Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EMI copycontrol copy protection (Read 3335 times) previous topic - next topic

EMI copycontrol copy protection

I live in Melbourne, Australia & had yet to be troubled by the new copy protection schemes being implemented until now, I purchased the Snoop Dogg's single "Beautiful" & found it had "Copy Controlled" protection.

Program = EAC V0.95 PB3

Cyber Drive 52x = Failed to detect CD
Plextor 24/10/40A = Failed to detect CD
Pioneer DVD-106 = First 3 tracks where detected as audio the next as data & there was also an unspecified 5th data track. The first 2 track ripped without errors but the 3rd showed "Unhandled exception, at ASPI32.3740 -> ASSIGN-RANGE"then EAC closes.

It comes with a software player which plays back 48kbps versions of all the tracks. I would guess the files are WMA+DRM files.

http://copycontrol.emi.com.au
copycontrol@emi.com.au

Reply #1
Did you insert the CD before or after EAC is started ? It is important that EAC is started before the CD is inserted, and that in "eac/general", "disable autostart when EAC is running" is checked. Then you can try the different TOC recovery methods.

Reply #2
Whoooogrrraaa.... I set my drive from MMC1 to MMC2 & now it detected & ripped all 4 tracks!!!

tanks Pio .

Reply #3
What type of copy protection does the CD have?
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #4
Sounds like CDS200 behaviour to me.
Same as Radiohead's and Blur's new albums in Mexico (in fact, here EMI is the only label using this technology)
I had no problem with my LiteOn, other than it taking awfully long (0.7-1x ripping speed, first row of error correction lighting up constantly) it recognized the correct times of the audio tracks and a data track on the end. Ripped flawlessly, "no errors ocurred".
On my second drive, a generic DVD 10x drive that came with my computer, I have to manually detect TOC first. The times are off with those reported by the LiteOn by 1-2 frames for each track. After this, I made an image and cue sheet (this drive rips, also flawlessly, at 4x) and then I changed the cue sheet with one made by the LiteOn (I assumed that since the LiteOn always detects the TOC those values are the "right" ones). Burned a backup. Mounted image on Daemon Tools and made MP3s.
So, I definitely don't like this protection sh*t, and I normally wouldn't buy such CDs, but since these are two of my favorite bands and since my hardware seems to handle them, I went for it.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com