Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: should i boy Dali 505 speakers (Read 11997 times) previous topic - next topic

should i boy Dali 505 speakers

As i have absolytly NO hi-fi knowledge i really would like an advice on this deal

i can buy 2 dali 505 speakers at the price of 800-900dkr
The dali 5005 is 1.999dkr. so it below 1/2 price

Are they worth it or should i make an pass and buy something else ?

800dkr = 125$ =  75£
900dkr = 141$ =  85£
1999dkr = 314$ = 188£
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #2
Ciao..

505 is the big brother to the classic
alrounder 404.
in my opinion the 404 was kinda *oil drum*
from mid bass to 900hz.. and the tweeter
sounds OK.. *typical vifa*
but again.. it`s depending on the
position..

the 5005 better sounding
but is harder to *rom-adjust*..

anyway the 5005 at that price
is a bargain.

Reply #3
Do you have some descriptions/specs/links/reviews for the speakers? What amp will you use?

edit: http://www.audioreview.com/Main,Speaker/Da...56_1594crx.aspx

Next time you can google it yourself

its just that i dont trust audiophiles.. many times they are more religios and lack reason.

I better trust the HydrogenAudio users as they tend to do more scientific testing (ABX, double blind test etc) and doesn't relly and subjective and placebo effect.

Those of my friends that are audiphiles are still believe that some of there audioCD contains 24bits sound but only very god cd players can read then beacuse the bits are hard to read....
I have tried to educate them about dithering and that more bits are not harder to read from the laser. But they refuse to listen.

and the think copying af audio cd to image on  arddrive and burn it out will result in degraded sound compared to on-the-fly copy.

anyway the 5005 at that price
is a bargain.

you are forgetting that Dali is Danish. so is only natural htey are cheaper her in Denmark then in the rest of the world.

but should i go for the505's ?

i haven really thougt of the AMP yet
but its probaly going to be the Denon AVCA11SR
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #4
Ciao..

it seems like i was totaly off..
when it came to model names..

505 specs:

1" softdome tweeter
2 x 6,5" bass/midrange
Freq: 37-25.000 Hz (+/-3db)
sencetivety: 91,5 db
splitting at: 3.500 Hz
RMS: 111 db
86/22/30 cm
13 kg pr.stk

relatively high sensetivety.. so a 2x50
should move them well.. but i would go for a 2x75
(most modern speakers realy runn nominal at 4ohm..
i know seas are..) /calculate/

BTW:
        i assume your offer.. is thrue *HI-FI Klubben*
        the same chain in norway.. don`t have the denon
        you are talking about.. (maybe other model name..
        or this is brand new..)

Reply #5
sven > Those of my friends that are audiphiles are still believe that some of there audioCD contains 24bits sound but only very god cd players can read then beacuse the bits are hard to read....

You need smarter friends. Did you ever see "Lawnmower Man"? The drug that was used on Jobe may be available on the street there. I get volume discounts from my dealer and use it all the time. Works so well that I find mowing lawns boring now and I no longer consider 32 kbs mp3's to be CD quality. If only you could slip your friends a mickey...

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #6
i assume your offer.. is thrue *HI-FI Klubben*
        the same chain in norway.. don`t have the denon
        you are talking about.. (maybe other model name..
        or this is brand new..)

yes actually i was looking at hifi-klubben for the amp

http://www.hifiklubben.com/dk/show.php?fol...roduct=AVCA11SR

The amp is probaly overkill for the speakers
but i alwasi liek getting god value for my money.
and i belvei the 505 is that when its this low in price
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #7
Ciao..

yes this is overkill..
but on the other hand.. you get the best from
the speakers..
7x125 8ohm
4ohm 

interesting use of words:
alwasi liek & belvei

Reply #8
Are you sure your 5005 price is right? Assuming you are talking about new ones.
After loooking at Hi-Fi klubben both in Denmark and Norway, i got the impression that in Denmark, they still sett the price per speaker, but in Noway they now sett the price a couple. If I'm right, you have to pay 3998,- DKK for 2 Dali 5005. This makes it an even better deal for you if you buy the 505 at 1/4 that price. The 5005 are still cheaper in Noway at only 3.534,- DKK (as 100,- DKK is 113.07,- NOK).

