Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: usb dac for pc advice. (Read 3587 times) previous topic - next topic

usb dac for pc advice.

Russ andrews dac 1 vs Headroom Portable Desktop amp

Hi And thanks for reading this post.

I have been offered the above two dacs and really need some advice on which one to go for.

A quick google search indicates these are both good usb dacs but is one better than the other,
Have you used or got any information about these twp dacs. would love to hear your feedback.

These are old dacs from 2006, is it worth buying these or is a modern usb dac a better choice.
The russ andrews is a copy of the stello da100 signature.

Many thanks in advance. John.

usb dac for pc advice.

Reply #1
From the images I found online they appear to have been designed for somewhat different purposes.  The Andrews unit is AC-powered and lacks a headphone amplifier.  It has standard RCA-type outputs to interface with a traditional receiver or stereo amplifier.  The Headroom unit has an internal battery and can drive headphones.  It has only the 1/8" output suitable for a typical external computer speaker system.  It's doubtful there is much performance difference between the two or much lacking compared to newer designs.  That said, you may prefer the ergonomics or sound character of one over the other so it's best to arrange an in-home demo if possible.

usb dac for pc advice.

Reply #2
Hi Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I was under the impression that these two units from 2006 were a little dated, that usb dacs have advanced quite a lot since then.
However it does appear the russ andrews unit and the stello signature are still for sale.

They are being offered at £250 each (used), how does that sound. Or is a newer dac more advisable.

Many thanks. John.

usb dac for pc advice.

Reply #3
There are people who claim to be able to hear differences in different DAC implementations but they are usually quick to point out how tiny these differences are and how thy are dwarfed by the differences in other components in the chain, particularly speakers and/or headphones.

On the other hand £250 is a lot of money to spend on a second hand DAC with such limited facilities. If I had that kind of money available I would be looking at something like the Native Instruments Audio 6, Focusrite 2i4 or MOTU Microbook. You might think that all the extra abilities are more than you need at the moment but it will provide a very flexible platform for the future, the convertion quality will be excellent and these are proven, reliable  units from manufacturers with a reputation of good service and support. For reasons that totally escape me the pro and semi pro audio manufacturers represent far better value than more traditional 'hi-fi' equivalents.

Otherwise check out something cheap and cheerful from the likes of EMU, M-Audio or Berhinger.

usb dac for pc advice.

Reply #4
::

Google for "Objective Desktop Amp".

Greetings, ...

::

usb dac for pc advice.

Reply #5
Hi. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Yes, £250 does seem like lot. I am trying to get him down to £200  he is saying the headroom is just a year old.
Did a google search and it was 1k dollars when released back in 2006.

I am leaning towards the headroom, how do you think it would compare against the Native Instruments Audio 6, Focusrite 2i4 or MOTU Microbook
as mentioned.

My laptop only has usb, no optical or coaxial output.

I am something of a modder, are there any dacs at about the £250 price point which are easy to mod up, or perhaps available as a kit form.

Many thanks. John.