Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: speaker repair (Read 4162 times) previous topic - next topic

speaker repair

I have been using, and totally happy, with a pair of Scott 188T speakers until last week when I noticed a buzz coming from one.  I peaked inside to find the woofer had blown apart, further evidenced by a small pile of rubber on the floor.  I really like these speakers but my question is this.  Is it worth fixing and if so, where might I find a compatible 10 inch woofer at a reasonable price? 

It must be obvious that I know little about such things, but I do have big ears for music.  My considerations are that the speakers are probably over 30 years old and it seems likely that if one woofer has blown up, the other one may not be far behind, although it looks and feels fine.  My other consideration is that I despise our throw away society and feel it is my responsibility to resurrect these babies.

So far I have removed the woofer.  Any advice is appreciated.

speaker repair

Reply #1
If you mean the rubber that sustains the cone to the "walls", yes, this happens with speakers. Currently, I have one set of speakers with 8'' woofer that has more than 20 years with this same problem.

It is possible to repair. It is called "refoam" the speakers. What I don't know is what prices and which places do this nowadays, and if it is really worth repairing, or getting a new woofer (i.e. not a new set of speakers, but a replacement woofer).  In fact, the one that are in my speakers was already a replaced woofer.

What is good of these old speakers is that they generally have a good wood enclosure. The bad, might be the circuitry.

speaker repair

Reply #2
If it's the rubber/foam around the rim and the cone is ok, then yes, google "speaker surround kits" 

If you need a new woofer, then (assuming the whole speaker was well designed) you need some care in matching the parameters of the old one.  That might be hard unless it has a model number or there's a listing for your speaker.

speaker repair

Reply #3
If it's the rubber/foam around the rim and the cone is ok, then yes, google "speaker surround kits" 

If you need a new woofer, then (assuming the whole speaker was well designed) you need some care in matching the parameters of the old one.  That might be hard unless it has a model number or there's a listing for your speaker.

If there is a stereo pair, the woofer in the other speaker system can be removed and run through the Thiel/Small parameter tests.

speaker repair

Reply #4
Yes, if the problem is just that the foam surround of the woofer has deteriorated, then that is pretty easily repaired. I used this company twice in the past for the same thing and was very happy, although that was about 10 years ago (with 20 year-old Electro-Voice and Infinity speakers). They might be able to help if the woofer is more damaged than that, but like what's been said, you can't just throw in any old woofer of the same size.

Good luck with this and I share your disdain for the "throw away society"... 

speaker repair

Reply #5
Do a search for "Speaker Reconing".  As long as the magnet and speaker basket/frame are not damaged/bent, the speaker can probably be repaired.    A full reconing job usually involves replacing the cone, the suspension, and the voice coil.  But sometimes just the surround needs to be replaced.  Getting the speakers repaired may change the parameters a bit, but it should be "close enough" to the original.  I'd probably get both speakers repaired so that they match.    And, if you replace  woofer, I'd replace both.

If the speaker is sealed, the "tuning" isn't as critical.  But the "wrong" driver in a ported box can result in either wimpy or boomy bass.

Parts Express sells a gizmo for $100 USD that can check the Thiele/Small Parameters of the good woofer.  But, even if you can determine the parameters, finding a speaker with the same specs will be difficult.

If you live in the U.S., Parts Eapress has a good selection of drivers too.  (I think they also do speaker reconing/repair.)

If you are considering replacing the woofer(s), you might want to download WinISD (free speaker design software).  You can enter your speakers internal volume and port dimensions, and then the Thiele/Small parameters for various woofers.    You can also simulate changing the port dimensions in software.  That's one cabinet parameter that's fairly easy to modify.    You can also add "something" inside the cabinet to reduce effective volume if it turns-out that a smaller box is better matched to the new driver.  This software can also predict the performance of a sealed box, given the parameters of the proposed driver.

speaker repair

Reply #6
Thanks to all, for your advice and comments.  This led me to do a little research on speaker repair and I think I can handle this.  It seems pretty clear that the only problem is the foam surround.  If I can find the right surround kit, I plan to refoam both woofers.  Once again many thanks for the help.

speaker repair

Reply #7
Thanks to all, for your advice and comments.  This led me to do a little research on speaker repair and I think I can handle this.  It seems pretty clear that the only problem is the foam surround.  If I can find the right surround kit, I plan to refoam both woofers.  Once again many thanks for the help.

Several years ago, I refoamed a pair of woofers.  I bought a kit from Simply Speakers in Florida whose service was prompt and helpful.  As I recall, additional hands were required, and I enlisted my wife's help.  The process was fairly simple but a little messy.