1 (0.1%)
  • Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
    16 (2.3%)
  • Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
    13 (1.8%)
  • Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
    7 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1239

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 238426 times) previous topic - next topic

• MugFunky
  • [*][*][*][*]
What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?
Reply #100
okay... bear in mind i bought this when i'd just got out of highskoo (with the pittence i made at a computer warehouse).

CD Player:  Yamaha CD-29 (old '80s hulk that doesn't work on CDs pressed after 1999... i now use a DVD player that miraculously has DTS onboard)

Amp (what the hell is a preamp??):  Yamaha A-520, 65 wpc @ 8ohm, big dents on the front, phono button must be held in...

Turntable:  not that it matters for fidelity, but it's a Pioneer PL-200, direct-drive with Stanton scratchie cartridge that hisses on loud treble.

Speakers:  Jensen DX-7, 130 watts (6 ohm), 35-24000Hz (that's what the back says )

Cables:  who gives a flying blank about cables?  can you really hear a difference?  these are thick, oxygen free copper.  i dare all-o you audiophiles to an ABX battle with the above system and more expensive cables

EQ: (i found when i got the speakers that i didn't need the EQ anymore ) Kenwood something-or-other, 7 band.

all the above (except the cables) came from 2nd-hand dealers, and i really don't want to know where they came from before that 

total cost of the above:  $1200 AUD
  • Last Edit: 08 February, 2004, 12:03:42 PM by MugFunky

• ScorLibran
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Banned
Reply #101
Well, I live in an apartment, so my most frequently used speakers are the 18mm voice coils in my Sennheiser HD-590's. 

But my home theater uses a Bose Acoustimass 10 system.      (~$1100)  And yes, they're getting replaced soon, probably with something from B&W or Martin Logan.

And the actual "speakers" attached to my preferred listening platform, which is the Echo Indigo soundcard in my notebook PC, are Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's.  (~$250)

• Deimos
  • [*]
  • Members (Donating)
Reply #102
B&W 330i, floor standing, fifteen years old
Second hand Preamp Linn Kairn, only analog connectors
Second hand Amp Linn LK100

Happy with its sound, but this system needs a big room to show its potential. Not my case, for the moment...

• DZello
  • [*]
Reply #103
I've a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 connected to the rear speaker output of my sb live. It sounds not that bad.
Happy listening: Cambridge Audio Azur 540C -> 540A -> Mordaunt-Short 902
Grado SR-60

• ChangFest
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #104
Pair of Polk Audio Lsi9
Marantz SR-68 Reciever
Marantz CC-4000 CD Player
Sony MDR-V600 Headphones
Rio Karma

• GodFinger
  • [*]
Reply #105
Well, I have got Audio Pro Stage 6.
Working quite good

• Patsoe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Members (Donating)
Reply #106
I have a pair of Technics SB-F1mk2 speakers, which my parents used to use.

They're small, sitting on my desk. I can't find much info on the net, other than that they were built in the early 80's, and cost about 200 dollars back then.

I like them a lot - bombproof build quality, with very stiff and heavy cabinets, and the 'honeycomb discs' (whatever that means) produce a very bright kind of highs, which I like especially (lady singers...).

Only one complaint: the connectors on the back (both 8ohm and 4ohm) are of the spring-loaded clamp type. My speaker wire constantly flips out of it

Reply #107
My main speakers are a pair of 80's JBL 240 Tis.  They're 3-ways with a 14" low driver, and one of the best tweeters that JBL ever produced.  They weigh about 85 lbs apiece and have gorgeous teak cabs.  Picked them up off eBay a few months ago for ~$300 ( they were $2k when new ).  Couldn't be happier ( although my neighbors might disagree ).

My main listening chain is an Adcom GFP-555 pre-amp into a Hafler p3000 power amp, inexpensive Yamaha 5-CD changer and an old B&O turntable.  No fancy cables.

I have my main stereo hooked up to my computer via the line-out on my SB Live!.

Reply #108
Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Beethoven - ~ 3800 €
(http://overture-audio.com/product_lines/vienna_acoustics/beethoven.html)

Amp: AVM Evolution A2 - ~ 2000 €
(http://www.avm-audio.com/products/a2_big.html)

Sources:
200 € Sony CD Player from 1995
PC via Audigy 2 analog out

Reply #109
Infinity Kappa 9.2i series II
  • Last Edit: 18 June, 2004, 11:40:59 AM by Lord Steele

• flat_top
  • [*]
Reply #110
Genesis Physics (model II) purchased new circa 1977 for around $260/pair.  They came with a "lifetime warranty", but since the company went bankrupt in the 80's, the warranty is worthless.  When the drivers disintegrated about twelve years ago, I was fortunate to find a supplier of replacement drivers at a reasonable cost.  So I'm still in business with these old puppies, glad they're still working ... BUT part of me wishes they would die a clear death so I would have an excuse to go shopping for a new pair.   

Here are some photos from the guy who makes the replacement drivers:

Genesis Model II

• ASmith
  • [*][*]
Reply #111
Here's my system..

Audigy 2 >> Link ICs >> NAD C320 BEE (Tara Labs Prism 5 as jumpers >> Analysis Plus Clear Ovals >> Monitor Audio S2.

Sounds pretty decent.. refined, natural and transparent.

