Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audibility of "typical" Digital Filters in a Hi-Fi Playback  (Read 328554 times) previous topic - next topic

Audibility of "typical" Digital Filters in a Hi-Fi Playback

Reply #625
Is there evidence that digital filters like those used in digital speakers and room correction devices are free of "deleterious" effects on audio signals ?

Reply #626
Is there evidence that digital filters like those used in digital speakers and room correction devices are free of "deleterious" effects on audio signals ?

It is hard to prove a negative. Is there any evidence that digital filters cause "deleterious" effects on audio signals?

Reply #627
It is hard to prove a negative. Is there any evidence that digital filters cause "deleterious" effects on audio signals?
Yes. In the Best Peer-Reviewed Paper under discussion conclusion no.1 is:
FIR filters that emulate downsampling for sample rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz can have a deleterious effect on the listening experience in a wideband playback system.

I was just wondering if it was a good thing to test the effect of (steep) digital filters by using a playback system that apparently contains several digital filters. The specifications of the playback system are:
192 kHz D/A convers, wide frequency response (up to 40 kHz), very low differential group delay and compact impulse response with insignificant ringing.
There is quite some anecdotal evidence about audible effects of digital filters, so to me an all analogue path after the DAC would make more sense. Perhaps a reason could be that Meridian doesn't have any non-digital speakers ?

Reply #628

Since a lot of them run at 44 or 48 KHz, we're back to the same old controversy. Lets put it this way, if set for flat frequency response they seem to hold no more potential for audible terror then any other reconstruction filters with the same corner frequencies.

Not all room correction devices are the same - the two main competing technologies involve on the one hand digital filters that emulate traditional minimum phase paramatric and graphic equalizers and crossovers, while on the other hand we have those that are FFT-based equalizers. Just to keep us on our toes, the FFT-based equalizers often  seem to actually be hybrids, and mix both technologies because of the computational load of real-time high resolution FFTs, particularly at low frequencies. We are in the land of proprietary technologies, and these details are often far from being forthcoming.

Reply #629
Even if you could show "deleterious" effects of real-world filters, it doesn't seem to matter, because as Meridian writes:
Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too, due to primitive filters. After painstaking research, Meridian developed a special filter [...] cleaning up the effects of early filters.

(Let's ignore the fact that this is partly false, because aliasing is virtually impossible to remove from any sampled piece of inadequately filtered music. In other words if the A/D conversion is crap, you cannot un-crap it.)

Also see #539 for a demonstration.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #630
Yes. In the Best Peer-Reviewed Paper under discussion conclusion no.1 is:
FIR filters that emulate downsampling for sample rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz can have a deleterious effect on the listening experience in a wideband playback system.

I was just wondering if it was a good thing to test the effect of (steep) digital filters by using a playback system that apparently contains several digital filters. The specifications of the playback system are:
192 kHz D/A convers, wide frequency response (up to 40 kHz), very low differential group delay and compact impulse response with insignificant ringing.
There is quite some anecdotal evidence about audible effects of digital filters, so to me an all analogue path after the DAC would make more sense. Perhaps a reason could be that Meridian doesn't have any non-digital speakers ?

I don't know all the details about the Meridian speakers, but the fact that the Meridian supplied frequency response curve only goes up to about 40 KHz suggests that they may be based on 96 KHz sampling.

Reply #631

According to BS/Meridian regarding the stuff they sell, no, they are transparent:

According to world renown expert JJ, no.
Let's start:  "how do you even imagine that one can hear a difference between two systems, one with noise 98 dB down and the other 146dB down, when the level is set to peak at 96dB?"

How do you (Amir) explain how "obviously difference" fails to show up in even the worst kind of ABX test? (unless it is the unsupervised, Windows pc, online cheatable variety, which are worthless and unrelated to the anti-ABX BS paper)

I have yet to see a whit of evidence that "high-rez" matters for final presentation to a listener.  Have you any, bearing in mind that citing non-blind-testing proves nothing but the incompetence, the complete and total incompetence, of the person citing it as evidence.

Bear in mind the hard evidence for the persistance of loudness memory while you're at it.

08-01-2014, 10:07 PMjj_0001 avsforum
I have my doubts that SACD or DVDA are much, if any, of an improvement, but the test is just blisteringly hard to run, and more likely to respond to artifacts, either positively or negatively, than it is to actual differences. Time alignment, level alignment, frequency response in-band can all throw it positive, lack of training, bad test environment, bad time alignment, etc, can also cause false negatives. Subject verification, likewise, is an important issue.

