Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Belt-Drive CD Players (Read 4737 times) previous topic - next topic

Belt-Drive CD Players

http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/cdplayer/index_e.html

From the datasheet for the TL3N-CE:
Most CD players and CD transports are designed with a direct-drive system, which places the motor just under the turntable and drives the spindle directly. A relatively large motor is needed to ensure adequate velocity adjustment, making it virtually impossible to be exempt from signal distortion caused by vibration and electromagnetic noise from the motor.

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #1
seems legit.

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #2
hmm... it seems I'm living in a parallel universe, the motor in my Laptop-DVD Drive is quite tiny and is also silent at low speed.

.halverhahn

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #3
My desktop computer with SSD sounds better when I wear a belt. Coincidence?
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #4
making it virtually impossible to be exempt from signal distortion caused by vibration and electromagnetic noise from the motor.

Jeez, what do they think this is, analog audio?

(And yes, I realize I'm probably stating the obvious here)

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #5
Semi-related: VPI apparently thinks it invented the direct drive turntable as this one is priced at about five times more than their Classic belt-drives that this one is derived from.  Here for the LOLs.

They must have at least really improved on the one that Technics had so ably engineered and marketed for over thirty years at a sliver of this price.

(The irony here is that DD TTs have been historically and almost universally shat upon by "purists" and audio snobs but now that VPI is making one it's worth its weight in solid gold.)
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #6
VPI probably jumped in and bought the rights to manufacturer from Technics when Technics decided the market wasn't worth their time anymore. They've dressed it up in different street clothes so it isn't totally obvious but the basic mechanism and control is probably modified very little. There really wasn't much more to be done that could be significant to audio with what Technics perfected long ago.

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #7
Hmm...$30k USD. I like the first line of the description: "The VPI Classic Direct Drive Turntable is the newest turntable in the VPI Classic line." Its the new classic.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #8
I just learned that the tonearm on that 'table is said to take 26 hours to make. (It's 3D-printed. I guess that could partially explain why they think this DD TT is so valuable. I was just comparing it to the prices of their belt-driven "Classic" line which starts at $2,799.00 on Musicdirect.com.)

...but on-topic: I'm not understanding how a belt-drive design could be precise enough for a compact disc player to even be able to function properly or within reasonable specifications for the format.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #10
Belt drive CD is more a selling point than a true technological advantage. Regardless of the mechanism - DD or belt - the motor has to produce the same amount of power. (Horse)power = torque x rpm. So you either have a large motor spinning slowly, or a small motor spinning fast. They will both draw the same amount of power, only the frequency of the noise will change.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Belt-Drive CD Players

Reply #14
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Ahahahahahaha....hahahahahahah....hahahaha!!!

Hahahahahah...hehe...eh, I believe I'll have to go and change my pants.
Thanks Pio!