• Siku
  • [*]
Reply #112
I have two years old Amphion Argon's (that pic is of Argon2, but the first version of Argon looks the same).
Harman/Kardon AVR 505
Pioneer DV-360

Reply #113
Creative Labs T2900.
My room is little, and it isn't good for wave propagation 

Byebye Saverio M.

• cabbagerat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #114
My System is all homebrewed stuff:

Live! Digital Out > Homebuild DAC (based around CS4334) > Homebuild Elliot P3A > Homebuild 2 Way monitors (GR Research Woofers and Morel tweeters).

It sounds really good for how much it all cost me (about ZAR4000). I am planning on replacing the Live! digital out with a USB 24/192 DAC of my own design - still busy routing the board for that one though.

I also have a Logitech Z560 set for watching movies (and listening to Doef-Doef music) as my little bookshelf units don't really represent below 55Hz.
Simulate your radar: http://www.brooker.co.za/fers/

• DonP
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Members (Donating)
Reply #115
Genesis Physics (model II) purchased new circa 1977 for around $260/pair.  They came with a "lifetime warranty", but since the company went bankrupt in the 80's, the warranty is worthless. 

Maybe someone should tell the folks at Genesis that they went bust:

Genesis website

BTW, the 5 foot ribbon driver in the Genesis 1 (now replaced by the 1.1) is the same as in my home made speakers described somewhere nearer the start of this topic.

Edit: if they DID go bust and someone bought the company cheap they may still be liable for the warrantee.
  • Last Edit: 04 March, 2004, 06:27:38 AM by DonP

• kheops
  • [*][*]
Reply #116

• flat_top
  • [*]
Reply #117
Genesis Physics (model II) purchased new circa 1977 for around $260/pair.  They came with a "lifetime warranty", but since the company went bankrupt in the 80's, the warranty is worthless. 

Maybe someone should tell the folks at Genesis that they went bust:

Genesis website

BTW, the 5 foot ribbon driver in the Genesis 1 (now replaced by the 1.1) is the same as in my home made speakers described somewhere nearer the start of this topic.

Edit: if they DID go bust and someone bought the company cheap they may still be liable for the warrantee.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the old Genesis Physics Corporation (New Hampshire) has any connection to the current Genesis Advanced Technologies (Seattle), other than they share similar names.

• wizkid
  • [*]
Reply #118
Soundcard: M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96
Amp: Denon PMA-925R
Speakers: Dali 6006 (bi-wired)
Headphones: AKG 240s
Cables: Dali Python / Tara Labs

• h41cyon
  • [*]
Reply #119
[computer]
soundcard: sblive! soon to be audigy 2 zs
speakers: klipsch 4.1 - just got em and enjoying them very much
headphone: sennheiser hd-280 + sennheiser px 200

[car]
head unit: jvc kd-sh909
front spks: kicker 02k6.2 components
rear spks: Kappa 62.5i coax
spker amp: US accoustics USX-4085
sub: Infinity Kappa 120.3dvc
sub amp: US accoustics USX-2100

• rtilghman
  • [*][*]
Reply #120
Linn Keiledhs driven by a Creek CD player and bi-amped from an Arcam 7 Integrated (tweeters) and an Arcam 8 PowerAmp (woofers).

The Keiledhs had the warmest and most accurate sound I found in their price range, and far beyond any lower priced speakers I demoed at the audio store I bought them from.

I had considered going with NAD for the amps due to a warmer and more robust sound when paired with the Linns.  However, looking at the NAD I had a feeling they just wouldn't stand up to long term use like the british made Arcams.

-rt

• mj-barton
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #121
Soundcard:  Audigy2Z
Speakers:  Klipsch 5.1 Ultra

I just got the speakers the other day--a nice upgrade from the Klipsch 2.1 Promedias.  I must say I like these a lot.  Won't be to long till I look a getting a high-fi setup with nice reciever and amp.

• smz
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #122
My "sound chain":

On a daily basis:
- Intel D815EEA MB with 933MHz P3, 512MB RAM, 280GB internal storage, 200GB external firewire storage, Matrox G400, 21" Sun (Trinitron) monitor. (yes, time to upgrade to P4, I know...)
- Plextor PX40-TS CD-ROM
- EAC
- Lame 3.90.3 APS or WMA Lossless (thinking about AAC now....)
- Winamp 5 with Shibatch/Otachan in_mpg123 - DirectSound Output Plug-in
- TerraTec EWX 24/96 sound card
- Revox B150 amplifier (around 1980)
- JBL 4301B Control Monitor speakers (around 1980, woofers rebuilt 2 times)
- AKG K4 electrostaic headphones (sooon to be replaced)
- My ears (obsolete stuff...    )

Seldom used:
- Revox B-126 CD player (on sale!!!  )
- Technics RS-BX727 cassette deck
- Teac X-3 reel-to-reel analog tape recorder (still working, wow!!)

Cheers!

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperor | Sennheiser HD430)

Reply #123
PSB Stratus Bronze + PSB Image 8C Center (hope to upgrade to a Stratus C5i center soon) + PSB Image 2B for the rear surrounds.

NAD T-741 receiver
NAD T-532 DVD/CD player

PSB + NAD is an awesome combination. 

My sound card in an Audigy2Z.

• lucpes
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #124
Had some 'upgrades' since my last post:

M-Audio Revolution>DIY 200W mosfet amp>Infinity Reference Standard II
http://oellerer.net/infinity_classics/RS_II/RS_II_6.jpg