Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod nano in my car. USB vs jack (Read 3021 times) previous topic - next topic

iPod nano in my car. USB vs jack

Hi everyone,

I use iTunes to manage my playlists and podcasts and I would like to use an iPod in my car. I would also like to be able to put 5 stars to a song and I know it is not possible if it is connected through the USB.
What about the output power if it is connected to the AUX using a double jack?
I can't set the traffic announcement volume so I wouldn't want to put the radio too loud...

I hope it is understandable :-).

Thank you, have a nice day!

Reply #1
Hi everyone,

I use iTunes to manage my playlists and podcasts and I would like to use an iPod in my car. I would also like to be able to put 5 stars to a song and I know it is not possible if it is connected through the USB.
What about the output power if it is connected to the AUX using a double jack?
I can't set the traffic announcement volume so I wouldn't want to put the radio too loud...

The output level of an audio device connected through a 3.5 mm TRS input connector is determined by the device's basic characteristics, the car radio's design,  the device's volume control, and the volume control of the car's radio.

You'll have to try it to see.

Reply #2
As far as I know, you can't charge/power an iPod from the 3.5mm audio jack.

I've got an aftermarket docking-adapter in my Honda, and my iPod classic with about 15,000 songs "lives" in the center console compartment.  From the car stereo, I can skip ahead or back, or pause, but my stereo doesn't display the song/artist information.  And, it's constantly powered-up. 

My other vehicle has a stereo like this where you stick the iPod inside the stereo.  This one fully supports the iPod docking port and the songs show-up on the stereo's display.  Bu as far as I know, I can't change a song's star-rating from the stereo.

Neither of my setups is advanced enough to interrupt the music for a traffic announcement.

Reply #3
I run my phone through the AUX of my car stereo for streaming and typically have to up the volume to get any appreciable output from the stereo.  OTOH, my stereo supports my iPod directly to hooking it up via the docking port (I have a classic, but it supports lightning also) so that I can control the iPod from my head unit, with display on the head unit screen.  As far as I am concerned, this is the way to use an iPod in the car.

Reply #4
Thank you everyone for your answers.

Have a nice week-end! 

Reply #5
I use the nano in my car using BT 4.0, that's all I need.

Have a nice day.