So, I remain undecided, but I note that I own a lot of CD's and not a single SACD or DVDA, except for some people have sent me.

According to subjectivist Amir, no, no deleterious effects of HF filtering, not with this $50k amp he sells and waxes about subjectively:

In comparison testing I have done, switching amplifiers using the classic class D configuration always sport incredible low frequency control and power. They beat out linear class AB amplifiers almost regardless of price. What they give up though is high frequency fidelity which I find somewhat harsh. The distortion is highly non-linear and challenging to spot but it is there. The Mark Levinson No 53 is the first switching amplifier I have heard which does not have this compromise. Its bass is amazingly authoritative: tight and powerful. Yet the rest of the response is absolutely neutral and pleasant.

If you have not heard these unique amplifiers, I highly encourage you to come into our showroom for a listen.

He even admitted to not hearing audible issues with 16/44 earlier in the thread, caught himself, slid, two stepped and then played his usual word games with, what he really meant was "problems".

IOW, there is zero reason to $pend more on "Higher Resolution" of 2channels, 10% of soundfield recordings - which no audiophile on earth, can demonstrate hearing on their systems, unless they create pathological scenarios, like cranking them up to dangerous levels with cherry picked material, in an iso-ward.

cheers,

AJ

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #632
Even if you could show "deleterious" effects of real-world filters, it doesn't seem to matter, because as Meridian writes:
Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too, due to primitive filters. After painstaking research, Meridian developed a special filter [...] cleaning up the effects of early filters.

(Let's ignore the fact that this is partly false, because aliasing is virtually impossible to remove from any sampled piece of inadequately filtered music. In other words if the A/D conversion is crap, you cannot un-crap it.)

Also see #539 for a demonstration.

There is a lot of vagueness in the statement "Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too..."  What is an Early Digital Recording? Do they all sound the same?  Is something created with the early one-off recorders made in several Japanese labs? Is it the first 3M digital mastering system? Is it a PCM-1 or a PCM-F1? Is it the first or second generation Soundstream recorder?

Despite all the Golden-Ears wailing about Bop 'Till You Drop, there are many who think it still sounds great. I don't recall anybody complaining too hard about the Telarc Soundstream based recordings whether distributed on digital or vinyl. So, where's the beef?

On balance digital mastering and production bypassed the slings and arrows of analog tape self-erasure, azimuth and saturation losses, and they can be audible.

Reply #633
There is a lot of vagueness in the statement "Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too..."

I have found more. In other places they talk specifically about "conventional 44.1/48 kHz sampled CDs and DVDs".
And:
This ‘apodising’ filter is so effective that it can correct problems further up the chain – even including fixing faults in the original recording.

What does their special filter look like? In SoX check allow aliasing, increase the bandwidth and set to min phase. That's it.

Reply #634
The apodizing filter starts to roll off at a lower frequency, and more gently, than a typical brick wall linear phase filter. It is asymmetric in the time domain, with minimal/no pre-ringing. It's not linear phase (though it's linear up to about 18kHz).

It will remove ~22kHz ringing in recordings. It will also reduce/remove aliasing above 20kHz (as well as real content of course).

If you count these things as faults, and have a recording that contains them, then it's true to say that this filter removes faults from the original recording.

There might be some combination of listener, recording and speaker where the slightly earlier attenuation of ultra high frequencies is audible.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #635
In the most characteristic "subjective audiophile" fashion I am having a strong audio gut feeling that you purpously misquoted Meyer and Moran. They mean exactly the oposite of what you are saying since 2007.

That is a very illogical affirmation. It should have said it sounded diferent (not better). it s that from a scientific paper??!!

Dynamic range compression does not depend on audio format. It is a choice made by the recording technician. Didn't Meyer and Moran know that?! I don't think they said that. I don't think you can be trusted as a source of information. Can you show some evidence?

