Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 splicing (Read 2194 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 splicing

I am a DJ looking for a facility that can recognize the metadata in an mp3 file and allow me to skip between tracks within an mp3.

working on a mobile app that showcases my current work and archived mixes. I typically create 1 hour mixes that have say.. 16 tracks on one MP3  and am looking to have trigger points for artwork and information as well as the primary goal of a mini fast forward rather than simply skipping to the next mp3

Total 20th century digital novice.. please help!!

MP3 splicing

Reply #1
I am a DJ looking for a facility that can recognize the metadata in an mp3 file and allow me to skip between tracks within an mp3.

working on a mobile app that showcases my current work and archived mixes. I typically create 1 hour mixes that have say.. 16 tracks on one MP3  and am looking to have trigger points for artwork and information as well as the primary goal of a mini fast forward rather than simply skipping to the next mp3

Total 20th century digital novice.. please help!!

Though MP3 has technically been able to support chapter marks for many years, it's basically not 'liked' as a feature so you'll probably struggle to find decent library support unless you take a privately developed lib or community branch. (and let's not even get into potential licensing/redistribution issues...)

MP4 supports chaptering, as can also be seen with Quicktime playback on Apple devices (if you produce the output file correctly, it's a very neat experience complete with stills and summary text). As AAC is also a better* format than MP3, you may wish to consider producing an .mp4 with AAC content and chapter metadata.

A quick 'n dirty alternative would be to use your MP3s as-is but include .cue support for skipping... It means one extra file (which could in theory be database-produced on the fly from a webserver if you were of that mind) or just a static file you made with cuetools or Your Favourite Cuesheet Creation software prior to upload/distribution.
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!

MP3 splicing

Reply #2

Though MP3 has technically been able to support chapter marks for many years, it's basically not 'liked' as a feature so you'll probably struggle to find decent library support unless you take a privately developed lib or community branch. (and let's not even get into potential licensing/redistribution issues...)

MP4 supports chaptering, as can also be seen with Quicktime playback on Apple devices (if you produce the output file correctly, it's a very neat experience complete with stills and summary text). As AAC is also a better* format than MP3, you may wish to consider producing an .mp4 with AAC content and chapter metadata.

A quick 'n dirty alternative would be to use your MP3s as-is but include .cue support for skipping... It means one extra file (which could in theory be database-produced on the fly from a webserver if you were of that mind) or just a static file you made with cuetools or Your Favourite Cuesheet Creation software prior to upload/distribution.
[/quote]

Fantastic.. thanks very much!! i'll be sure to remember you when i take over the world!!