Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File formats - what do you like ? (Read 8292 times) previous topic - next topic

File formats - what do you like ?

Reply #25
Archive: FLAC, ALAC, some WMA lossless.  Whatever was convenient at the time.

PC: ALAC for my favorites with the benefit of easy availability for quick encodes.  The rest is iTunes Plus/qaac v256, Lame V0, Halb27's Lame fork, and GooglePlay 320kbps mp3 purchases.

Portable:  My old Rockbox'd Sansa E280R for the car with FM Transmitter- A Mix of Vorbis q5, mpc-standard, aac 128kbps cvbr, and Lame V4. Mainly Vorbis and mpc for better battery life with a very good quality to space ratio.

Higher quality lossy on my Rockbox'd Sansa Clip Zip:  iTunes Plus/qaac v256 and Lame V0.  Up until a few months ago, I used FLAC.  However, I decided I was tired of switching files out, I didn't need this player to have the longer battery life FLAC provided, and I sure as heck can't discern any difference in quality between FLAC and high bitrate lossy. 

As you can see, my lossy use varies depending on the situation:  Battery life, space limitations, and sound quality.

File formats - what do you like ?

Reply #26
Apple lossless for me, I use a 2TB NAS drive to hold my 500 CD's and there is still plenty of space - with NAS drives getting cheaper/ larger storage by the week, it seems common sense to rip at the highest resolution possible if highest sound quality is the goal.