Anyway, IIRC the "classic alrounder 404" n68 is talking about is actually the 104. I've been a happy owner for 10 years  I paid 1540,- NOK (x2) back then, and my amplifier for that period has been a Denon PMA-680R (2x65W). I have never listened to 505 or 5005, but I still would buy 505 at that price any day. I'm not really a fanatic audiophile and have not ABXed my 104, but I still enjoy good music alot.

My conclusion: If you even look at speakers in that price range I can't imagine that you'll be dissapointed with 505.

Reply #9
Ciao..

IIRC the "classic alrounder 404" n68 is talking about is actually the 104

a slip of the tounge/finger in this case..

Reply #10
My knowledge might be outdated:

Dali is a Danish speaker branch, owned by the same man, who owns the chain, HIFI-Klubben, in Denmark. Same man also ows a major part of NAD and a minor part of Denon. During the 80s and up til earli 90s, HIFI-Klubben was a shop fopr Audiophiles. Shops only open 4 hours a day, highly dedicated and knowledgeable employees. They gave really good customer service, like 2 year full warranty on all products, except 5 years on speakers. Much better than the mandatory 1 year at the time. They only sold (and still does) products where they had exclusive import rights. Really nice, since you cannot compare prices with other shops.

A simililar chain existed in the 80s, it was called AudioScan. They used a similar concept as HIFI-Klubben. The two chains used to run really wild ads in the 80s in HIFI magazines. They called eachother ugly names and said the other part had a too high profit margin. In the 80s, HiFI-Kluibben had some 32% profit margin, while AudioScan some 34%.

Everything changed when HIFI-Klubben bought AudioScan and merged the two chains. Prices went up and service downhill.

A really small chain called TapeConnection (been around for decades) reran one of the wild ads HiFI-Klibben ads from the 80s in late 90s. Except that they claimed that HIFI-Klubbens new profit margin now was a whopping 47% - several percent poitns higher than the other established HIFI chains. That is of course after the 25% VAT.

So if the speakers cost 800 DKK in the shop, then there is 640 DKK left after VAT and 340 DKK left after profit. You do not get much speaker for that kind of money. I do not know anything about Dali speakers. But check out www.DBA.dk - they have several used Dali speakers - you can at least compare prices. I always buy HIFI used - takes some 50-80 off the price.

Reply #11
I sold hi-fi stuff for years and I can only tell you the following.

Speaker designs tend to be hit and miss. Even within a given manufacturers line-up, there will be speakers that sound much more pleasing than others, so the best way is to listen to as much stuff as you can.

The second thing is that the list price on speakers is hugely inflated compared to the dealer cost. The list price is usually 3X what the dealer cost is. So half price on a lesser speaker is still not such a great deal.

Check out some B & W if you have the time. I have never been so impressed with a line of speakers as a whole as these.

Reply #12
Ciao..

about dali:

for a couple?? of years ago.. vifa
merged with scan-speak.
scan-speak produce *top-notch* elements..
such as the fab. radiator ring tweeter.
and a 6.5, 10 and 12..

vifa have some really good tweeters.
and mid-ranges.. the woofers goes pretty deep.
but have to much compression.. for my taste.

the dali company.. know uses vifa on top.
and norwegian "seas" on mid/bass
seas produce low-end & hi-end elements ..

the future range of dali.. will use vifa/scan-speak
right now vifa/seas.. and that`s not a bad combo.
at all..
i have read some articles on dali filters/cabinetts..
from *nils nørby*.. and he`s conclusion
is that dali will benefit from tweaking..
but in general.. one of the best *low-budget*
speakers there is..

BW is very good.. but the sound is totally different..