Skip to main content

Topic: Is flac better than a retail cd? (Read 2845 times) previous topic - next topic

Is flac better than a retail cd?
Okay so I am relatively new to the digital audio world and I am a bit curious about flac. Is it better quality than a standard retail cd? Also, would a retail cd to flac transcode be a bad one? Would there be any loss of quality? Thanks guys!

• saratoga
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1
Okay so I am relatively new to the digital audio world and I am a bit curious about flac. Is it better quality than a standard retail cd?

This question doesn't really make sense.  FLAC is just an exact copy of something.  If its of a retail CD, then its the same thing as that CD.  If its from some other source, it may be better or worse depending on that source. 

Would there be any loss of quality?

FLAC is a lossless format, so there is no loss. 

FWIW, the wikipedia page may be a better place to start if you're not sure what something is.

Reply #2
Okay thanks, that solved my question 100%. Yeah I tried the wiki page but couldn't really find any thing about retail cd's.

• TomasPin
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
Okay so I am relatively new to the digital audio world and I am a bit curious about flac. Is it better quality than a standard retail cd?

Funny you say that, as the opposite is way more commonly (and erroneously) stated. To sum up, a properly ripped retail cd stored as FLAC is a perfect copy. Period.

Also, would a retail cd to flac transcode be a bad one? Would there be any loss of quality? Thanks guys!

No (well, CDs can be badly ripped, but that has not to do with FLAC as a format), and no. You can read up on ripping here.

Edit: I realise now saratoga adressed your questions earlier and I kinda repeated him... Silly me.
  • Last Edit: 07 August, 2013, 12:19:44 AM by TomasPin
A man and his music: http://tubular.net/