Meyer and Moran 2007, presented evidence that a simple downconversion of 'hi rez' commercial releases to Redbook rates was not detectable under blind, level-matched conditions by a variety of listeners using several setups (including a professional recording room, and including gear and discs chosen by the listeners to be revealing).  The paper ends with a 'Note on High Resolution Recordings' that explores why such recordings are reported to 'sound better'  compared to CDs (a report they affirm).  Here is that section

Please read it in full and ponder the implications of their thesis:

A Note On High Resolution Recordings
Though our tests failed to substantiate the claimed advantages
of high-resolution encoding for two-channel audio,
one trend became obvious very quickly and held up
throughout our testing: virtually all of the SACD and
DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs—
sometimes much better. Had we not “degraded” the sound
to CD quality and blind-tested for audible differences, we
would have been tempted to ascribe this sonic superiority
to the recording processes used to make them.

Plausible reasons for the remarkable sound quality of
these recordings emerged in discussions with some of the
engineers currently working on such projects. This portion
of the business is a niche market in which the end users are
preselected, both for their aural acuity and for their willingness
to buy expensive equipment, set it up correctly,
and listen carefully in a low-noise environment.

Partly because these recordings have not captured a
large portion of the consumer market for music, engineers
and producers are being given the freedom to produce
recordings that sound as good as they can make them,
without having to compress or equalize the signal to suit
lesser systems and casual listening conditions. These recordings
seem to have been made with great care and
manifest affection, by engineers trying to please themselves
and their peers. They sound like it, label after label.
High-resolution audio discs do not have the overwhelming
majority of the program material crammed into the top 20
(or even 10) dB of the available dynamic range, as so
many CDs today do.

Our test results indicate that all of these recordings
could be released on conventional CDs with no audible
difference. They would not, however, find such a reliable
conduit to the homes of those with the systems and listening
habits to appreciate them. The secret, for two-channel
recordings at least, seems to lie not in the high-bit recording
but in the high-bit market.

Reply #636
The fact is that the market for 'hi rez' in and of itself -- as for all 'audiophile'  niches -- is tiny relative to all audio content sales.

That's right.  So any argument that this is all about making a lot of money is without merit.

And sales arent always about the 'resolution'.  I've bought quite a few 'high rez' releases myself in the past few years....because they included 5.1 mixes and bonus tracks and 'flat transfers' of original masters, which are what I *actually* cared about and *obviously* make a difference.  I had to buy the 'high rez' edition to get them.

So for those reasons you don't want to bad mouth these new distribution channels.  If you enjoy non-copy protected multi-channel content, your only path is to get it from the same outfits that sell stereo high resolution.  To get more variety of such content, you need to be supportive of what they are doing, not spreading so much negative vibe.  Be positive.  Be constructive.  Let the market develop.  Get what you need out of it, i.e. multi-channel releases without copy protection, and others can get that or stereo.  More choices is always good for consumers.

Even so, if that changes -- if hi rez becomes the norm, if the industry somehow decides to replace all the most popular forms of profitable audio delivery content (currently CD and  lossy compressed downloads and streaming) with 'hi rez' as the default ...

Not going to happen in a million years.  What is going to happen is CD will get squeezed out.  It is a physical format and requires inventory.  It lacks convenience and the mass market could not care less about its incremental fidelity.  And the people who care about fidelity will accept with open arms digital downloads at > CD fidelity or higher number of channels as you prefer.  CD becomes a no-man land with high cost to keep in market.

Unless they commit at the same time to 'old school' mastering, it won't matter to those who actually understand the differences.

How would you "understand" the difference if all you have in your hand is a CD and compressed MP3/AAC?  The only way you would know there is or is not something better is to get the upstream stereo mix.  One of two things will then happen:

1. It is the same master in which case it may or may not demonstrate a small incremental fidelity.

2. It is a better master in which case the merit is obvious and something we all violently agree we want.

By making a case against high resolution you are throwing the baby with the bath water.  You are biting your nose despite your face.  You are forestalling option #2. 

The average consumer might 'believe' they got 'better sound' that 'even your wife could hear',

Never seen any such "average consumer."  Average consumer thinks all of us are crazy to talk about this stuff and has no understand or care about any of this.  They are listening to compressed music and it is all they want.  Convenience and adequate fidelity.  Their needs are being met by the industry.

The problem for us, the audiophiles, is that after nearly 40 year introduction of the CD, and for the first time ever, the fidelity bar is going backward.  Once CD gets diminished, that would be the day of mourning for anyone caring about fidelity.  We allowed technological advancement to take us backward from what we want as audiophiles.

The high resolution/multi-channel distribution is a gift to us all.  It really is.  As you correctly said, the market is tiny so it has no business existing.  But exist it does and it is growing due to fast conversion from physical media to media servers among audiophiles.  Audiophiles like myself enjoy the convenience of digital distribution and for the right content, I don't mind the premium price.

