Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 'Waiting' is MPC killer clip (Read 16009 times) previous topic - next topic

'Waiting' is MPC killer clip

Reply #25
OK, sorry if I'm going a bit off topic, but:

Does anyone know if Sharps NetMDs does things in such a stupid manner as the Sonys?

Or is there 3rd party software for the Sonys that does things a bit more resonable?

Sure I could use the optical out of my Terratec Aureon Space, but that kinda misses the point of NetMDs.

Reply #26
OK, sorry if I'm going a bit off topic, but:

Does anyone know if Sharps NetMDs does things in such a stupid manner as the Sonys?

Or is there 3rd party software for the Sonys that does things a bit more resonable?

Sure I could use the optical out of my Terratec Aureon Space, but that kinda misses the point of NetMDs

I'm not sure what you mean by more reasonable. If you are referring to NetMD only allowing 132 or 66 kbits, that is universal across all the various NetMD brands. If you are referring to the three times check in/check out copy distribution protection, I am not 100 % sure, but I'm fairly certain that is also part of the NetMD system, and is common across all the brands.

So with Sonys or Sharps, if you want NetMD transfers, you can't go above 132 kbits.

If you want to get around the 3 times check in/check out bulldust, you can either:

Reset your OpenMG database on a regular basis so that it loses track of how many times you have transferred an ATRAC file (instructions for this are on the minidisc.org forums).

Use a media player like foobar to pump out all your files as wavs, and ATRAC encode/transfer those (which is what I do).

Use a variation of what is known as Dino's method in MD circles. You take your mp3s, vorbis files, etc and use Nero to decode and burn them to a vrtual CD. You then mount this CD and use Sony software, such as Simple burner to transfer the "CD" to MD. There is also a program known as m3u2sb, which automates this process.

I would consider using the latter, but since I came to HA, I can not live without ReplayGain, and I haven't found a way to seamlessly incorporate that yet, but I'm working on it. 

Hope this helps.

Den.

Reply #27
ATRAC ist death :[

Go use mini-CDRWs (~200MB) loaded with quite high quality MP3s.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #28
ATRAC ist death :[

Go use mini-CDRWs (~200MB) loaded with quite high quality MP3s.

Oh goody... Let's turn a thread about a problem sample with Musepack into a flame war about ATRAC vs MP3. 

Let's not go down that road...

Den.

Reply #29
Yes, I agree.

BTW, the difference on this sample is very obvious, just as described (MusePack 1.14 --standard --xlevel) - ABX 8/8
ruxvilti'a

Reply #30
Yep, me too.

I stopped after ABX 5/5, also with 1.14 --standard --xlevel.

Thanks for making us aware of this Garf.

Reply #31
Apologies this is a bit late ...

ABXed MPC standard 1.14, 8/8 times, it wasn't that easy at all. Although I was getting more confident towards the end.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #32
hmm....I wanted to see how 'gold' my ears were so I tried abxing this clip

WinABX v0.23 test report
12/26/2003 12:18:36

A file: D:\listeningTests\Waiting.wav
B file: D:\listeningTests\001_Waiting_flac_mpc.wav

12:22:36    1/1  p=50.0%
12:23:59    2/2  p=25.0%
12:24:18    3/3  p=12.5%
12:25:14    4/4  p= 6.2%
12:25:38    5/5  p= 3.1%
12:26:25    5/6  p=10.9%
12:27:37    6/7  p= 6.2%
12:27:44    6/8  p=14.5%
12:28:03    6/9  p=25.4%
12:28:17  6/10  p=37.7%
12:28:22  test finished

Looks like either my ears are bronze only or I lost my concentration towards the end.  I use mppenc 1.15r in standard mode.

Reply #33
Keep on training, don't give up.

MPC artifacts are very different from others - noisy.
Most of the time they're subtle (but not this one).
ruxvilti'a

Reply #34
Also, try at a lower quality setting first to get yourself familiar with the artifact.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #35
With mpc, inferior settings involve the usage of PNS, and a stronger lowpass. The artifacts you may heard with --radio or --thumb are not necessarily present and lowered with --standard. Some artifacts are probably different from --radio to --standard (from my experiences, the most annoying things I heard with --radio were never reproduced in -standard). Difference is not as pronounced as with mp3/mp3pro or lc-aac/he-aac, but there's something comparable with mpc (I don't now if it's due to PNS, though). Therefore, I wouldn't base my mpc-training on low bitrate encoding.
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz