Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Oldest/lighest still useful version of iTunes to use on Windows? (Read 3326 times) previous topic - next topic

Oldest/lighest still useful version of iTunes to use on Windows?

For some reason it seems to be I have to use iTunes.

Oldest/lightest still useful version number?

Reply #1
Useful in what way? iTunes were never light on resources on Windows, so just use newest available - if nothing, for newest version of encoder.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #2
Thanks.

Reply #3
I'm not sure why but the newest version of iTunes keeps telling me my cloud session has expired and wants me to log in again - despite the fact that I never used their cloud to begin with.
And while subjective, the interface on the newer version is not nearly as nice for me as older versions. But that seems to be my feeling about most software (e.g. I despise the interface on Gnome 3 etc.)

But I only use iTunes because it is one of the more popular podcast clients so I have to test with it.

I have however heard a lot of problems from people using newest version of iTunes in combination with live365 and other internet radio source clients (to broadcast, not listen) - so depending upon what you are doing, newest may not be best even if you don't mind the new interface.

Reply #4
Personally, I am sticking with iTunes 10.7.

I tried version 11, but after I saw how they completely broke podcast management, I downgraded back to 10.7.

Reply #5

It's a terrible idea unless your computer is not connected to the internet. There are exploits in the wild for numerous security holes in older versions of iTunes and QuickTime. That goes for all platforms. However, one would reasonably guess that the actual risk of an infection is highest on Windows.

Reply #6

I tried version 11, but after I saw how they completely broke podcast management, I downgraded back to 10.7.

Holy crap is podcasts still such a massive fail. I knew the new app was crap when they took podcasts out of the Music app, and on iOS6 you could revert. But recently I tried to upload some homemade recordings to "podcasts" in iTunes to an iOS7 iPhone 4S of a friend and goddamn they made it so much worse! Only one of the podcasts was showing on the iPhone, not even the first one, and another one showed up only after you deleted the first one. It seems a lot of people have been having this problem for months now. I couldn't even change the recordings to "music" type because then iTunes threatened to erase the iPod's media content if I wanted to sync.