Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wish item - sort folder structure according to date modified (Read 1973 times) previous topic - next topic

wish item - sort folder structure according to date modified

For me - there is too much stuff out there which does not fall easily into genre or artist.

So I end up using file structure all the time, but I rue the lack of a sort by mod time for that list

Being able to sort by date modified or better still date introduced is two fold - first one can access new stuff more easily and second one can get a pretty good mental picture of where something is by remembering other music one was discovering at a around the same time.

Well - it would be nice to stamp introduced date somehow but that creates headaches

Certainly mod date is not fool proof in the above sense since it changes any time one changes file names or other stuff but it probably works for most most of the time - and is easier to program since it can be read from the file system.

Hopefully - as  a modest request, there is some chance that this will appear sometime

thanks for considering

Reply #1
file>preferences>media library>album list

add this as a new view

Code: [Select]
$date(%last_modified%)|$replace($substr(%path%,4,1000),\,|)

you can tinker with the number 4 as the start point of the path you want to use. in this example, it simply omits the first 3 characters like d:\

Reply #2
this is quite useful and I am implementing the code - but I wonder if there is a way to see the list as flat - ie just the folders sorted according to date modified.

What happens here is that all the folders are placed in 'buckets' which relate to a month (say) and one has to navigate with quite a few clicks to see what is in that month. Mostly it is not important what particular month the modification occurred - just to see the folders in sequence.

One cannot see what is contained in these buckets without at least 3 clicks (in my case) and that means rather than the grand overview one has a myopic view. That is fine if you just want to see the most recent changes but mostly I would not have a clue what was going on last June (for example)

thanks for any ideas

file>preferences>media library>album list

add this as a new view

$date(%last_modified%)|$replace($substr(%path%,4,1000),\,|)

you can tinker with the number 4 as the start point of the path you want to use. in this example, it simply omits the first 3 characters like d:\

Reply #3
Assuming your file structure is consistent, you could try:
$date(%last_modified%) - $directory(%path%,1)

This will list the folder your files are located in. If they are in a subfolder (e.g. disc) you can try increasing the number after %path%.

Or rather just:
$date(%last_modified%) - %album%

As far as the modified numbers go, you can't hide those using album list as its sorting is based on the alphabetical order of what is shown.