Tap dancing CD Fearmongers need to STOP saying we need hi rez to get good sound.  That's a lie.  We don't.  We need good recording and mastering, and good listening setups

As I explained above, your assumptions about this market are totally wrong.  Music business has always been about combination of technology and business.  You must know and appreciate both components.  Average Joe caring about high res?  Did you really think that?  Do you really think you will get your multi-channel releases if you convinced people there is no value to high resolution music?

Lack of experience in the field is what is steering you wrong Steven.  You can't just operate from the point of view of what you have read on argumentative forums.  You will continue to lack a real feel for the levers that drive music market and consumer acceptance.

Your arguments have all been rendered moot.  They have.  We are getting high resolution releases and that is that.  No amount of jumping up and down is going to change things.  The barrier to adoption is far lower than it was for physical media in the form of DVD-A/SACD.  It costs next to nothing to have digital bits spinning in the cloud for whoever wants to come and consume it.  And consume they are.  In 2007, that battle was fought in stereo magazines and enthusiast circles.  This is not 2007.  Consumers can share knowledge at speed of light and should a high res release come out with better  mastering it will be snapped up and snapped fast.  No one will come and check to see what you,xnor, arny, etc. think.  You have been rendered irrelevant I am afraid.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, AudioScienceReview.com

Reply #637
How would you "understand" the difference if all you have in your hand is a CD and compressed MP3/AAC?

The mention of MP3 and AAC is just another off-topic red herring from a seemingly habitual creator of them - obviously the work of a very desperate poster who knows that he has long ago lost the argument for lack of relevant facts and reason.

The only relevant discussion relates to the CD.

It was simple science.

(1) I created a suite of recordings of music and high bandwidth natural sounds @ 24/96 using microphones with 40+ KHz bandpass.

(2) Using myself and friends as guinea pigs I ABXed them with downsampled/upsampled versions of themselves.

None of us could hear a difference.  This was > 14 years ago when my hearing was much more sensitive to subtle differences.

The only way you would know there is or is not something better is to get the upstream stereo mix.

Which is/was not exactly rocket science. The name of the group of people who did this was Legion. The results were pretty consistent. Nobody heard nuttin'

One of two things will then happen:

1. It is the same master in which case it may or may not demonstrate a small incremental fidelity.

Easy enough - been there, done that.

2. It is a better master in which case the merit is obvious and something we all violently agree we want.

The implicit false claim here is that the only way to obtain a better master is to up the sample rate and/or word length. That has long been disproven by means practical examples.

The core weakness is that reliable unbiased information about better sound is like hen's teeth. As I keep pointing out even such information that was published in the JAES as part of a peer reviewed article seems like just anecdotes.

By making a case against high resolution you are throwing the baby with the bath water.

The problem with this false claim is that after a long and diligent search, there was no baby.

Reply #638
"
"

So what do the second and third sentences mean?

That audiophiles are less likely to purchase a well mastered recording if only available on a CD or CD format (44/16) download?

Is the CD well that poisoned by unnecessarily bad product?

Reply #639
I think Amir you're a little guilty of wishful thinking.

Audiophile record labels create great sounding hi-res releases. They create great sounding CDs too.

Meanwhile mainstream-ish content, when it makes it out in hi-res, is a real mixed bag. I don't have a feeling for the proportion of good vs disappointing releases out there, but of the few I've tried, most have been disappointing. In a few cases a great SACD from an audiophile company has eclipsed an old and ropey mainstream CD. Without SACD, the same company would have put out an audiophile CD.

I'll happily give credit where a new master, released in hi-res, beats all available CD issues. I just can't join in with this fiction that the improvement in sound quality is due to the number of bits.

As for the price...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Midnight-Nat...e/dp/B004C6QCXM

Cheers,
David.

Reply #640
I don't know all the details about the Meridian speakers, but the fact that the Meridian supplied frequency response curve only goes up to about 40 KHz suggests that they may be based on 96 KHz sampling.
Meridian's website specifies for the speaker model DSP7200SE input:
1x balanced digital (AES/EBU) input on RJ45; 32kHz–96kHz sampling rates at up to 24 bit; MHR support. RJ45 input also carries RS232 and trigger.
[/size]
The main reason for my question was that where ringing artifacts of a >20kHz filter are expected to be above the audible range, filters in a speaker can be expected to be in the audible range. We don't know how steep these filters are and if they might influence the test of filters above 20 kHz.
The speaker's pulse response in Fig.1 doesn't show any pre-echo. Should that be sufficient evidence for a pre-ringing-free speaker ? The amplitude scale isn't very precise.

