Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Better" Sound: Headphones with Receiver or Ipod (Read 3474 times) previous topic - next topic

"Better" Sound: Headphones with Receiver or Ipod

I am having trouble with the theory behind this. If you have a nice Yamaha receiver for example, and an Ipod, will (identical) music files sound better with the headphones on the Ipod or receiver, or will it matter.

The understanding I have is that there are "amplifiers" for headphone outputs, I think. Would the receiver do better? I guess the answer could also be "it depends".

Thanks for any input.

Reply #1
Many receivers have poor headphone output, while the ipods have extremely good headphone output, so its unlikely that the Yamaha will be better, although you may not notice the difference depending on the model and the specific headphone's load.

Reply #2
I am having trouble with the theory behind this. If you have a nice Yamaha receiver for example, and an Ipod, will (identical) music files sound better with the headphones on the Ipod or receiver, or will it matter.

The understanding I have is that there are "amplifiers" for headphone outputs, I think. Would the receiver do better? I guess the answer could also be "it depends".

The better portable digital players are better optimized for driving headphones. The Sansa Clip/Fuze for example provides a low source impedance, has adequate output, and includes a graphic equalizer.

As good as it gets with receivers is a dedicated headphone amplifier that provides a low source impedance.

For example Yamaha's RXV-2700 mid-line AVR drives its headphone jack with a BA15218 op amp. http://datasheet.octopart.com/BA15218-Rohm...et-14139886.pdf

IMO this is not optimum - there are very competent headphone driver chips, but this is not one of them.  The BA15218  shapes up as a general purpose chip that is limited to only +/- 50 ma which nets out to less than 1 volt into 16 ohm headphones.

Competent headphone amplifiers need not be esoteric complex or expensive. The  ca. $20 Fiio E5 is one that I use when the device I'm listening to lacks a competent headphone jack.

Reply #3
Many receivers have poor headphone output

That's really odd. Why would such a device have a core component that's "poor", and how would I recognize this poorness?

Reply #4
Thanks for the replies. The answer is a little counter-intuitive to me, but I guess it also makes sense given the clear explanations.

Reply #5
Many receivers have poor headphone output

That's really odd. Why would such a device have a core component that's "poor", and how would I recognize this poorness?

Headphone jacks on AVRs tend to be an afterthought these days.

On portable music players they are a key component for the sound quality of the whole device.

On an AVR only a tiny fractions of the purchasers even use them. I had to look to see if my AVR had one...

Reply #6
Makes sense.

Thanks for the informative responses!