Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sure 2X100 amplifier any good? (Read 9347 times) previous topic - next topic

Sure 2X100 amplifier any good?

Curious if anyone's tried the Sure 2X100W amplifiers?

http://store.sure-electronics.com/audio/1aa918

The size and price of the Sure agrees with me, and I note that the case bears FCC and CE markings and hope that means I can place an AM radio nearby and not have reception swamped by EMI generated from the amp. I'd be buying 2 units to power my upcoming Linkwitz LX Mini speakers, and just probably leaving the volume controls turned all the way up, using my Benchmark DAC to control volume.

And is there any reason why the standard 24V 5A AC brick wouldn't be perfectly adequate? Though the amp is rated at 100W, I doubt I'd use 10% of that.

Alternately, I already own a Crown D75A 2-channel amplifier, and could get a second pretty cheaply. But it's bigger, heavier, and the transformers buzz slightly.

Reply #1
I've never used one of these, but it should be OK.

And is there any reason why the standard 24V 5A AC brick wouldn't be perfectly adequate? Though the amp is rated at 100W, I doubt I'd use 10% of that.
The amp is rated for the full 100W with a 32V power supply and a 6 Ohm load.  With 8 Ohms you'll get about 75% of that, and reducing the power supply will also reduce power.  So, I'd guess you're down to around 40W, which still may be enough.

and just probably leaving the volume controls turned all the way up,
That may give you too much gain, but you can try it and in any case you should be able to leave the amplifier controls fixed.

I'd be buying 2 units to power my upcoming Linkwitz LX Mini speakers
Is this some kind of passive bi-amping?  Or, is there an active crossover somewhere?  ...I don't understand why you need 4 amplifier channels for 2 speakers.

Reply #2
Curious if anyone's tried the Sure 2X100W amplifiers?

http://store.sure-electronics.com/audio/1aa918

The size and price of the Sure agrees with me, and I note that the case bears FCC and CE markings and hope that means I can place an AM radio nearby and not have reception swamped by EMI generated from the amp. I'd be buying 2 units to power my upcoming Linkwitz LX Mini speakers, and just probably leaving the volume controls turned all the way up, using my Benchmark DAC to control volume.

Alternately, I already own a Crown D75A 2-channel amplifier, and could get a second pretty cheaply. But it's bigger, heavier, and the transformers buzz slightly.

I have one (with bluetooth and remote). The standard brick is 120w, so real output is more like 50w/ch (the SMPS version might get you around 80). I would have to do a test with AM to allay your concern there, but the amp functions fine otherwise. The remote is, umm, "quirky", takes some getting use to.
I only use it to power some indirect radiators on one of my larger speakers. There is a bit of hiss with ear at speaker due to the high sensitivity drivers (>102db/watt), with lower sensitivity drivers (like your LX), it should be silent. I've had it for about 5 months now.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #4
The amp is rated for the full 100W with a 32V power supply and a 6 Ohm load.  With 8 Ohms you'll get about 75% of that, and reducing the power supply will also reduce power.  So, I'd guess you're down to around 40W, which still may be enough.

That's the sort of info I was looking for thanks. For my purposes, that should still be plenty.

I see that ajinfla has posted a link to LX Mini, but in brief yes this is a biamplified system using an active crossover (Mini DSP)

Reply #5
I have one (with bluetooth and remote). The standard brick is 120w, so real output is more like 50w/ch (the SMPS version might get you around 80). I would have to do a test with AM to allay your concern there, but the amp functions fine otherwise. The remote is, umm, "quirky", takes some getting use to.
I only use it to power some indirect radiators on one of my larger speakers. There is a bit of hiss with ear at speaker due to the high sensitivity drivers (>102db/watt), with lower sensitivity drivers (like your LX), it should be silent. I've had it for about 5 months now.

Much appreciated AJ. Yes please if you've got a radio handy please do let me know how the amp fares in regards to EMI and AM/Shortwave radios. I once had a medium-power Tripath-based amp and it was bad enough in that regard to knock out some of my FM reception as well. I came away thinking that particular chip really demanded careful attention to PCB design and grounding. And a steel case wouldn't have hurt either! Following guidelines contained in Tripath's tech notes I was able to improve the amp to where I could bring my AM radio to within about 1 M before EMI started to swamp the signal, but I'd really like something quieter than that.

How quirky is the deluxe model with remote BTW? It would seem pretty straightforward in having volume and input select, though they don't explain what the Channel Indication ( O<- ) button is for.

Reply #6
Much appreciated AJ. Yes please if you've got a radio handy please do let me know how the amp fares in regards to EMI and AM/Shortwave radios. I once had a medium-power Tripath-based amp and it was bad enough in that regard to knock out some of my FM reception as well.

Ok, it took me a while, but I found a loop antenna, connected to my Pioneer VSX-815 and I'm listening to AM for maybe the first time in 20yrs? 
The Sure is sitting directly on top of the Pioneer, about 2in from antenna (or 5cm if you're across the pond). Sounds like AM, no interference that I can detect (turn Sure on/off). I think the Tripath design was notorious for RFI. The new stuff has that all sorted. Well, at least in my system/test.

How quirky is the deluxe model with remote BTW? It would seem pretty straightforward in having volume and input select, though they don't explain what the Channel Indication ( O<- ) button is for.

Medium quirky? 
It took a while to get used to, seemed to have a mind of its own, but it now serves the purpose I needed, i.e., a remote volume controlled small powerful class d amp, for my indirect drivers.
I did test it with some bookshelfs as a "main" amp when I first got it and it seemed to work just fine, plenty powerful, no audible maladies.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #7
AJ, thanks for doing the AM radio test for me, I think these amps will do nicely.

Reply #8
Hi

I have a Sony SS-CR3000 Center and Rear Channel Speaker Package (passive) and i want to use a simple amplifier.

The Sure 2x100 amplifier has a subwoofer output. I need another amplifier for this output?

I pay $70.0 and i dont want to pay more of $100 for the amplifier for theses speakers.

Besides, i have a compact rack for my tv and i dont want lights or big amplifier.

If i dont find a simple amplifier i'll make a change for a sony home theater solution.

Ill really apreciate you comments.

Reply #9
The Sure 2x100 amplifier has a subwoofer output. I need another amplifier for this output?
Yes.  You need 3 channels and that's 2-channel amplifier with a line-level RCA subwoofer-output for an active subwoofer.

Reply #10
Yes.  You need 3 channels and that's 2-channel amplifier with a line-level RCA subwoofer-output for an active subwoofer.

Any suggestions?

Reply #11

Any suggestions?

(1) a mono Sure compatible amp

(2) Half of another Sure compatible Stereo amp