Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Auto-Tune with Ableton Live (Read 3077 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto-Tune with Ableton Live

Hi,

during my live sets I also use my voice and, because this has flaws, I'm wondering if it's possible to correct it with a "software-side" Auto-Tune in Ableton Live.

There are topics in the Internet regarding this, but I have a doubt about it.

In fact, when I use my Shure Beta 58A, I plug it into the TRS/XLR socket in my DENON DN-X1700 mixer, and then I see the MIDI indicator lighting.

I don't know, then, if the mic signal (voice) goes directly out to the loudspeakers/master out without being processed, or if it gets processed someway.

I think it's the latter, because of the MIDI indicator - in my opinion, this tells that there is processing between my voice input and the master output in the loudspeakers.

Assuming what's been said, do you know if Auto-Tune is possible with Ableton Live?

Also, I don't know exactly what Auto-Tune does. A classic view would say that it mantains a steady cadency even if the voice really doesn't, but I'm ignoring what this really means in everyday life

I have a "rolling R", could Auto-Tune help in this?

Thanks in advance.
Tyrexionibus

Auto-Tune with Ableton Live

Reply #1
I've never used AutoTune.  I've seen hardware AutoTune devices that can be used "live", but I don't know if it can be used in real time with Ableton Live.

AutoTune automatically fixes notes that are sharp or flat.  It's used to correct pitch, usually for a singer.  In other words, it's used when a singer hits a "sour note".  As far as I know, it does not change rhythm or cadence, and that's not it's main purpose.

Your voice is NOT being converted to MIDI.  If it was, it would no longer sound like a human voice!  MIDI is software control, usually of a MIDI instrument.  But it might also be use to control your mixer.  A MIDI file contains the notes & timing to automatically play a synthesizer, or a MIDI keyboard can be used to control "virtual instruments".    Most of the background music you hear in movies is now done with computers & MIDI instead of using a real band or orchestra.  But, MIDI can't "fake" a human singer.

You can "process' sounds without using MIDI, such as equalization (adjusting bass & treble, etc.), compression, or reverb/echo, etc.