In general my objection to hi-res tests is that the higher format is automatically assumed to be the better quality. I would prefer a suitable acoustical source as reference, although reproducibility might be difficult in practice. Especially transducers (microphones and speakers) introduce noise and distortion, so eliminating them from the reference sound seems like a good idea.

Reply #641
I think Amir you're a little guilty of wishful thinking.

No.  I know David Chesky, the founder of HD Tracks.  I know Bruce Brown.  He remasters a ton of high-resolution content for release in outlets like HD Tracks.  And I have a decade of experience working with music labels, getting their buy-in, working with digital music distributors, etc. I go to shows and spend a lot of time talking to manufacturers of equipment.  And do the same when they come to visit us at Madrona.  So while anyone's crystal ball may be faulty, I am not talking about wishes.  What I said is the consensus of the industry as of this moment.

Here is a recent reference showing the same:

Subjective Evaluation of High Resolution Recordings in PCM and DSD Audio Formats
Authors: Marui, Atsushi; Kamekawa, Toru; Endo, Kazuhiko; Sato, Erisa
Affiliations: Tokyo University of the Arts, Adachi-ku, Tokyo, Japan; TEAC Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
AES Convention:136 (April 2014)

This is how the paper starts:
While the music industry actively releasing perceptually
coded (lossy) versions for almost all new music releases,
high-resolution audio production and consumption
also is increasing attraction supported
by
broader bandwidth of the Internet realizing the music
distribution over the Internet and production of
relatively affordable high-resolution capable sound
recorders from several manufacturers.

This is the trend in the industry and there is no denying it.  High resolution audio distribution is becoming more popular and thank heavens for that .

Audiophile record labels create great sounding hi-res releases. They create great sounding CDs too.

They do.  Doesn't change what I said about the CD as a physical format being squeezed out.

Meanwhile mainstream-ish content, when it makes it out in hi-res, is a real mixed bag. I don't have a feeling for the proportion of good vs disappointing releases out there, but of the few I've tried, most have been disappointing. In a few cases a great SACD from an audiophile company has eclipsed an old and ropey mainstream CD. Without SACD, the same company would have put out an audiophile CD.

Not in the future.  Small audiophile companies have a severe need for move to digital distribution.  Their volumes are low and producing physical goods very onerous.  This is why David Chesky, one of those boutique labels was the one to spearhead HD Tracks.  Their future most definitely is online distribution and at better than CD specs.

I'll happily give credit where a new master, released in hi-res, beats all available CD issues. I just can't join in with this fiction that the improvement in sound quality is due to the number of bits.

Then don’t.  My argument is the former.  That is why I say all of this technical discussion, listening test, etc. are moot.  We have a path to get better masters.  We better support that as to have a lifeline for high quality releases in the future, lest we want to get stuck with MP3/AAC.  As I mentioned, I routinely run into music that I want to buy that has gone directly to MP3/AAC and is not available on CD.  IF we don’t help grow the high-fidelity distribution of content, that will be our future.  It is not a future I like.
As for the price...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Midnight-Nat...e/dp/B004C6QCXM

I don’t get your point.  The SACD is £50.16 and the CD, £43.78.  So neither is cheap for this special edition.  HD tracks doesn’t have that title but it sells another in high res for $40 US or £25.  So there, it is cheaper than the CD.   
Amir

Reply #642
Then don’t.  My argument is the former.  That is why I say all of this technical discussion, listening test, etc. are moot.

So the 25 pages of mostly nonsense you posted here are all moot, just as the logs you throw around.

Great music doesn't come from the format.

Btw, you don't even need to produce a log for imp_urhp.wav. Just listen for 4 seconds and tell us what you hear in your system.
If you can remember, you even specifically asked me to create such a file. What do you fear, losing 4 seconds of your life while wasting thousands of seconds on these replies?

Reply #643
Let's see, argument ad populum, red herring, fear mongering..... 

Bieber being released straight to MP3, oh the horror, the horror.

Now, about this BS paper....

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #644
That is why I say all of this technical discussion, listening test, etc. are moot.  We have a path to get better masters.

