Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Long Article on Current Vinyl Trends (Read 7615 times) previous topic - next topic

Long Article on Current Vinyl Trends

Reply #1
Its becoming almost a trope.

Reply #2
In a few years, there will be people writing their psychology PhDs about the vinyl revival.

Are there really people who got rid of all their vinyl, bought CDs, and now are buying the same things again on vinyl? To be fair, newly pressed vinyl on a decent system will sound better than worn out vinyl on a rubbish system AND sometimes sounds better than some modern clipressed CD releases, but there are decent CD version available of most recordings that are old enough to have been re-bought like.

It's a strange bit of consumerism and fashion. Something is not quite right though: I have heard about it a few times in the mainstream press (i.e. I'd know about it even if I wasn't interested in audio) but I don't know one person in real life that it applies to. Maybe it's skipped my generation.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #3
In a few years, there will be people writing their psychology PhDs about the vinyl revival.

Are there really people who got rid of all their vinyl, bought CDs, and now are buying the same things again on vinyl? To be fair, newly pressed vinyl on a decent system will sound better than worn out vinyl on a rubbish system AND sometimes sounds better than some modern clipressed CD releases, but there are decent CD version available of most recordings that are old enough to have been re-bought like.

It's a strange bit of consumerism and fashion. Something is not quite right though: I have heard about it a few times in the mainstream press (i.e. I'd know about it even if I wasn't interested in audio) but I don't know one person in real life that it applies to. Maybe it's skipped my generation.

Cheers,
David.

When I buy new, I buy digital. Still mostly discs, but a few downloads here and there. When I buy new, I am looking for specific albums.

When I buy second-hand, I usually buy vinyl, and trust to serendipity when it comes to browsing for discoveries instead of looking for one title or artist in particular. I find the CD section of second-hand shops to be a very uninspiring selection in my experience.

Maybe it's my age... but I enjoy what I buy either way. I never got rid of my original LP collection, though, so I don't quite know what to make of people who buy the same record again and again. The only time I've re-bought (if that's a word) anything is if there has been a major upgrade, like bonus tracks that aren't just filler. Examples: the 4CD set of 'The Last Waltz' and the excellent expanded re-issues of the Triffids' albums from a few years ago.

Reply #4
I tried to leave out reference to the 'vinyl revival' trope from the link because I think the article is interesting in it's own right.

It's not really yet another attempt to boost vinyl commercially. Not how I read it anyway.

I enjoyed reading about how they kept the technology alive in the former East Germany.

I'm also determined to go to one of the 'Classic Album Sunday' recitals. Sitting round with a bunch of like minded folks listening to albums on vinyl was how I first enjoyed music as a teenager. Usually at the home of whichever of my mates Dads' had the best stereo. It was fun and I'd like to recreate that.

It's not about 'vinyl is better' so much as nostalgia and reconnecting with the physical world and other like minded people in the flesh. You might even get to talk to people which you cannot usually in a club.

Reply #5
It's a strange bit of consumerism and fashion.

I can't find the source right now, but an interesting bit I read is that an estimated 15% of new vinyl purchases are never listened to.

Maybe you buy the vinyl as a fashion statement (e.g., to frame it on the wall or display on your shelf). Maybe you buy it after you read you can support your favorite artist better by buying his vinyl releases as opposed to listening to the releases on Spotify. Maybe you buy it for certain special occasions (it's a lot more involved listening to a vinyl album than to put on a tune via the YouTube app running on your phone).

I think there's some truth to the fashion thing (the fact that Urban Outfitters is the largest vinyl retailer in the US supports this) but there are other reasons to buy vinyl as well (e.g., vinyl-only releases, being a placebophile, wanting to have large, beautiful artwork, wanting to support your favorite artist, etc.)

Reply #6
I can't find the source right now, but an interesting bit I read is that an estimated 15% of new vinyl purchases are never listened to.

Maybe it's being bought as an investment? Sealed vinyl has historically been an appreciating asset.

Thanks Ronald, great article, best quote ~ "The truth is in the groove"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #7
The article is nice because it doesn't have much sidenotes about the bads of digital. It is more about the love to a classic like old cars.
I guess even pure digital pinheads like me develop fuzzy feelings with music media. Just lately i found myself handling the obi of a cd as if it was some old egyptian papyrus
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #8
The beauty of LPs is that they wear out and are subject to physical damage, hence people buy multiple copies of their favorites.

I could see kids enjoying thrift-store LP playback as a cheap hobby, but $26-35+ albums of classic rock? I wonder if those are aimed more at their parents or grandparents, the same ones buying fully-loaded 6 liter Dodge Challengers, Chevy Camaros, Ford Mustangs etc? Men of a Certain Age with Disposable Income seem to be a pretty hot niche market these days.

Reply #9
Did you read the article? If you haven't got any evidence you might get TOSed!

The article claimed 50% of the audiences were female and there was a fair spread of ages.

Customers in Rough Trade and other London record shops I frequent are mostly male as you might expect but predominantly young blades in their twenties which you don't.

It's the other way round in my experience. Old blokes buy second hand records and young hipsters buy them new.

Reply #10
Chit chatting with an audio salesman yesterday in a high end audio salon, with a window display flilled with numerous turntables and Led Zep's recent boxed set of LPs, he claimed to me that 1 in four audio components he sells (recently) is a turntable.