Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS playback via SPDIF (Read 2799 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS playback via SPDIF

Here is my situation:

Phonic Digitrack on Windows 7 with Polytec usb-audio.com ASIO drivers.

Using Reaper I can capture DTS from Laserdisc. Captured file is here

It plays back in Reaper & ALSO plays back in fb2k with SPDIFER plugin for foobar2000 v1.1+ via Digital Out to external Aplifier (that does the decoding)

So all is fine.

But nothing can be done with the file (besplit does not work on it)

If I pick DTS Piano trailer & demux it with vobrator, the resulting file does not play (digital noise)

besplit can deal with this wave, and produce .dts
But this .dts is also not playable (same digital noise)

I understand that the captured file is bit perfect & fb2k plays it back as such to an amp

But why does not play "proper" dts file?

And does anybody know how to process captured file

Code: [Select]
(which shows as:

WAV, 2.0 channels, 0:00:29, 16 bits, 1411kbps, 44.1kHz

Length: 0:29.115
Sample rate: 44100
Channels: 2
Bits/sample: 16 (int)
Total samples: 1,284,007
Blockalign: 4
Datablock start: 736
BWF chunk:
Originator: REAPER
Date: 2014-02-05
Time: 19-50-10
Start offset: 0:00.000

so it could be muxed to mkv

Thanks

sebus

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #1
DTSDigitalSound-16bit.wav really is a 2.0 PCM wav-file, while piano(vob001-bd-89).wav is a 5.1 DTS wav-file. LAV Filters and MPC-BE's DirectShow filters can play the latter no problem.

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #2
OK, I can deal with .dts playback

But how to get DTS out of the raw spdif capture (obviously DTS stream IS there, as it plays perfectly fine via Onkyo Amp using foobar2000 & spdifer plugin

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #3
I just succesfully tested FFmpeg, FFmpegSource and eac3to. They can all open piano(vob001-bd-89).wav and I'm confident there's even more (open-source) software that can handle DTSWAV, so enough choice.

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #4
But I am talking about my OWN Spdif capture

Which plays to an amp, but can not be processed by anthing else

sebus

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #5
Oh, sorry. Like I said, DTSDigitalSound-16bit.wav really is a 2.0 PCM wav-file, so unless you can configure your capture thing to create real DTSWAVs, there's not much to process except noise.

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #6
Oh, sorry. Like I said, DTSDigitalSound-16bit.wav really is a 2.0 PCM wav-file, so unless you can configure your capture thing to create real DTSWAVs, there's not much to process except noise.

No, it is NOT noise. It is perfect DTS if played via SPDIF out to an amp using fb2k with spidifer plugin

Noise is only produced by ac3filter that tries to decode it (or do something else "clever")

I never yet came across anything that could allow capture of dtswav directly (do you have any suggestion? - usb hardware & software)

sebus

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #7
All my problems came from capture which had "Left and Right channels inverted"

Once quick channel swap in Audacity and resulting file is proper dtswav, which can be processed with besplit

sebus

DTS playback via SPDIF

Reply #8
A really good playback device is ESI U24XL (at acceptable money)