Good sounding recordings are the products of human skill and initiative. Now that good ADCs, microphones and other production equipment has become so highly affordable, human skill has become the universal weakest link.

Trouble is, you can't package up human skill and initiative into a bunch of numbers.

The great loss to the world of audio related to the belief in magic sample rates and word length numbers is that it distracts from the most relevant issues which are human skill and initiative.

Reply #645

The implicit false claim here is that the only way to obtain a better master is to up the sample rate and/or word length. That has long been disproven by means practical examples.

Again, I couldn't care less about offering high res delivery, I'll take it, or standard,  or  even lossy.  I have heard *every one of them* produce results that sound excellent to me.  ( I *prefer* a lossless version so that I have more choice in making my own lossy versions. ) Those factors are NOT where the current problems with home audio lie.

I *do* care about the *deliberate* confusion of cause and effect that high rez cheerleaders are fomenting, for the same reason I care about any consumer bamboozling.

Even if they hew to the line 'buy this new high rez version because the mastering is better', the High Rez marketers are obscuring the truth.

The *transparent* line would be

that audiophile sound quality you are noticing right away isn't *due to* the high rez format, it's *due to* the mastering

Since the informed consumer might then ask some embarrassing questions, which the Amirs  of the industry would consider a *dangerous* line of inquiry, we won't see that line.  It's too honest.

Reply #646
Let's see, argument ad populum, red herring, fear mongering..... 

Bieber being released straight to MP3, oh the horror, the horror.

Now, about this BS paper....

The flood of off-topic posts should be interpreted as about as close to an admission of defeat as you'll get from a certain person.

Off-topic post = troll

Reply #647
"
"

So what do the second and third sentences mean?

That audiophiles are less likely to purchase a well mastered recording if only available on a CD or CD format (44/16) download?

Is the CD well that poisoned by unnecessarily bad product?

I think those are perhaps the most fascinating lines.  They echo Amir's hand-wringing, but from a different perspective and with a different thrust ,  coming after the paragraphs before them, where M&M report anecdotes from audio engineers indicating that the industry has purposely created a two-tiered mastering system. This, in turn, fosters a 'high bit market'.  IOW, we get better mastering because of  a market that has been persuaded that the improvement comes from the *format*.

(M&M seem unaware of objective evidence for this in  'hybrid' high rez releases like the Dark Side of the Moon) SACD)

Reply #648
The only relevant discussion relates to the CD.

It was simple science.

(1) I created a suite of recordings of music and high bandwidth natural sounds @ 24/96 using microphones with 40+ KHz bandpass.

(2) Using myself and friends as guinea pigs I ABXed them with downsampled/upsampled versions of themselves.

None of us could hear a difference.  This was > 14 years ago when my hearing was much more sensitive to subtle differences.

Hi Arny.  Perhaps we should fill out more of this story as you told it on AVS. 

It went like this:

Quote from: Amir on AVS link=msg=0 date=
Fortunately, the above speculations are not true.  With complex music signals the limit of audiblity is more like 16 KHz due to masking, and that is more than plenty far enough away from 44.1 KHz with modern digital filters.

Ah yes.  I recall you saying this before:

I've done experiements with sliding brick wall filters down to lower and lower frequencies. Usually, they start being barely audible around 16 KHz.

Can you please outline those tests?  Were they double blind or sighted?  And was the person performing the tests had his hearing tested to make sure they could hear above 16 Khz?

And a reference to masking of everything above 16 KHz would also make for great bedtime reading for me .

You kindly replied with this:

I did what I said in the previous post. I made recordings of live  musicans in an exceedingly quiet and non-reverberent room @24/96 using 1/4" measurement mics that had strong content > 20 KHz, even 30 KHz.

I set up an ABX between the 24/96 files with a 16 KHz brickwall filter, and with full bandpass. I used speakers and amps with strong response > 30 KHz and put the listeners on axis of their supertweeters.

Were they double blind or sighted?

both

The training sequence was files brick walled at lower frequencies such as 9 KHz, and working up in logical steps.

And was the person performing the tests had his hearing tested to make sure they could hear above 16 Khz?

Yes.

So this testing was done at 32 Khz sampling.  As you know I and a number of other people passed this test.  So clearly you hearing was not that sensitive even then .

Amir

Reply #649
Kind of like the ballparks that were selling small and large beers but the amount in each was about the same.