Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripped CD-Rs in DBPA - What exactly does "Secure" mean? (Read 2149 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripped CD-Rs in DBPA - What exactly does "Secure" mean?

Hi all

A little while ago I ripped a CD-R which was showing in AccurateRip. 13 of the tracks ripped fine and were Accurate/Confident. The last track did not. But it did rip "securely".

Here's the log for that last track:

Track 14: Ripped LBA 273452 to 321747 (10:43) in 0:33. Filename: J:\_FLAC\Bob Dylan\[1966] Blonde on Blonde\Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde - 14 - Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.IGNORE
Secure [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 1]
CRC32: D446E3D4 AccurateRip CRC: 81A36D62 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 014-00232eaf-0176a896-d710c10e-14]

--------------

14 Tracks Ripped: 13 Accurate, 1 Secure

On playback the last track is awful. It skips glitches and is generally all over the place.

I wondered if someone could please explain what "Secure" means in the context of this rip? I have a lot of CD-Rs to rip in the future and would like to understand as best I can what the results are telling me (without having to listen back to each rip for errors).

Many thanks

Max

Reply #1
"Secure" means identical results were obtained for the initial read and all subsequent re-reads.  As opposed to "insecure," which means that there were differences between successive reads of the disc.  The problem with Secure is that your CD may have consistent errors that will be read the same on each pass.  So no differences are found between reads even though there are errors.

AccurateRip then tries to determine whether a Secure rip contains errors by comparing your results with those of others who have ripped the same disc.  With respect to your log file, if all preceding tracks checked out in AccurateRip but then the final track did not, this is usually a sign that there were errors with the track.  The more results there are in the AccurateRip database (indicated by the number in parentheses), the more likely it is that your track has a problem if it only shows "Secure."

Occasionally you may have an obscure or out-of-print album that doesn't get any matches in AccurateRip because no one else has tried to rip it yet.  In this case, "Secure" is the best you are going to get because there are no accuraterip entries to compare against.

Reply #2
- In Options, scroll down and toggle on or off the option to read into lead-in / lead-out. Try again.
- Try EAC and/or CUEripper.

What happens?

I have actually had quite a few cases where only the last track fails to verify as Accurate; I suspected it was this overreading where some drives return digital silence at the very end while others do only return near-silence, but looking back at it I am not so sure that the last track was any more overrepresented than the first. And as long as there were no audible issues I stuck with them.

Reply #3
Thanks for the helpful responses guys. 

All is clear now, and I think in the case of the CD I was talking about, it is simply a case of the disc having the same error recognised on each pass and therefore coming as Secure (as fluzzknock explains). 

@Porcus - I no longer have the CD I'm afraid so I cannot do as you suggest.  But thanks for the idea.  I do think that even if I could try it, in this instance to world be a case of a defective CD would consistent faults, which therefore allows it to pass as Secure. 

Cheers