brand that "won" the audibilty test?
TIA.

cheers,

AJ

p.s., ignoring and evading answers....provide answers also.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #46
If that doesn't upset folks here, this one for sure would:

Here is the caption for above:

Close up of Nordost SPM bi-wire speaker cable with WBT solderless locking banana plugs and the Legacy Whisper binding posts. The SPMs are in a protective custom semi-rigid vinyl/nylon mesh tubing.

Looks like he has not read those references on his web site. 
Story of my life on this forum it seems.

Yes, story of your life if you mean intellectual dishonesty and zero reading comprehension.
Perhaps you can point out where he waxes about the "sound" of those wires when "listening", like a peddler would?
What if he simply likes how they look, while making zero claims about any audible benefit?
Is JJ a hypocrite for accepting those DVDA and SACDs as gifts, despite zero audible benefit vs his CDs? Nope. Only and intellectually bankrupt individual would claim so.

cheers,

AJ

Oh, btw, no pic
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #47
The beauty part of providing you links to educational resource you've lacked, Amir, is that it provides them to others here, too, who are free to visit or revisit them at whim to put your incorrigible quote-mining into context.

Steven, would you kindly indicate in that list which one of those papers/articles you have read?

Ah, you smart ones .
Amir

Reply #48

Steven, would you kindly indicate in that list which one of those papers/articles you have read?

Ah, you smart ones .

Right. Staying away from places where you have exceptional influence is IME a very good idea.

Reply #49
Horrors of horrors.  Meyer agrees with the subjective reviewers as to which amplifier sounded better!

But until he starts doing proper DBT preference testing, his comments have no better intellectual support than theirs. It is all GIGO.

Garbage in, garbage out indeed.  Yet Krab says your work is obscure and his is relevant information!  He doesn't understand that preference can very much be subject to bias.
Amir